Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I like them both!
Old 09-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #16
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Number 1 in all ways obviously camaro. Challenger and mustang a distant 2nd and 3rd.

I prefer the looks of the challenger over the mustang. But I like the lighter weight and nimbleness of the gt. would be a tough pick between them would have to drive both back to back.

Not sure I would like the lack of low end torque with the 5.0 I've been so used to over the years. But not sure I would like the driving experience of the scat pack other than strait line. Wouldn't even consider a standard rt.

With camaro you get a very well rounded car.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #17
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I aint gonna lie. I do not like Mustangs. The car, as a whole. Or 99.5% of their owners.
I do; however, like the HIGH END models. The Shelbys, the TOP TEIR Rousch and Saleens. And, I def do have a respect for the Coyote engines. The truck Ive been driving at work for the past 4yrs has a 5.0, and I LOVE it. That engine is awesome-rest of the car(ESP the new ones) not so much.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
neutral

Drives: Ask.
Fair points all around and some nice responses. Certain factors will always be subjective and I wouldn't expect everyone's styling preferences to match mine. I was never a fan of the Zeta Camaro; thought it was too chunky and simplistic in surfacing, but I could understand why people like that brute look. I think the 6th gen fixes everything that I saw wrong with it. Can also see why people don't like the Mustang new look at all, especially if they're all about classic muscle design. Don't see how the Mustang is any less well-rounded than the Camaro though. Saying it's down on low end torque is entirely relative. I personally like the linear climb to the top end but could see myself having a hell of a time with a mid range stump puller.

Didn't include the Challenger in my OP because I really don't think it's a comparable offering. Aside from tracing its design and heritage to similar roots, like if you strip these cars of their sheet metal, it's just a different type of car.

Last edited by neutral; 09-01-2015 at 04:10 PM.
neutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I've always liked fast cars regardless of brand. My first car was a BB Challenger, I've owned a bumch of F Bodies and for my daughters 17th Birthday I bought her a Mustang. Older one, but still a Mustang.

When I got my Z I tried out all three of the competitors against one another and for my needs the ZL1 was the clear, clear winner with the SRT8 next and the Mustang last. That solid axle killed it for me. Now, maybe not so much with the IRS but I will look at a GT350R when Or If I replace my ZL1.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 09-01-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #20
CmeltoN91

Drives: 13 Elantra Coupe(not for long!)
I like all three offerings equally..they all have strengths for my likings. But the one deciding factor(Nightfall Grey 1ss on order)was my local dealership is Chevy. I don't want to HAVE to drive 30+ miles just to get my car serviced. I will always buy local if I can!!
CmeltoN91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #21
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
i like them all and have owned from all 3, i just hop around alot lol
Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
Would have all 3 if I had enough garage space and a bigger bank balance.
^^^yup!^^^

Every time I drive by a Challenger or Mustang I see things I like equally about those cars.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #23
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I like them both.
x2
chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Obviously I prefer the Camaro but I have always liked the Mustang. I wouldn't mind adding a BOSS 302 or GT350 in the future.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #25
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
I did have quite a strong allegiance towards GM products in my teens to early 20s, but I don't really have an aversion towards any particular manufacturer...unless it's Chinese.

I've had a '95 Camaro Z28 as my first car, which I bought in '98. My current Challenger reminds me of it in some respects, such as the sub-par build quality and not-so-great sightlines from the interior (at least rust wasn't an issue with the majority of the body panels on a 4th-gen F-body...). I also didn't care for having to replace three Opti-sparks in the 7 years I've had it, or the interior deciding to spontaneously disintegrate after it turned 10 years old, despite being garage kept and well-cared for during my ownership of the car. Despite all that, I still loved it and think fondly of it.

Between the Z28 and my next car was my '96 Nissan 200SX SE-R 5-speed I bought in '02. Body was pretty rough, but it was mechanically sound. It looked rather dorky-looking, but it was a blast to drive. So light and chuckable around corners and quite quick for what it was. Bought it for my then 90-mile commute to work, but kept it for driving around town after noticing it got worse gas mileage on I-95 then my Z28 did, despite having 1/2 the cylinders, horsepower and 800lbs less weight. Ended up selling it in 2007. Wouldn't mind having another one as a 2nd car, but they unfortunately they seem to be pretty popular with the FnF crowd...

When the '05 Mustang came out, upon first sight I knew I had to have one. I ordered my '06 Tungsten Gray GT in August of '05, picked it up 3 months later. Looking back, I'd say it was the best overall car I ever had. Yeah, my 5.0 and Challenger would eat it for lunch in just about every performance metric, but aside from taking it to the dealer for a loose heat shield, I never had anything go wrong on that car. Didn't have any problems with build quality/paint/fit-and-finish. Only thing I had to replace on the car in my four and half years of ownership were tires. Other that that, just followed the service intervals in the manual and fed it 87 octane. Ended up trading it in on June '10. Really regret trading that car in in retrospect.

Back around '09-10 there was the referesh of the S197 Mustang and the 5th-gen Camaro debut, and later on the Coyote 5.0. I was considering a '10 SS as the '10 GT with the 3v 4.6 and 5-speed didn't really light my fire (although I did prefer the interior over the Camaro). Then, Ford announced the Coyote 5.0 for the '11 GT, along with upgraded brakes, suspension and tires. Ended up driving both cars, found some things to like and dislike with both, and would have been satisfied with either in my garage. The 2SS and GT Premium I had spec'ed were within $500 of each other w/regards to MSRP. In the end, a Ford dealer in my county offered me a GT in my preferred configuration for $300 under invoice in addition to $1250 in rebates/incentives. None of the Chevy dealers in my area would budge from MSRP. Picked up my 5.0 in June '10. Kept it until March '15.

I was pretty happy with my 5.0 overall, until the end. Didn't care for having bubbling paint on my hood after less than 2 years due to corrosion of the aluminum hood, paint flaking off the steering wheel buttons, A/C vent getting stuck, oil-life monitor thinking car was using oil 2x as fast as it actually was, but all of it was fixed under warranty. Otherwise, build quality, like my '06 was very good. Didn't really have any problems until I got an extended factory warranty right before the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper ran out. Then at my last service, a tech noticed both my rear shocks were leaking. Asked the service dept. guys if they were covered under the extended warranty, and the reply was they weren't sure, and they'd get back to me. The service dept. never did, though the sales department was sure anxious to get me in a '15 Mustang, despite twiddling their thumbs with fixing my '11. After waiting a few months with no response from the dealer, and Ford Corporate apparently not giving a damn, I ended up cancelling my warranty, replaced the shocks myself, and in March, the car...

Which brings me to my current vehicle listed in my sig. Perhaps it was the excitement of getting a new car that got in the way of my usual AR-levels of attention to detail, but upon coming home, I noticed the passenger-side taillight cluster being noticeably crooked. And the passenger side exhaust was noticeably lower than the driver side. Then I noticed the trunk lid edges on either side did line up with their respective quarter panels. Then I noticed the driver side door panel didn't line up flush with the quarter panel, unlike the passenger side door. And then, I noticed the driver's side corner of the hood not lining up with the front fascia. I was sure to mention all of this to FCA once they sent me their customary survey. To my surprise somewhat, the replied rather quickly, were 'dismayed' upon my discoveries, apologized profusely, and suggested setting an appointment with my dealer to address these issues.

And a couple of weeks ago, I looked under the driver's side fender wheel arch, and found a sizable area of paint missing, with only what appeared to be primer covering the arch...except for several spots where apparently there was nothing but bare metal, and those spots are now covered in rust. The passenger-ride wheel arch on the 1/4 panel is similarly poorly painted, though at least there isn't any rust. Oh, and running my fingers across the driver's side fender under the A-pillar, the paint was quite rough to the touch, with a granular, somewhat sandpaper-like feel. I also noticed my rear-view camera is misaligned, which explains why despite reversing straight as an arrow into a parking spot according to the screen, upon exiting my vehicle it would be slightly crooked in relation to the lines of said parking spot...

And I guess as some kind of birthday gift, yesterday it decided to develop an extremely rough idle about a minute after startup, shaking rather violently from the inside, and from the outside the car sounds like it's trying its best imitation of having a solid-lifter cam. Then, upon putting the car in drive, it decided, without any input from me, to depart from my driveway in quite a jerky manner...

I've got an appointment set for my dealer Friday, and as much as I want to love this car, if FCA doesn't get their shit together and take the appropriate steps towards making it right, I can quite possibly see a Mosiac Black Metallic 2SS coupe with Kalahari leather interior, MRC, NPP exhaust and 8L90 in the near future for me...

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #26
The Tinkerer

Drives: Not what I want!
Do you have a publisher?
The Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #27
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
I hate to say this, because I used to be a BIG Cummins Turbodiesel fan, but Dodge's QC has ALWAYS been junk. I like the new cars. Always said if we had to buy a 4 door car, it would be a new Charger. But it just seems never ending with them. Since I was a kid, the Dodge complaints have remained at a steady pace(HIGH), meanwhile Ford and Chevy have fluctuated. Ive owned 4 dodges. 3 trucks, 1 car. I just dont think I could bring myself to buy one again. Lately, my old Cummins buddies are coming to the same realization.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #28
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinkerer View Post
Do you have a publisher?
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote