Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
2014 L99 Camaro 2SS Range device users

Any 2014 2SS L99 Camaro members out there using the Range with no ill effects? Range technology site has a link that asserts that they are still working some glitches out of the device for 2014-2015 models GM cars to include 2SS AFM Camaros equipped with a host of electronic features such as navigation and multiple power features. Range asserts that anyone that experiences CEL's on these later units will be provided a free upgrade/reflash of unit as soon as one becomes available. To me ,in layman terms, that would mean to maybe hold off on purchasing one until Range Technologies can work the potential bugs out. Can anyone reflect on this?
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
No issues with me. 2014 1SS with nav etc. Maybe a little battery drain if I ride my motorcycle a few days in a row and not the car. But no ill side effects whatsoever.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
RobertRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
No issues with me. 2014 1SS with nav etc. Maybe a little battery drain if I ride my motorcycle a few days in a row and not the car. But no ill side effects whatsoever.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
How long have you been using yours? Miles..etc.?

Range Technologies states that in most cases of these later model units experiencing issues is due to the engine not being started right away ,as in turning the key to the "on" position for 15-20 seconds before cranking and starting engine. I'm wondering how they arrived at that conclusion? Who turns their ignition on for that long before cranking engine over??
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Listening to the radio?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
RobertRS

Curious as to how many 2014 SS owners are experiencing trouble free operation using the Range. Also would like to hear from any 2014 owners that experienced issues with it installed.

Here is a product description paragraph from Amazon site on the Range unit:

" The Range AFM Disable Device keeps your truck in 8 cylinder mode 100% of the time, preventing the Active Fuel Management system from dropping cylinders. This is the only product that will disable Active Fuel Management WITHOUT REPROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ECU. Full power delivery all the time without factory warranty concerns. This works for all GM AFM equipped cars, trucks, and SUVs up to 2013 model year. It will work with 2014/15s but there may be some bugs (we are working on them and will offer a free update to any that purchased this item for the 14s/15s when it is released). "

Last edited by RobertRS; 06-23-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
Any 2014 2SS L99 Camaro members out there using the Range with no ill effects? Range technology site has a link that asserts that they are still working some glitches out of the device for 2014-2015 models GM cars to include 2SS AFM Camaros equipped with a host of electronic features such as navigation and multiple power features. Range asserts that anyone that experiences CEL's on these later units will be provided a free upgrade/reflash of unit as soon as one becomes available. To me ,in layman terms, that would mean to maybe hold off on purchasing one until Range Technologies can work the potential bugs out. Can anyone reflect on this?
My mylink completely shut off while I was driving with it twice. I strongly suggest a remote or dyno tune.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

A wise man once said, he who eats crackers in bed get crummy sleep.
tekteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Grant
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM A6
I have issues with my Range on my 2013 so I stopped using it. It got to the point where I couldn't even start the car unless I took it out and waited a good 5 minutes.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
RobertRS

I appreciate the input on this topic so far. One question to those in the know though, ..It is my understanding that AFM will not initiate in M or manual shift mode. Is this a fact? If one were to place the shifter and paddle up to M5 I assume the tranny will still downshift and upshift up through 5th gear automatically. What I don't know is that whether this locks out AFM from initiating or not. My second question would be that if the shifter is in M6 mode ,will the AFM initiate in that gear selection position? Any clarity on this is much appreciated.

I do know for a fact that the Chevy trucks thru 2013 MY so equipped with AFM will not go into cylinder deactivation in M5 shift mode but will if in M6. Just not clear on the Camaros.

Last edited by RobertRS; 06-23-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
I appreciate the input on this topic so far. One question to those in the know though, ..It is my understanding that AFM will not initiate in M or manual shift mode. Is this a fact? If one were to place the shifter and paddle up to M5 I assume the tranny will still downshift and upshift up through 5th gear automatically. What I don't know is that whether this locks out AFM from initiating or not. My second question would be that if the shifter is in M6 mode ,will the AFM initiate in that gear selection position? Any clarity on this is much appreciated.

I do know for a fact that the Chevy trucks thru 2013 MY so equipped with AFM will not go into cylinder deactivation in M5 shift mode but will if in M6. Just not clear on the Camaros.
when you are cruising you would leave your car at a gear where you are at around 3000rpm which would prevent AFM from activating. Not very fuel efficient though.

2014 L99 Camaro 2SS/RS ~ Flowmaster American Thunder Catback ~ Cold Air Inductions CAI ~ VMAX Ported TB ~ ARH Catted LTs ~ Tuned by Ted @ JRE

Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
RobertRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
when you are cruising you would leave your car at a gear where you are at around 3000rpm which would prevent AFM from activating. Not very fuel efficient though.
So you are saying that AFM will still initiate in M mode unless a lower gear and higher rpms are maintained? Or is that speculation? The GM trucks up to the 2013 MY,I mentioned above, will not go into AFM in M5 mode regardless of rpms or speed maintained. This is fact as the DIC in the trucks have a feature that lets you know if it is in 4 cylinder mode.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Shoefly22

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Had no issues for 3 weeks. Until this weekend when I started the car 3 time within 10 minutes it wouldn't crank. So I shut the key off/pulled it out for 10 secs and then tried restarting it again. Probably a read error. Never happened again. I started it about another 5 times that day with no prob. It doesn't bother me that it did it. I'd rather have the range than run high rpm/down a gear.
Shoefly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #12
tekteq
HT5 in the 626

Quote:
So you are saying that AFM will still initiate in M mode unless a lower gear and higher rpms are maintained? Or is that speculation? The GM trucks up to the 2013 MY,I mentioned above, will not go into AFM in M5 mode regardless of rpms or speed maintained. This is fact as the DIC in the trucks have a feature that lets you know if it is in 4 cylinder mode.
Well its been claimed both ways. Try for yourself when you get your L99, I have mine tuned out so I forget lol

Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
RobertRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekteq View Post
Well its been claimed both ways. Try for yourself when you get your L99, I have mine tuned out so I forget lol

I've already got the L99. Picked it up this past Saturday. Just haven't had enough time behind the wheel to sort out whether M5 will prevent AFM from kicking in or not.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
jr2014ss

Drives: 2014 SS l99
Got one for sale on me
jr2014ss is offline   Reply With Quote