Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
Strip wash when sprinkling outside

So a friend and I have plans to detail his car this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend.

Assuming we don't care if we get wet, is there any reason we shouldn't do a strip wash on the car in a light rain, pull it into the garage, and then dry it and begin claying and polishing?

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
That's what I'd do, unless its a monsoon of rain....i would just spray some detail spray after you get done washing and pulling into the garage, right as your about to dry it
Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I've washed my car in the rain before. No need to rinse or dry! Didn't plan on driving it afterwards, so I didn't see a problem with it lol
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
That's what I'd do, unless its a monsoon of rain....i would just spray some detail spray after you get done washing and pulling into the garage, right as your about to dry it
I totally agree with this.

Yup, as you wash it, your car will continue being contaminated. Once you strip the protection, bring it inside and do a waterless wash or a detail spray over the car. That should take off all the junk that the rain brought, as well as be a drying aid.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I totally agree with this.

Yup, as you wash it, your car will continue being contaminated. Once you strip the protection, bring it inside and do a waterless wash or a detail spray over the car. That should take off all the junk that the rain brought, as well as be a drying aid.
because no matter what "normal" people say, rain does have contaminants once it reaches your car. Just depends how "crazy" you want to get with it
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
because no matter what "normal" people say, rain does have contaminants once it reaches your car. Just depends how "crazy" you want to get with it
I don't know how "normal" person would disagree that you *should* wash your car after a rain. I mean after all it is called acid rain! and it's a big problem here in florida unfortunately, as you probably know.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote