Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Stalkker66

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Metallic
Drive by wire conversion to Drive by cable?

Hey guys, Just curious if anyone has any input for changing the "drive by wire" to a "drive by cable" system? I perfer the better throttle response of cable. I assume a new TB and possibly pedal?
Does anyone make a full conversion kit?

Thanks guys
Jeff
Stalkker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Not many things are impossible depending on how much money you have to spend, but this is. The engine management system/ECM is engineered for drive by wire from the start, there is no such thing as a "conversion" with any car with DBW.

If you were to remove the gas pedal on DBW systems, which has about 10 wires in a harness that plugs into a harness that goes to your ECM, and replace it with one that uses a cable, you will have check engine lights all over the place and an engine that may not even start. The gas pedal in your car now is actually an electronic potentiometer, like a volume knob on modern stereos. As you press your foot down, it takes the input voltage from the ECM and increases it. The difference in voltages is what the ECM uses to increase timing, fuel/air delivery, and everything else.

It's really completely computer controlled. You cannot operate your engine without the DBW gas pedal installed.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
I think you would have to change more than the TB. Probably a few sensors and the ECM to accomodate the cable TB and not a DBW TB. Brackets and such plus a new hole drilled for the cable.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Just get a ported TB and a good tune

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
How do you know that a cable has better response than the electronic?

The reason I ask is that this same question came up over in the C6 forum -- that there was a "lag" induced by the slow response of the electronic throttle system.

The easily-verifiable answer is that the electronic throttle is every bit as fast as any cable. Any "delays" are due NOT to the inability of the ETC to keep up with your foot, but are purposely in the engine's PCM programming. Attempting an old-school Bypassing of those delays without PCM reprogramming is just an (expensive) exercise in frustration.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Not a fan of drive by wire, my way of knowing its slower than a cable system is not very scientific but proved my point to myself.

in my 04 Mustang GT I would cut on average .050-.090 lights. With a best of .009

07 mustang GT with drive by wire .250-350 with a best of around .150
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Drive by cable always has better throttle response than drive by wire...however...measureable? That I think has yet to be seen.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
The method I used to prove to myself was to have the hood of my C6 open, stand in the open drivers door with 1 foot on the gas pedal. From that odd stance, I could see the throttle butterfly open/close as i pumped the gas pedal. (ignition on, but engine not running, of course)

To my eyes, even as fast as I could stomp the gas pedal, it sure LOOKED like the correlated response was as instantaneous as a cable. No perceptible lag between my foot hitting the floor and the throttle plate at wide open.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Just get a ported TB and a good tune
This.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
That butterfly lag is programmed in. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it was .75 sec before it would go to wide open throttle. That is part of the torque management system on the engine side.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
My fathers Trailblazer SS had a bad throttle delay. A diablo programmer with a tune on it from SLP took care of the problem. He couldn't even tell it was Drive-by-wire after putting the tune in.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Honestly, it would be cheaper to tune out the lag then remove drive by wire. A good tune will respond just as fast as a cable.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
It can't be done without completely changing over the electronic engine control. The traction control, etc. is all tied in with thee ECM. In fact, all of the electronic modules on the car are networked together. You can't change anything in that structure without breaking the function of another system.

As for the Mustang guy that couldn't cut his usual light, you simply need to adjust your launch. No different than if you've changed a suspension, driveline, or engine component. Plenty of guys in those cars can cut a quick light. To blame it on the DBW isn't a good defense.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Anything with the right time and money is possible but the question is if it's worth it. IMO in this case no

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Honestly, it would be cheaper to tune out the lag then remove drive by wire. A good tune will respond just as fast as a cable.
THIS.

IMO if it's that big of a deal try the tune, it will be mucho cheaper.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote