Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Possible to add Homelink / Auto Dimming Mirror to 1SS

I have a SIM 1SS. The Chevy SSR that I traded in on this Camaro had an auto dimming rear view mirror and homelink garage door remote in the mirror.

I see that the Camaro homelink is built into the headliner near the dome light switch/passenger air bag lights.

Question 1:

Can the homelink transmitter be purchased by itself as a stand alone item/part and can it be installed into the 1SS (wiring present?)?

Question 2:

I know the 2SS rear view mirror is larger than the 1SS mirror, but the auto dimming feature is something I would like to have again. Does the auto dimming OnStart mirror from the 2SS plug into the same wiring harness as the basic 1SS OnStar mirror?

Any detailed info would be a great help (part numbers)!

Thanks

Robert
Old 06-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
shiftz33

I may have found my own answer to the auto dimming mirror question.

The 50-GENK6 mirror is an Gentex auto dimming OnStar mirror that is reported to be an plug-and-play replacement mirror for any car with factory OnStar.

I've ordered it and I shall see of that claim is true.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
shiftz33

The claim about it plugging right in was false.

The Camaro appears to have a unique wiring harness for the OnStar mirror. The 50-GENK6 mirror will not connect to the Camaro mirror harness without some sort of adapter.

I've sent an email to the selling company to see if they have any way to make this work, otherwise I'll have to return it.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
shiftz33

The company I purchased the mirror through has put me in contact with Mito Corp.

A couple people at Mito Corp are looking into what I'll need to do to create a wiring harness that will adapt the Camaro wiring harness plug (near the head liner) to one that is compatible with the "standard" OnStar Gentex mirror plug which is on the backside of the mirror.

I'll post the results when I have them.....
Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
You must also be able to get the homelink as well. What did you find out?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
shiftz33

The parts department where I purchased the Camaro is looking up the GM supplied auto dimming mirror part number along with the homelink part number.

There is no homeline/onstar/auto dimming mirror made by Gentex. With that in mind, all I can do is add the auto dimming feature via the mirror (of course) and the homelink is a separate panel/module in the headliner.

I'll post all of the info I get on this topic as soon as I get it.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
The parts department where I purchased the Camaro is looking up the GM supplied auto dimming mirror part number along with the homelink part number.

There is no homeline/onstar/auto dimming mirror made by Gentex. With that in mind, all I can do is add the auto dimming feature via the mirror (of course) and the homelink is a separate panel/module in the headliner.

I'll post all of the info I get on this topic as soon as I get it.
thanks for your hard work here..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
shiftz33

Part Numbers

The parts department has located what they believe to be the part numbers for the auto dimming mirror and universal remote (homelink) console

Homelink (console): 92235696 (Color - Black)
OnStar Auto Dimming Mirror: 13503048

I'm having them order the console to try and get homelink into my 1SS.

I'm holding off on the mirror since I'm trying to get Mito Corp to figure out a wiring harness adapter for the 50-GENK6A mirror that I have in my possession.

That's all I have for now.....
Old 06-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #9
shiftz33

Homelink (console): 92235696 (Color - Black)

I received a call today that the console that I ordered was in.

I picked up the part and it sure enough did have the Homelink transmitter.

When I arrived home, I removed the existing console (4 snaps and two screws [behind the dome light]).

I found that there was NO wiring harness connection for the Homelink unit. It seems the 1SS wiring harness is feature specific and if the Homelink unit is not included in the car at the factory the harness does not include a connector for it. It's a flat edged connector as well making it even more fun to connect.

I identified the 12 volt power and ground connectors on the homelink unit (took some serious examination of the circuit board. I soldered on two wire leads to the connector leads coming out of the homelink unit. I wired up the 12 volt side to a switched power lead that is present in the mirror harness (which runs right by this area / pink wire next to green wire on the car side of the mirror connector) and I placed a fuse in the wire lead to make sure I didn't blow anything.

About 1 hours later I have a 1SS with a Homelink transmitter in it. Since it's using a switched 12 volt power lead, it only works with the ignition switch is on, but that's not really a problem.

What fun that was!!

The status of the 50-GENK6A mirror install is that Mito Corp is now creating a wiring harness that will connect the mirror to the GM harness connector. After I inquired about the wiring "issue", the found out that many of the current GM vehicles are using the new style wiring and this was a task they needed to go through anyway to make their mirrors compatible with current GM vehicles. More on this part of this topic next week....

Here are some pictures of the console

Pic 1) Part Number label on box for the new console with Homelink transmitter

Pic 2) Rear view of new console (Homelink in lower left corner)

Pic 3) Close up of the homelink portion of the console (connector near my thumb in the picture) - Ground = Connector near center, 12 volt = left most connector

Pic 4) Front view of console section with homelink buttons

I hope that helps someone else!

Disclaimer:

I'm willing to be responsible for the changes I make to my Camaro, but I only offer this as information that you can use at your own risk.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Saving41

Drives: IBM 1SS
Hi Shift33,
I was wondering what the homelink console cost?

I don't have my car yet, but this is one option I would like to add also.

Thanks,
Greg
Saving41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
i went to a local wrecking yard and got 4 different mirrors. (i deal with this yard all the time so they let me borrow them) as long as the mirrors are 2008 2009 . you have to rewire the plug though. i was able to put a auto dimminng mirror with onstar in the camaro with no probs. the other 3 mirrors i tried were plain onstar(envoy), plain auto diming, onstar(envoy) .autodimming with the airbag info in it (this was aout of a silverado). they all have the temp and compass in them. the compass works but the temp you need the sending unit..

Last edited by Camarofan69; 07-04-2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT I WAS TYPING
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
How big was the envoy mirror?? Im thinking about getting rid of my auto dimming mirror since I've got tint, I dont really want the side mirror to dim anymore.

Anyone wanna trade?? =o)

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
ILL TRADE YA
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
shiftz33

Giving up on 50-GENK6A mirror install

The Gentex 50-GENK6A mirror will not plug into the Camaro nor any other recent GM vehicle because GM has changed the wiring harness the mirror connects to.

Mito Corp is "working" on the wiring harness change but it seems to be taking a very long time. I'm returning the 50-GENK6A mirror and I guess I'll be purchasing the GM 13503048 mirror.