Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
cutting bump stops? pfadt

What is the point of cutting the bump stomps when installing pfadt drop springs? Is this what actually lowers the car?
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
No it isn't what actually lowers. It must be cut as to not bottom out before it normally would.

At least that's the way I understand as the purpose. But I know it isn't what lowers. If that were the case, you wouldn't need the new springs. lol
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
It provides your factory shock with a bit more travel before bottoming out. When you lower a car and keep the factory shocks, it reduces the available shock travel. Cutting the bump stops (they are inside the shock dust cover) gives a little more travel back.

Here is my how-to article on the Pfadt springs. You will see pics of the bump stops, they are the yellow-ish rubber things.

http://www.planetlsx.com/tech/How_To...010_Camaro/131
Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
It provides your factory shock with a bit more travel before bottoming out. When you lower a car and keep the factory shocks, it reduces the available shock travel. Cutting the bump stops (they are inside the shock dust cover) gives a little more travel back.

Here is my how-to article on the Pfadt springs. You will see pics of the bump stops, they are the yellow-ish rubber things.

http://www.planetlsx.com/tech/How_To...010_Camaro/131
GREAT write up. I printed and used it. Right down to the last tool needed.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
11flat

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs m6
Thanks Guys!!
11flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hi 11flat,

Very sorry for the late response. Sounds like you got everything taken care of already. I'd like to explain why we reccommend cutting the bumpstops in our procedure. Our Pfadt drop springs provide a 1.25" drop approximately. As a result of this change in static ride height, the usable region of the damper travel is offset, to be approximately 1.25" lower. The Camaro has a very limited amount of bump travel to begin with, before contacting the OEM bumpstops. We recommend to trim 1" from the bumpstop in our installation procedure to give you back that 1.00" of damper travel, that is not influenced by the added spring rate of the bump rubber. We leave some bump stop in place to give a rising rate on big hits. Because dampers function by resisting the shaft velocity, this offset operating region has no negative effects on the component durability, or performance.

This conclusion was made from testing, and experiencing harsh bump characteristics that some have mentioned, who have not cut them. This of course, is just our position in regards to our own product installation. I hope that helps clarify the reasoning.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote