Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #365
Cheetoh

Drives: 2011 Callaway SC572, 2000 Firehawk
Chevrolet Customer Service, You have PM.
Cheetoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #366
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Took mine it today for chips on both sides of the spoiler. He found a TSB for that problem has ordered what was called spacer washers by the TSB. So they will repaint the area. I have a appointment for Jan 14th. The paint shop is backed up due to a lot of deer hits. Have my fingers crossed.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #367
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Wow... I was wondering about this chipping going on at the spoiler. A month after buying the Camaro, June 2011, they appeared, I went back to the dealer, pointed it out and they said sorry - cant help ya. I'm going back now to show them this. Thanks C5 members!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #368
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakk11SS View Post
Wow... I was wondering about this chipping going on at the spoiler. A month after buying the Camaro, June 2011, they appeared, I went back to the dealer, pointed it out and they said sorry - cant help ya. I'm going back now to show them this. Thanks C5 members!

Good Luck.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #369
Beaukz28

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
:
Originally Posted by Cheetoh
I just purchased a 2011 Camaro from a Dealership about 6 weeks ago, I went out yesterday and noticed chips my spoiler ends. I called their service dept and mentioned the TSB, They ran my Vin. and said there are no TSB that affect has nothing to do with VIN #. He was looking for recalls when he asked for your VIN and since it is not a recall it will not show up. Whoever you talked with mixed them up. TSB's will pop up when searching for a particular issue on GM's internal website. And sometimes they are still hard to find. There are times that I know when a certain TSB exists yet still have trouble pulling it up. I am sure they will get it sorted out for you.
Beaukz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #370
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Took my trunk lid to the dealer to get repainted on the 3rd of this month due to the spoiler chipping problem. Showed the TSB and they painted it and didn't even give me the run around, but unfortunately their paintjob went awry. I got it back that Friday and when I got home I discovered feathered white marks along the edges of the trunk lid. Looks like they overbuffed the edges down to the primer. Had to take it back that following Monday (the 10th) and am still waiting on it. Overall pretty disappointed, especially since the paintjob in and of itself was pretty damn good. *Sigh* Haven't driven my car in nearly 3 weeks. Starting to miss it, lol.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #371
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
Here's a quick update of what's going on with my situation.

I took the car in a few weeks ago. They said the chips on the front bumper, the roof, and everywhere else were ordinary wear and tear and they wouldn't repair them under warranty.

They agreed that the chips on the trunk were a problem and the car is in there today being painted.

Frankly, I disagree with them regarding all the other chips. I understand that a car's paint will not stay perfect forever and chips can and do occur but these chips seem to be beyond what you'd expect for 2011 car with about 10,000 miles on it.

This is my third camaro and my 6th GM vehicle. Its also the one one I have ever purchased new. All the others (trucks and Camaros) have all been purchased with over 70k miles on them. Frankly, most of them had less paint chips than my new Camaro has already accumulated. I dread to see what it looks like when it has 70k miles.
MaddogZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #372
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogZ28 View Post
Here's a quick update of what's going on with my situation.

I took the car in a few weeks ago. They said the chips on the front bumper, the roof, and everywhere else were ordinary wear and tear and they wouldn't repair them under warranty.

They agreed that the chips on the trunk were a problem and the car is in there today being painted.

Frankly, I disagree with them regarding all the other chips. I understand that a car's paint will not stay perfect forever and chips can and do occur but these chips seem to be beyond what you'd expect for 2011 car with about 10,000 miles on it.

This is my third camaro and my 6th GM vehicle. Its also the one one I have ever purchased new. All the others (trucks and Camaros) have all been purchased with over 70k miles on them. Frankly, most of them had less paint chips than my new Camaro has already accumulated. I dread to see what it looks like when it has 70k miles.
Don't even let it reach that point. Put protection film on the gill areas and install an easy-on-easy-off stretch bra on the front bumper when you're traveling on the highway.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #373
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Don't even let it reach that point. Put protection film on the gill areas and install an easy-on-easy-off stretch bra on the front bumper when you're traveling on the highway.
If I wanted something as ugly as a stretch bra on my front bumper I would have just bought a Mustang.

Tell me about this film though.
MaddogZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #374
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogZ28 View Post
If I wanted something as ugly as a stretch bra on my front bumper I would have just bought a Mustang.

Tell me about this film though.
Dude, I'd take the inconvenience and "ugliness" of the stretch bra if it means having peace of mind. If you go to Ohio-Speed, they have a stretch bra that you can take on and off in in less than 30 seconds once you install the initial hardware (no drilling or anything required). It's MEANT to be taken on and off frequently. Perfect for drives to car shows or things requiring you driving on highways or expressways. Highways are where most of us get our rock chips because of the high speeds.

The clear film is applied like a vinyl decal but is made of a different material. It hugs around the contours and adheres to the paint, providing a thick barrier to protect against damage. The thing is, unless you're real skilled with installing it, you'll notice the edges of the film when you're up close.

A lot of people have installed it on their bumpers, but I would just recommend getting the stretch bra. It's way cheaper. You should be able to do the quarter gill areas yourself with the protection film, but for the bumper, I would recommend a professional installing it, and this costs upwards of $500.00+ to be done right, while the stretch bra is only $170 shipped. Not only that, but there is also a chance of "chipping" the protection film too, so even though your paint is unharmed, the bumper will still look chipped because the film is chipped, while with the bra... it's fabric. It won't be an issue.

To me, the best protection film is the Xpel one since the "Xpel Ultimate" has polymers that "self heal" over time, so swirl marks or fine scratches will come out of it. I'd purchase it in bulk and cut it yourself - makes it a lot cheaper: http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

3 feet by 12" should be plenty for the quarter gill areas, which is where most of the rock chips occur on these cars other than the front bumper.

Otherwise, for your front bumper, I'd heavily recommend the conventional stretch bra. The one from Ohio Speed is very easy to take on and off and it's done wonders for me. When I go to shows w/ my club, they have to sit there for 15 minutes detailing their front bumper while I just take the bra off and it's perfect underneath.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #375
AvengerCamaro
AVNG3R

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Just noticed mine on saturday and will be taking it in asap to see about a recall or TSB my buddies in the H-town Camaro Club were talking about. Hopefully the dealership will find it and fix it no problem
AvengerCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #376
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS0914 View Post
Just noticed mine on saturday and will be taking it in asap to see about a recall or TSB my buddies in the H-town Camaro Club were talking about. Hopefully the dealership will find it and fix it no problem

Oh no! Please let us know if the dealership was able to do something for you! We are here if you have any questions or concerns.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Tags
chip, paint, spoiler