Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I am by no means an educated authority on SCCA racing or race cars in general, but here's one small tidbit to keep in mind......

I was talking to the "FbodFather" in Sturgis a few weeks ago, and I told him to tell the boys back at GM they did a great job with the new Z/28, and that I was thoroughly impressed. His reply was, "We're not done with it yet"!!!!

So....don't get all bent out of shape over SCCA race classes just yet. Just because we've all seen the prototype doesn't mean that is exactly what will be produced next Spring.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
He has many valid points. Chevy is marketing this car as a track ready purpose built car, yet it is unable to compete in any meaningful sanctioned events. The other interesting info I got out of this post is that it seems that the 1LE is not even competitive with the standard 5.0 GT never mind the Boss in the sanctioned SCCA events. There are 7-mustangs ranked above the 1LE some base GTs. Do the 1LE drivers competing not know how to drive? Regardless GM should have made certain that the Z/28 would be able to compete in these events and not just lightning lap articles.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
STRAIGHT FROM THE PRESS RELEASE FROM 3/27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM official
While the new Camaro Z/28 is not intended to compete in a specific race series, it is solely focused on track capability. In initial testing, the Camaro Z/28 is three seconds faster per lap than the Camaro ZL1.

The new 2014 Camaro line will arrive at Chevrolet dealers later in 2013. The Camaro Z/28 is expected to be appearing at track events across the United States in spring 2014.
The car is not meant for any organized racing, and GM acknowledges that. It is a HPDE enthusiast car. "track ready" not "SCCA ready"
Old 07-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Suits me perfect!!!

And i think Justin just flushed thepill down the proverbial crapper forever.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post

The car is not meant for any organized racing, and GM acknowledges that. It is a HPDE enthusiast car. "track ready" not "SCCA ready"
I think a lot of people, myself included forgot about that statement.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #34
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
This guy needs a life.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I will admit I did not word my post well at all. Still early need more coffee!

When I said both sides, what I should have said was this

I understand that this car is not a race car, and that people are going to be able to track it and do very well with it. It is a very track capable street car

The "other side" would be I can understand how some people may be upset/disappointed that with how track focused this car is, and how it follows the heritage of the 67-69 Z/28s that it as it sits wasnt really built to race in a specific series, but GM also stated that when the released the car. Maybe Im still not wording that right, lol. but I think it made sense as to what I should have said haha.
Let me clarify I am not personally attacking you, simply making my points with gusto and emotion

Drag and Tracking have nothing in common other than a car is used for both sports. As has been posted here ad infinitum, ad nauseum, trackers "get it" and non-trackers are trying to make arguments that make no sense

The Z/28 is a fantastic package for its intended purpose. If people will stop interpreting it as something it is not nor was ever meant to be, we can generate more pixels about its tasty goodness and lose the moronic worry over it's "legality" <face palm>

Quote:

Thank you Sir. That is the kind of homework I can respect and relate to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Suits me perfect!!!

And i think Justin just flushed thepill down the proverbial crapper forever.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #36

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Actually this thread (didn't bother reading the Pill's comments) has been pretty informative for me...The true sanctioned, legal, SCAA, whatever, etc. type of hard core racing is total pie-in-the sky for me....

"Track Events" sound more appealing and do-able anyways...lol....And if the Z/28 is made for that purpose and not out of place for the type of build that it is going to be, then all the better....just sayin'.....
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #37
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Actually this thread (didn't bother reading the Pill's comments) has been pretty informative for me...The true sanctioned, legal, SCAA, whatever, etc. type of hard core racing is total pie-in-the sky for me....
"Track Events" sound more appealing and do-able anyways...lol....And if the Z/28 is made for that purpose and not out of place for the type of build that it is going to be, then all the better....just sayin'.....

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #38
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
Huh? I ran a street car in SCCA T1 for many years. Kept plates on it too.
Understood. I was thinking GrandAm/ALMS because that is what the 302S/R are designed to fit within the rules of essentially out of the box. That kind of car never was street legal nor can it ever be made so. A "pure and intended" race car if you will.

OP's argument was based on a race car fitting certain rules.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #39
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
He has many valid points. Chevy is marketing this car as a track ready purpose built car, yet it is unable to compete in any meaningful sanctioned events. The other interesting info I got out of this post is that it seems that the 1LE is not even competitive with the standard 5.0 GT never mind the Boss in the sanctioned SCCA events. There are 7-mustangs ranked above the 1LE some base GTs. Do the 1LE drivers competing not know how to drive? Regardless GM should have made certain that the Z/28 would be able to compete in these events and not just lightning lap articles.
those are not "base GT's"

here is the list thepill posted...

here is the camaro from that list

and a couple SCCA mustangs

which reminds me... this guy has been saying all boss 302's come from the factory built around the rulebook. dont the street 302's come with 19" wheels? which violate the 18" max wheel diameter rule that he posted?

thePill's posts are strangely funny i'll admit... I LOL'd at his chops with the joker in them.

Last edited by Moreno1; 07-12-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Let me clarify I am not personally attacking you, simply making my points with gusto and emotion

Drag and Tracking have nothing in common other than a car is used for both sports. As has been posted here ad infinitum, ad nauseum, trackers "get it" and non-trackers are trying to make arguments that make no sense

The Z/28 is a fantastic package for its intended purpose. If people will stop interpreting it as something it is not nor was ever meant to be, we can generate more pixels about its tasty goodness and lose the moronic worry over it's "legality" <face palm>

Thank you Sir. That is the kind of homework I can respect and relate to.

Got ya
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #41
Witt
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: Locomotives
Quote:
which reminds me... this guy has been saying all boss 302's come from the factory built around the rulebook. dont the street 302's come with 19" wheels? which violate the 18" max wheel diameter rule that he posted?
T1 permits 19x13 and 19x11 inch wheels which is the class the Boss runs in. The Z/28 brakes prohibit the car from competing in T1.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt View Post
T1 permits 19x13 and 19x11 inch wheels which is the class the Boss runs in. The Z/28 brakes prohibit the car from competing in T1.
ah. thanks.

Closed Thread