Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
dollar14
 
dollar14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 summit white 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: garland texas
Posts: 120
thinking about switching from mobile 1 also.whats going on at ADM friday ? thats in my backyard!!!
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6,kooks 1-7/8 LT'S with hi flow cats,factory NPP cat back system,ADM performance street c.a.i.ADM built LSA with 750+ package,160 deg. thermostat,mti six shooter shifter,jac fab front license plate bracket and tunnel brace,eibach 1 inch pro kit,ADM exhaust controller,custom ADM performance tune,703 rwhp 704 rwtq
dollar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
07Tundra
 
Drives: 2014 White ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Blenheim, SC
Posts: 135
I made the same exact switch and I picked up over a MPG! Went from 23 to ~24.2. Same daily driving, and several tanks of fuel!
07Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Muddflap

 
Muddflap's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Longview, Tx
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar14 View Post
thinking about switching from mobile 1 also.whats going on at ADM friday ? thats in my backyard!!!
Rhino79 is going to be there this weekend tuning cars for myself and some others. Apparently quite a few people wanted him to tune their cars so he is making a trip there for the weekend instead of everyone from the area having to go to him. Don't quote me on it but I think someone said in another thread that Andy is going to also have a dyno day but once again don't quote me on that as I could be wrong. It would be better to check with Andy to be certain.
Muddflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Today I switched from Mobil 1 to Royal Purple! I usually smirk when I read responses like this, but I could actually tell that it idles smoother and has less valve noise than before.
Plus now I have peace of mind knowing exactly what's in it. Before, I would take it to the dealer, but who really knows what the guy doing the work at the dealership is putting in YOUR car? Just like look at all the cars that get filled up with regular unleaded instead of super like they require? You would assume that this would be a No Brainer, but it happens all the time.
People will try to tell you it must be in your head but I can back you up on this. It is very noticeable. I have run Royal Purple in several of my vehicles and noticed the same thing when I made the switch.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #19
willhe64

 
willhe64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,192
I had a 1970 Chev 4x4 with a 454 in it. When I was towing my race car it would overheat on one long steep hill on the way to the track. Have to pull over and cool off. I was running 15-40w non-synthetic.

Switched to Royal Purple and the needle never budged after that. I was amazed.
__________________
I feel it only fair to warn you, I have a black belt in CAPS LOCK.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
SSBUSDRVR


 
SSBUSDRVR's Avatar
 
Drives: '112SS/RS'12CruzECO'11CruzeLTZ,Mini
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,482
Have been running RP HPS for awhile now and will keep running it. Good stuff but yes not recommended for cars under warranty.
__________________
'11 IBM 2SS/RS
Vengeance Racing Mast LS7 Headed 416
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
Avenging Orange

 
Avenging Orange's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clermont, IN
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
it says it on the oil cap because someone paid gm big dollars to put it there.
My point exactly.
__________________
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather,Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Haltech CAI , non synthetic fluids, Mike Norris tuned 419/413
2015 Ford Interceptor// 2007 Ford F150 XLT
Avenging Orange: 38 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
Camarojt

 
Camarojt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Allen, Tx
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Have been running RP HPS for awhile now and will keep running it. Good stuff but yes not recommended for cars under warranty.
Warranty?? What's that???
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
1Camaro2SS

 
1Camaro2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,426
Same here. First time RP oil change today. I changed it 500 miles after a cam swap last Fall. I switched from Valvoline VR1 which is also a great product. I heard good and bad stories for every brand oil out there. Not sure what to believe.
__________________
432 RWHP 391 RWTQ 12.37 1/4 mile on stock tires
1Camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #24
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP
 
coreyaustin17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MYSTIC CT
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Have been running RP HPS for awhile now and will keep running it. Good stuff but yes not recommended for cars under warranty.
why do you say that just because it might be covered or another reason?
__________________
coreyaustin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
SSBUSDRVR


 
SSBUSDRVR's Avatar
 
Drives: '112SS/RS'12CruzECO'11CruzeLTZ,Mini
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Warranty?? What's that???
Warranties are overrated.
Quote:
why do you say that just because it might be covered or another reason?
somebody here may be able to describe it better. But HPS and some other brands have a high amount of antiwear additives (Zinc and Phosphorous) and are not API (American Petroleum Istitute Approved) Guess most Automobile MFG don't accept non API oils for warranty purposes. Put it in and may void the warranty if something goes boom.
__________________
'11 IBM 2SS/RS
Vengeance Racing Mast LS7 Headed 416
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #26
Tyger
 
Tyger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS L99
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
Posts: 40
jt, you wrote you're using 5qts? SS engines take 8 qts. Or was it a typo?
Tyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
it says it on the oil cap because someone paid gm big dollars to put it there.
Not really.

The Dexos rating is a much bigger joke.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.