Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 07-07-2023, 03:59 AM   #1
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Is this normal?

I'm considering this third generation vehicle from out of state and I'm wondering if the bottom appears normal or if it's rust?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2023, 06:33 AM   #2
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Appears to me there is slight corrosion, but seemingly completely normal amounts for a non-daily car. Looks like original exhaust, so there must not be a lot of miles on it.

If you're concerned about the belly pans, they look red to me, not rusty. All the axle junk back there should be a tad crusty because GM hardly ever painted those things.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 06:21 PM   #3
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Appears to me there is slight corrosion, but seemingly completely normal amounts for a non-daily car. Looks like original exhaust, so there must not be a lot of miles on it.

If you're concerned about the belly pans, they look red to me, not rusty. All the axle junk back there should be a tad crusty because GM hardly ever painted those things.
I appreciate your assessment. The vehicle is listed online and I considered purchasing it and having it shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295796268661

I noticed that it was actually auctioned at the end of June, but relisted with a fixed purchase price, matching the winning bid, in early July. I was curious as to what happened, so I began to research Euclid Car Co. of Euclid, OH, who's selling the vehicle.

I unearthed negative review after negative review, all with a common theme: vintage vehicles offered in supposedly pristine condition, only to later be found with allegedly jerry-rigged mechanical fixes and camouflaged rust. The reviews claim that the owner of the dealership placed the onus of discovering these issues on the buyers and reminded them they were as-is sales.

I wonder if the auction winner discovered something when the vehicle was being picked up. Of course, my interest is lost now.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Don’t blame you for running from it. For the record, my 50K mile all original, rust free IROC looks pretty similar to that underneath. It has very light surface rust only on the K member, front control arms, and rear axle housing. I’ve got to do the rear axle seals soon and when I do I’ll take and post a few pictures from the same angle just for documentation sake.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
For a 30 year old car.. That floor looks great. Biggest issue with these cars is the floors rotting out, especially in t top cars. This looks like normal surface rust from just being out in the elements for its life. nothing a little time and paint can't fix. If your only concern is the rust, then I would say buy it. Most of these cars need rear end work, exhaust work, etc... so most of that stuff will be replaced anyways.

Edit: Just looked through the ebay ad. This car looks CLEAN, probably one of the nicer interiors I have seen in one of these. Paint looks great, but I would check it with a magnet tool for bondo. It is a v6 so, you won't be having any fun in it unless your goal is just to cruise around. Maybe you could pay a private inspection company to go out there and give it a once over? I know a bunch of buddies who buy cars out of state and they always call a private automotive inspection company to go out and look at the cars, take tons of pictures and some even plug in scanners... Although the seller may not be interested in entertaining that. And honestly if they aren't ok with you having the car inspected... Then I would walk away.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
For a 30 year old car.. That floor looks great. Biggest issue with these cars is the floors rotting out, especially in t top cars. This looks like normal surface rust from just being out in the elements for its life. nothing a little time and paint can't fix. If your only concern is the rust, then I would say buy it. Most of these cars need rear end work, exhaust work, etc... so most of that stuff will be replaced anyways.

Edit: Just looked through the ebay ad. This car looks CLEAN, probably one of the nicer interiors I have seen in one of these. Paint looks great, but I would check it with a magnet tool for bondo. It is a v6 so, you won't be having any fun in it unless your goal is just to cruise around. Maybe you could pay a private inspection company to go out there and give it a once over? I know a bunch of buddies who buy cars out of state and they always call a private automotive inspection company to go out and look at the cars, take tons of pictures and some even plug in scanners... Although the seller may not be interested in entertaining that. And honestly if they aren't ok with you having the car inspected... Then I would walk away.
+1 on that
Old 07-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I agree it definitely looks clean but internet pics only tell so much of the tale unfortunately.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:16 PM   #8
NiteProwlerSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
As others have said for a 30-40 year old car looks pretty clean in that pic
Old 07-10-2023, 11:38 PM   #9
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

I also came across a vintage Camaro beauty.

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/c...631515905.html