Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
Street
12.1 @ 117 (Motor)
11.7 @ 129 (Nitrous)
Nitrous Outlet Single Nozzle Kit | Stand Alone Fuel Cell w/ C16 | Custom Grind Cam | Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT Headers | CAI Intake | ATI Super Damper | BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Links | Prothane Polyurethane Sub-frame Bushings | JDP Upper Control Arm Bushings | MT Drag Radials | Tuned by SS Motorsports
Youtube Channel:
Click Here
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
The reason for this rule and you being forbidden from racing the car until you cage it is because your car was certified from the factory with it's stock safety equipment at the stock power levels. The NHRA is protecting itself, and the track, from lawsuits. They already have given a very large amount of leeway in allowing modified cars to run without additional safety equipment down to 11.5.

By signing the safety form and submitting to a technical inspection you are attesting to the fact that you have read the NHRA rules (which clearly you have not), understand them (which clearly you don't care to) and are consenting to all provisions therein. If you wreck and cause injury to yourself, another racer, spectator, track official, etc because your car had a catastrophic failure due to power levels/ times faster than NHRA regulations stipulate and you concealed it? Lawsuit city, population YOU.

The rules exist for your safety and the other racers, they are not there to ruin your fun.

Do yourself a favor and either cage it (you can get NHRA cert'd cages with removable side bars) or take some of the power out of it so it's slower than 11.49, those are your only two options if you want to race the car.
The nhra does not cert 5 or 6 point cages.

I'm not sure where some of you come up with this info bit you are misinformed the general public.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Quote:
The reason for this rule and you being forbidden from racing the car until you cage it is because your car was certified from the factory with it's stock safety equipment at the stock power levels. The NHRA is protecting itself, and the track, from lawsuits. They already have given a very large amount of leeway in allowing modified cars to run without additional safety equipment down to 11.5.

By signing the safety form and submitting to a technical inspection you are attesting to the fact that you have read the NHRA rules (which clearly you have not), understand them (which clearly you don't care to) and are consenting to all provisions therein. If you wreck and cause injury to yourself, another racer, spectator, track official, etc because your car had a catastrophic failure due to power levels/ times faster than NHRA regulations stipulate and you concealed it? Lawsuit city, population YOU.

The rules exist for your safety and the other racers, they are not there to ruin your fun.

Do yourself a favor and either cage it (you can get NHRA cert'd cages with removable sidebars) or take some of the power out of it so it's slower than 11.49, those are your only two options if you want to race the car.
MORE BS.....none of our cars are certified @ 120+ mph
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!

Last edited by AZ-ZL1; 11-22-2014 at 02:33 PM.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
It is what it is....still sucks though
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
It is what it is....still sucks though
Even if you plan to let off at the 1/8th, there are also roll cage requirements for that as well.

If your track is going to enforce this rule either find another track, put a bar in, or don't race.

You are right, is what it is.

We had to put a bar in a brand new C7. Had no choice.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #20
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
And they can be impractical and unreasonable as technology changes...something as minor as a pulley swap can make these cars run faster than 11.5. Does not make the car any less safe.
I see your point in one way, in that our cars are way safer than many 10 sec cars because of it meeting road safety rules. But YES changing a pulley does make a car more unsafe in that it made it FASTER, so that in its self is what the rule is for. But a car off the showroom running 10s and a car altered running 10s within the same year, then YES that would be the issue if they let one run and not the other, that is not fair. as long as the safety part of the car is not altered.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Technically it does. With et comes mph, your car was designed to withstand crashes below 50mph give or take. Double that and see how "safe" your car is.
But that's a moot point, isn't it?

If ~50 mph is the speed at which the car was designed to have a 'safe' crash ("safe" for the occupants), then, technically, 60 mph is "too fast" for a crash. And since most highways have a 65 mph limit, then, by this logic, the cars are not "safe" for highway use at the posted speed limit.

By citing a 'safe crash' speed as the reasoning, you are also defining the broad range of speeds in which the car cannot 'safely' crash, regardless of venue.

While you are 100% correct that as et goes down, we can reasonably expect mph to go up, look at the speed they use as the cut off- 135 mph. Appreciably slower than that is already more than double the cited 'safe' speed you mention of ~50 mph. So this means the strip is perfectly OK with an 'unsafe' crash at 135? Or 110, etc? I doubt it. I think they don't want that crash either. Aside from the injuries, crashes sorta limit their revenue.

I think they have come up with their cut-off- arbitrary or not- through the negative experiences of patrons making the cars faster without considering safety.

It's the old 'one rotten apple spoils the bunch' scenario. One meathead smears himself, and that's that, new rules. All responsible drivers therefore suffer to some degree through the actions of a select group of fools.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #22
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes fast ss View Post
Even if you plan to let off at the 1/8th, there are also roll cage requirements for that as well.

If your track is going to enforce this rule either find another track, put a bar in, or don't race.

You are right, is what it is.

We had to put a bar in a brand new C7. Had no choice.
That's really what it comes down to. I would hesitate on installing a roll bar in a street driven car that sees limited track use. I went through that on my 98 TA and decided against it for my Z.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #23
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
There has to be a cutoff point somewhere.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #24
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
So sorry..I used the word "cert" instead of "NHRA legal"..my bad
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
Mikes fast ss
Slowhawk Built

Quote:
So sorry..I used the word "cert" instead of "NHRA legal"..my bad
That's actually a major difference.
I'll be glad to elaborate.

Certified means an NHRA Regional director has physically indirect the cage, 10 point and greater, then you get a tag saying that it has been certified.

Nhra legal means that it's been built to the nhra specs. No cert or nhra inspection required. Each tracks tech dept is supposed to be able to look the bar over.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #26
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
There are far more safety rules than a 5 point roll bar in the 10.0 to 11.49 bracket, like aftermarket axles, long wheel studs, drive shaft loops, 5 point harnesses, jacket, trunk mounted battery external shutoff etc.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
While I understand the rules (use to race certified car in the '99s) these new cars today are just crazy fast. To illistrate my point lets look at mt ZL, which has recieved a very high crash rating and we've all seen crash pics on here and agree its a very safe car. I add a CAI and a Ported TB, 10% pulley and a tune and go the track and get kicked out because im to fast at 11.4'ish. Buddy shows up runs his stock HellCat/Z06/GT500 with slicks and go 10's but he is OK because you know its stock.

How the he11 does that make any sense? I get they need to draw the line so whay not take all the new era muscle cars say anything 2008'ish and up and breaks below 10.0 you'll need a carge, shut-off, batter relocate, etc. It would leave us weekend warriors to have fun and do what we can within a safe zone with our cars. They have got to move out of their old paradigms and get current. Safety first but common sense needs to come with it.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
I forgot to mention a scattershield bellhousing for the manuals as well.
So ya, I totally agree that the NHRA rules are built around 60's stock technology which addresses their inherent weaknesses. These new cars are much better than that in stock form.