Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
EvenPrime

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
Best way to store ZL1 against Theft

Hey guys, I was reading a previous post about a guy who had his Camaro stolen and it really got me thinking.
I work 14 days on, 14 off and work in another province. Therefore ever 14 days I put the car cover on and tuck it away in my underground parking and hope for the best.
What is the best way to prevent someone from stealing it? I have wedged the car in as close as possible to the walls to prevent someone from getting the rims off and also made it really hard for them to move the car from using a jack if they were to steal it. I have a security system and two cameras as well, plus the neighbor checks it daily for me.
Should I back it into the parking spot or is this way probably the best way?
Just thoughts...
Thanks guys.
This is my first post but I read this site all the time. Just bought my ZL1 in April 2014 Absolutely loving it.
EvenPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
pull fuse #5 and #20, it won't completely prevent it from being stolen but its an easy thing to do to assist in the prevention.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I would say your in a good spot. I'd turn my wheels all the way right and lock the column and then pull a couple fuses so it can't be started. Also, you could wire in a battery cut off switch in the trunk, a manual one, so it has no power.

Congrats on a very nice looking car BTW.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
Ray_Cam_SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
GARAGE.
Ray_Cam_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
you could wire in a battery cut off switch in the trunk, a manual one, so it has no power.
No power = no Onstar GPS Tracking and no car alarm.

Do what your doing, keep backing in so a tow truck with a wheel lift has a harder time, cut the wheels as mentioned and pull those fuses. The car cover can be helpful and hurtful. 1. it hides the car from those who don't know what it is or it's value but 2. for those that do know, they now know your out of town...
Old 07-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
sounds like it's already ft knox.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
The cars that were stolen recently may have been hacked. There is an On Star spoof that simulates an accident and unlocks the doors. The other way is with an RF simulator. The device simply rolls codes until the doors unlock. In either case once the doors are opened the On Star module is disabled and the car is towed off to get stripped. The RF simulator also works to open garage doors if the door system is not using rolling code tech.

I would focus on making it hard to tow, or flat bed away, and try to disable as many of the convenience things as possible, The ease of use things are becoming the ease of theft.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Insure it for a fixed amount and stop worrying. If they take it, you can get a new one. Don't loose sleep over it.

Or maybe leave a few bullet casings on the floor board and a dirty shovel in the trunk and it might come back with a nice wax job and an oil change... (sarcasm)
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Best way to store ZL1 against Theft

No matter what you do it can be stolen. Mom had a Buick Regal Grand National in 1987 and the thieves dressed in auto garage gear with a toe truck towed her car away while she was shopping. Two plain clothes people followed her into the store and radioed (before cell phones) to the others in the parking lot who stole and chopped the car. They were part of an organized ring.

And not to scare you more but look how easy it is in this video even when you seemingly have the car blocked in.

http://youtu.be/WOoW2gsIIfk

CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I agree - about the only thing you can do is pull a few fuses (fuel pump, injectors and the like) and pray.

If someone wants your car badly enough, they're going to get it. It's an unfortunate truth.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
My ZL1 is parked in garage on a lift 9 feet off the ground. My wife's car is parked under the ZL1 so I can tell you it is not going anywhere.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
J666

Drives: Camaro
Nothing screams steal me like a car in an underground parking lot with a Camaro cover on. I'd take it off, and make sure you have proper insurance. Stop losing sleep over it.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Do what you can, but it was only another $75 a year insurance wise to get the "replacement" coverage.

Annoying car thieves, what a stupid life.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider2 View Post
pull fuse #5 and #20, it won't completely prevent it from being stolen but its an easy thing to do to assist in the prevention.
What does #5 and #20 do?
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote