Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Chrysler is out of their minds........ Parts are a rip....

Went to take the Jeep Liberty to get services this morning.

Cost for a gas cap and oil change was 160.00 because they charged me to run a check on the check engine light and when it came back 'emissoins' they spent an hour doing a vacuum leak check to determine it's the gas cap.

I only asked them tocheck the light. I didn't tell them to fix the problem. I made it clear that the cel was on for months too.

THEN, they tell me I need to have the upper and lower ball joints replaced. Lowers are on them, recall item. Uppers are on me. They were about to begin the work.

I stopped them. I'll do it myself. The uppers are one part. The entire control arm. Sucks but easy to replace. Just cost more.

Here's where I get really irritated. They want 319.00 per control arm. I priced them aftermarket. 150.00 all day long. I can buy both for less than they want for one. I can even go really cheap and get them for 80.00 a piece.

Mark Dodge in Mobile Alabama is where I went.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
WOW!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
All car parts (OEM) are over priced!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
All car parts (OEM) are over priced!
Yes, but double? I was a little surprized at that.

Lexus service department is cheaper. They run diagnostic tests at no charge. These Dodge guys charged me full mechanic price for it. If they would have just told me what the cel was, I'd have bought a gas cap and saved all that money.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
BigDan

Drives: bug
Do frequently go to the dealer for service, because nothing seems wrong or high priced for 2011. Remember it's not the 1990's anymore.

Most shop's would bill you for an additional hour or half hour to diagnose and fix the separate problem. Their scanner didn't tell them it was a leaky gas cap, just a code for a leak in the evaporate system and would then need to put the car on a rack and perform a smoke test to find the source of the leak which is usually performed on a $50,000 smog/ smoke machine. I think you made it out of the dealership for a good deal considering most dealership service is $100-$120 an hour labor and dealer oil change/ inspection run's $40-$60 and figure $30 for a gas cap and you're under what I would charge you if I was a service writer at a Jeep dealership.

Their price's on control arm's is noting shocking, again is this the first time you have ever been to any sort of dealership for a price check on their OEM part vs part store brand? All shops mark their parts up 70%-120% from their whole sale price.

Did your signed estimate mention that they were going to diagnose and repair your CEL for free? If it did then you can get that refunded. Or did you ask them to call you regarding the results of your complimentary computer diagnostic scan to see if you wanted to fix the problem or just walk across the street to wal mart and buy and fix it yourself. Or did you ask for an oil change and mentioned that there was a CEL on while you walked out the door?

EVERYTHING at the dealer cost's money, just like the $15 Tylenol they give you in the ER.

Last edited by BigDan; 01-19-2011 at 06:38 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Do frequently go to the dealer for service, because nothing seems wrong or high priced for 2011. It's not the 1990's anymore.

Most shop's would bill you for an additional hour or half hour to diagnose and fix the separate problem. Their scanner didn't tell them it was a leaky gas cap, just a code for a leak in the evaporate system and would then need to put the car on a rack and perform a smoke test to find the source of the leak which is usually performed on a $50,000 smog/ smoke machine. I think you made it out of the dealership for a good deal considering most dealership service is $100-$120 an hour labor and dealer oil change/ inspection run's $40-$60 and figure $30 for a gas cap and you're under what I would charge you if I was a service writer at a Jeep dealership.
Well considering he only wanted to know what the code was, yeah it was expensive. They performed work he did not authorize.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Well, I suppose a little could be my own fault for not reading the small book they put in front of me to sign with people standing behind me as well waiting to get service.

But I specifically told him that I just want to know what the code is. I told him I tried to use my SCT scanner but it's married to another car. I made it clear. I just want the code.

And as far as the smog/smoke leak test? Again, Lexus does not charge for that. Lexus parts are not double the aftermarket either. Neither is GM. I can show the price difference here.

It broke down like this;

Filter EN 9057006 = 8.40
Mopar Oil = 2.38x5 = 11.90
Waste Disposal = 10.60
Tech (S) 784 = 12.00
Sales Tax = 1.83
Total Oil Service = 44.73

Fair enough.

Fuel Cap = 20.46
Tech (S) 116 = 94.00
Sales Tax = 1.74
Total Service = 116.20

Total Oil Service = 44.73
Total Service = 116.20
Total = 160.93

So you see. Wether I signed the sheet with all the writing on it or not, it's a bit ridiculous to cost 160 dollars for a gas cap and oil change.

Bottom line? I have always taken my cars to the dealer for service while they were under finance. This Jeep has been paid for for a number of years. My Camaro and Bonnies Lexus have ONLY gone to the respective dealers. NEVER had a problem or been taken advantage of like this.

94.00 when I specifically told them to check the light and let me know.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
BigDan

Drives: bug
^^
Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Did your signed estimate mention that they were going to diagnose and repair your CEL for free? If it did then you can get that refunded.
Why didn't you tell the dealer that the work they performed was un-authorized and you want it removed from your bill and they would give you back your leaky gas cap and remove the charges. That's the first thing I learned in shop class and I've had to use it a few time's like when I took my red 67 Camaro to a detailer and he tried to charge me an extra $150 for "extra buffing" I said "I didn't authorize that besides I only have the amount I signed for anyways" and showed him the cash and he grabbed it and tossed me my keys.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Remember what Joe Pesci said about the drive through, well just apply that same theory to the dealership " They %*&^ you at the dealership"
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
What a mess....

Oil change was reasonable.

Gas cap diagnosis absurd.

There is a reason I wrench on my own cars.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
What a mess....

Oil change was reasonable.

Gas cap diagnosis absurd.

There is a reason I wrench on my own cars.

Unless I don't have the tools.. then I just wait for the pinch.

Oh, just remembered.. did you check to see if it said 'Made in Italy' on the cap? Or if it was a specialty 'Gucci gas cap'?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #12
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Join jeepforum.com

They have the forum broken down to the different models,if you have the code of the computer/jeep.

Nine out of ten those guys know what the code means or can give you an idea,that you can try to figure out what the problem is.

Cheaper in the long run....................
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
sucks, but if you don't have a scanner just about any autoparts store will run codes for no charge, then as Lauren said there are great sites out there for Jeep enthusiasts that can help you out. I just had to change ball joints on my Jeep, dealer and actually the private mechanics I checked was around 650 for parts and labor. i found Moog makes push in ball joins so i got a set of those and found a mechanic that would change them and got it done for less than half that. Every dealership I have ever dealt with has been overpriced regardless of the make, just the way it is. Besides if you want to pay dealership prices you can usually end up getting a better upgraded part for the same or less than what they charge, ie the Moog ball joints instead of the crappy stocker.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
When it comes to part prices that's standard operating procedure for dealers, also true for a lot of businesses. Double what ever you pay for stuff you're reselling to your customers. Fortunately for me there is a local parts chain (Speedway Auto Parts) that carries GM parts, and about 90% of the time it costs me exactly half of what the dealer wants.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote