Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #113
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Yeah but the BMW i3 is cheaper and a little slower to 60 (compared to the SS), but in commuter terms racing to the next stop light, it is faster. Tesla is coming out with a $35K car that will perform similarly.

Apple is even coming out with an electric car.

Just saying the next Camaro should be a Corvette with 4 seats, not spend a lot of development $$ on a cheaper model.
lolwut. That's a hell of a good way to kill this nameplate off again.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #114
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
We'll see if that $35K Tesla (model S) ever sees the light of day. Seems there Model X cannot get to market. How many times has it been delayed now?

No they aren't. It is working on better integration of their map apps and Carplay software.

The cheaper models are what allows the uber Camaros to exist. It is critical they are done correctly.
The model s was just one upped by the Bolt as well...

And agreed the v6s are what made the rest of the Camaro line feasible for GM and affordable for us.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #115
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The Gen6 Camaro is based off of a shared platform with the ATS/CTS. Why does it need a low cost model to justify it? Chevy came out with the V8 only $45K SS 4-door correct, now expanded to a manual transmission model.

We can watch the sales of the 4-cyl Mustang as an indicator. I still like my Camaro/Tesla combination.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #116
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
SS is a super low volume model and is only in the United States to give Holden an export program for the VF Commodore. Which has an entry-level volume V6 model.

It seems like you want Camaro to become some low volume exotic. It's not going to happen. Like it or not Camaro is GM's volume sports car.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #117
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
The 2.0T and V6 Mustang models will likely represent 2/3 or more of all Mustangs (and Camaros) sold.

Honestly, I hope you're right. I would love an electric commuter for under $40k, then have Camaro as a toy. VW has an all-electric golf for $35k, but it only has a range of 84 miles, and my daily drive is about 75, so range anxiety keeps me from making the switch.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #118
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
The 2.0T and V6 Mustang models will likely represent 2/3 or more of all Mustangs (and Camaros) sold.

Honestly, I hope you're right. I would love an electric commuter for under $40k, then have Camaro as a toy. VW has an all-electric golf for $35k, but it only has a range of 84 miles, and my daily drive is about 75, so range anxiety keeps me from making the switch.
Sounds like the new Chevrolet Bolt is the answer for you. 200+ mile range for under 40K. Perhaps less.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #119
KMPrenger

Quote:
The Gen6 Camaro is based off of a shared platform with the ATS/CTS. Why does it need a low cost model to justify it? Chevy came out with the V8 only $45K SS 4-door correct, now expanded to a manual transmission model.

We can watch the sales of the 4-cyl Mustang as an indicator. I still like my Camaro/Tesla combination.
As said above, making the Camaro a high cost low volume car would only end in the death of the Camaro. The Camaro is Chevrolet's "every man's" sports car. The buyers want either a nice performing V6 in the 20K - 30K range or a V8 in the low to mid 30K range. If you remove all of that, you just killed off 90% of the sales of this car. The rest of the buyers will opt for the higher cost, loaded V8, or the ultra powerful forced induction V8 models.

We are lucky that GM has a great platform that can be shared and used for Camaro, which should help to only further spread out the costs of the Alpha architecture. Without this, we would pay more for a separate unique chassis that we would only hope drives as well as Alpha performs in the ATS and CTS.

You may be able to afford a 45 thousand dollar (or much higher) Camaro, but that doesn't mean Chevrolet shouldn't build a Camaro for the masses. If you don't understand that, well then I have to
Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #120
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
As said above, making the Camaro a high cost low volume car would only end in the death of the Camaro. The Camaro is Chevrolet's "every man's" sports car. The buyers want either a nice performing V6 in the 20K - 30K range or a V8 in the low to mid 30K range. If you remove all of that, you just killed off 90% of the sales of this car. The rest of the buyers will opt for the higher cost, loaded V8, or the ultra powerful forced induction V8 models.

We are lucky that GM has a great platform that can be shared and used for Camaro, which should help to only further spread out the costs of the Alpha architecture. Without this, we would pay more for a separate unique chassis that we would only hope drives as well as Alpha performs in the ATS and CTS.

You may be able to afford a 45 thousand dollar (or much higher) Camaro, but that doesn't mean Chevrolet shouldn't build a Camaro for the masses. If you don't understand that, well then I have to
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #121
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Well said KMPrenger

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #122
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Not sure why you would make that statement. The Corvette is a low volume, but higher profit car, as are many others. The Camaro does not have to be a volume seller to be a successful product.

I would say that the 4 cyl would diminish the car and kill it faster than CAFE could. It will be slower and get poorer fuel economy while having none of the techno coolness of the competition. A properly track credentialed car that is downright cool to own has a much greater chance at staying around. Yes it will be more expensive, but people pay $50K for a pickup these days.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #123
KMPrenger

Quote:
Not sure why you would make that statement. The Corvette is a low volume, but higher profit car, as are many others. The Camaro does not have to be a volume seller to be a successful product.

I would say that the 4 cyl would diminish the car and kill it faster than CAFE could. It will be slower and get poorer fuel economy while having none of the techno coolness of the competition. A properly track credentialed car that is downright cool to own has a much greater chance at staying around. Yes it will be more expensive, but people pay $50K for a pickup these days.
Not even going to attempt to argue.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #124
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:

Given that the alpha platform should weigh less than the Mustang, why would a similarly powered car be slower with less fuel economy that its primary rival? And as far as techno coolness, we don't know what is planned so that's not really a fair statement.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #125
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
The Camaro does not have to be a volume seller to be a successful product.
If you read up on the death of the camaro in 2002, you will see that it wasn't the sales of the v8's that was the problem, but rather the sales of the base model. THE CAMARO IS NOT THE CORVETTE. Turbo 4 and v6 model camaro's must sell well in order to keep the model alive, otherwise it's 2002 all over again.

Quote:
I would say that the 4 cyl would diminish the car and kill it faster than CAFE could.
A turbocharged 4 cylinder making around 300 hp is very respectable for an entry level pony/sports car. I don't see it diminishing the camaro at all.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #126
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

The Corvette is definitely profitable, no denying that, but that's essentially because it has no direct rivals in the US. The Camaro has always filled that spot below the Corvette and both have enjoyed immense success because of it. To move the Camaro more into a more exclusive Corvette class, would be detrimental to both. The golden rule in GM is mess with the Vette. Several cars have in GM have done it in the past, none of them are around today.

As far as CAFE killing the Camaro...unlikely. The V8s may get axed in the future but performance won't. Take a look at the McLaren P1, Porsche 918, i8, and the new NSX. Hybrid technology isn't just good for MPGs, it's making cars quicker than they have been before. It may take some getting used to, but electric power is hear to stay.

And what techno coolness do you see in the competition?

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote