Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #71
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
i can't wait to see some numbers and hopefully get some track vids to quiet some of the nay-sayers of the location
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #72
dstairs
Farewell Thor

Drives: 95 Caddy Deville Concours
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZb383 View Post
1 foot of water is not that uncommon here in Houston in a big rainstorm. Happens more often than you might think.
Yeah we live on top of a huge swamp
dstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #73
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
One of the great things about rear mount turbo setup is that you can use almost any variation of exhaust setup and doesn't affect the existing turbo setup. Stock exhaust, headers ( LT's or shorties ), h-pipe or xpipe, etc.. This setup for the SS is a front mount intercooler and the turbos are engine oil fed. If someone wanted to take off the kit ( but why ) then all you have to do is remove it from the car and reinstall your muffs. I am working on a design for a modified intake enclosure/repiping ( for this kit ) to alleviate any excessive water concerns wether it's tire spinoff or if you live in a floodprone area.
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #74
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Thats my friends car in the video on two guys garage!The car has no engine now as the motor sucked up a lot of water and cracked the block.And yes it was a very big puddle.People who live in Florida can understand how much rain can collect on the ground in such little time.
yup happened to me last month.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #75
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
One of the great things about rear mount turbo setup is that you can use almost any variation of exhaust setup and doesn't affect the existing turbo setup. Stock exhaust, headers ( LT's or shorties )
You dont want LTs, shorties are fine but not LTs. You'll be killing some power and you'll just go back to stock manifolds or shorties anyway.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #76
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
You dont want LTs, shorties are fine but not LTs. You'll be killing some power and you'll just go back to stock manifolds or shorties anyway.
That is all based on the complete setup you have...depending on the turbo, the boost you are looking for, the diameter of the pipe....you can run LTs and it will work fine...just have to make sure you match everything properly.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #77
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
That is all based on the complete setup you have...depending on the turbo, the boost you are looking for, the diameter of the pipe....you can run LTs and it will work fine...just have to make sure you match everything properly.
Uhh, no. LTs are not the way to go with a rear mount turbo, no how, no way. Anyone who is thinking about going rear mount should really read through this, lots of good info:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...urbo-saga.html
Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #78
Dinky Toy

Drives: 2LT/RS A6 CGM/IO Zaino
Quote:
Originally Posted by east TX Muscle cars View Post
Anyone who disputes the idea needs to know simply this, PRESSURE IS PRESSURE!

If you pressurize a tube 2 inches long versus 24 inches long it doesn't matter.

I have never owned a FI engine so I am no expert and you are free to call bullshit on my method of thinking if I am completely wrong, but...

"PRESSURE IS PRESSURE", that is true, but when talking turbo lag you are talking how quickly pressure is build up and that is a different story.

"If you pressurize a tube 2 inches long versus 24 inches long it doesn't matter.", that is true for fluids which are "non-compressable" but when talking about air which is compressable please consider that volume matters and a longer tube equals more volume.

At the end of the longer pipe is the turbo which is a restrictor (however marginal), therefore when pressing the throtle you will have the engine moving more exhaust air into the pipe towards the turbo.
Yes the turbo will start to spool faster instantly BUT since the turbo is a resrictor, the pressure in the longer tube in front of the turbo will build up and the extra volume of the pipe will require more energy and time to get to the full pressure the engine can generate and therefore the turbo to spool at the maximum RPM with that maximum pressure from the engine.

Something similar could be said for the extra length pipe back to the intake manifold since the engine is a restrictor too (hence the neccesity of a waste gate).

Now, whether the extra "turbo lag" from the longer tubes (both ways) creates noticable differences I will let someone else proof.
All other components kept the same, negatives of remote mount are probably offset by higher temperatures and need for intercooling when using under the hood turbo systems.
Dinky Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #79
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
This is what I've been waiting for. Another piece to my puzzle.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #80
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
STS is a sound setup. The heat that turbo's can generate under hood is negated by the fact they are in the rear. I know a few Mustang guys running them, and they make good power and times on the single system.

The one thing I fault is that if you live in a rainy area...IE Florida.....Well...just do not drive thru any big puddles...
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #81
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
rear mount turbos, that will suck when they start on fire
huh?
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #82
wacamaro

Drives: Blue
1320junkie are you thinking what im thinking? Turbos catch on fire? there away from the engine there even cooler making them even less likely. Ive never even heard of that happening. Am i wrong please tell me!
wacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #83
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky Toy View Post
I have never owned a FI engine so I am no expert and you are free to call bullshit on my method of thinking if I am completely wrong, but...

"PRESSURE IS PRESSURE", that is true, but when talking turbo lag you are talking how quickly pressure is build up and that is a different story.

"If you pressurize a tube 2 inches long versus 24 inches long it doesn't matter.", that is true for fluids which are "non-compressable" but when talking about air which is compressable please consider that volume matters and a longer tube equals more volume.

At the end of the longer pipe is the turbo which is a restrictor (however marginal), therefore when pressing the throtle you will have the engine moving more exhaust air into the pipe towards the turbo.
Yes the turbo will start to spool faster instantly BUT since the turbo is a resrictor, the pressure in the longer tube in front of the turbo will build up and the extra volume of the pipe will require more energy and time to get to the full pressure the engine can generate and therefore the turbo to spool at the maximum RPM with that maximum pressure from the engine.

Something similar could be said for the extra length pipe back to the intake manifold since the engine is a restrictor too (hence the neccesity of a waste gate).

Now, whether the extra "turbo lag" from the longer tubes (both ways) creates noticable differences I will let someone else proof.
All other components kept the same, negatives of remote mount are probably offset by higher temperatures and need for intercooling when using under the hood turbo systems.

It is a very valid point. Volume is most definately a factor when properly setting up a remote mount system. A lot of time goes into selecting the tubing sizes and turbo sizes. You have to take into account velocity of exhaust and the velocity of air from the turbos. Then there are the temperatures of the air returning to the intake and so on. I can assure you that when Rick (sts turbo systems) engineers a system he does all the math for it before just throwing it on a car.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #84
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
rear mount turbos, that will suck when they start on fire
If your turbos are on fire does it really matter where they're located?
I mean... it seems like kind of a big deal regardless.

/sarcasm
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote