Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
charged

Drives: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
So you didn't go smaller intake? I ask because My tuner also uses EFI and said the car 95% perfect but gets that weird freq loss in the intake and suggests a smaller tube.

I still have the 4.5 tube and john was more than happy to help me out.
charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Matt@KB

Drives: 67 Camaro
No need to change the tube to get the tune right. There plenty of guys running out there with the 4.5" tube and no issues. Its all in the tune. John definitely knows his stuff to get it done with the 4.5" tube.
Matt@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@KB View Post
No need to change the tube to get the tune right. There plenty of guys running out there with the 4.5" tube and no issues. Its all in the tune. John definitely knows his stuff to get it done with the 4.5" tube.
I never said it could not be done as I have several that still have the 4.5 Tube and run Quite well.

I Said you Lose resolution, that is a FACT.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
HRC

Drives: 2010 2SS
Ted, good to see a fellow Ty'er on another forum! I think we've spoke on the phone before over a few different things.. anyway..

Has anyone approached KB regarding the tube size? I totally agree with you, and was even considering putting a "bottleneck" inside the 4.5 and see if it helps. Mine has always been spongy around idle. Not to contradict myself either because I'm learning the tuning as fast as I can, but wouldn't teh VE tables and/or the MAP tables, and the combination of the 3 correct for the lower resolution within the MAF?
Granted, I do think the look of the huge polished tube is pretty tough, but looks doesn't mean squat if you cant drive it.
I have many of the "make your own CAI" components in my store and what got me thinking of the bottleneck idea was that one of the MAF tube pieces has a selection of different diameter cones to intall to help correct MAF calibration and selection. Why not put a small 6-8" long )( within the tube to increase the air velocity at the sensor? I know intake plenum volume is somewhat critical, but I can also see where a 3" tube may be too restrictive on a blower car, let alone with a big cam?
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
Ted, good to see a fellow Ty'er on another forum! I think we've spoke on the phone before over a few different things.. anyway..

Has anyone approached KB regarding the tube size? I totally agree with you, and was even considering putting a "bottleneck" inside the 4.5 and see if it helps. Mine has always been spongy around idle. Not to contradict myself either because I'm learning the tuning as fast as I can, but wouldn't teh VE tables and/or the MAP tables, and the combination of the 3 correct for the lower resolution within the MAF?
Granted, I do think the look of the huge polished tube is pretty tough, but looks doesn't mean squat if you cant drive it.
I have many of the "make your own CAI" components in my store and what got me thinking of the bottleneck idea was that one of the MAF tube pieces has a selection of different diameter cones to intall to help correct MAF calibration and selection. Why not put a small 6-8" long )( within the tube to increase the air velocity at the sensor? I know intake plenum volume is somewhat critical, but I can also see where a 3" tube may be too restrictive on a blower car, let alone with a big cam?
LOL, yeah you caught me Doing What I love to do, MAKE HP!

I have, but they don't feel my Opinion is Valid.

Same with the IAT issues.

It is best to keep the pipe size consistent and smooth to avoid Turbulence, 4 inch is the Correct Size.

Ted.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
My car is sitting at ECS getting that exact tube done. THey told me the same thing last week and when I contacted KB I was told they were not aware of this issue and referred me to the KB tuner. I just received email saying that the honeycomb stream straightener would resolve this. ???? What honeycomb straightener, not in my kit???? So I will let ecs do their magic and be done with this.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
Matt@KB

Never said anything like that Ted we have shown nothing but appreciation for your input and information. We have to ask ourselves why only a small amount of shops can't seem to tune the tube while some can? You implied that it cant be done with the current tube but it can. 4" is not the correct size for our kit. NO NEED TO CHANGE THE TUBE just find a good tuner who can tune for the way the kit comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
LOL, yeah you caught me Doing What I love to do, MAKE HP!

I have, but they don't feel my Opinion is Valid.

Same with the IAT issues.

It is best to keep the pipe size consistent and smooth to avoid Turbulence, 4 inch is the Correct Size.

Ted.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Never said anything like that Ted we have shown nothing but appreciation for your input and information. We have to ask ourselves why only a small amount of shops can't seem to tune the tube while some can? You implied that it cant be done with the current tube but it can. 4" is not the correct size for our kit. NO NEED TO CHANGE THE TUBE just find a good tuner who can tune for the way the kit comes.
When I called about the intake tube I was shut down immediately, again I only Deal in FACTS.

I can tune with the 4.5 inch tube, and Have several times, AGAIN I didn't say I couldn't tune with it.

I find we make exactly the same power and have better resolution with the 4 inch tube.

Also the L99 Cars Trans Computer can not properly calculate engine Torque with the 4.5 inch Tube.

Most all of these cars run a STOCK or Ported STOCK TB so why do we need a 4.5 inch tube?

Ted.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:

If ted cant tune it, I dont think jesus would be able to tune it lol
Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
Matt@KB

If you can tune it then why have people change it? No need to change it then if it can be done. You contradict yourself by saying you can do it but all this time you been saying it has to be changed to a 4". Why do you want to sell customers smaller tubes if you can tune the 4.5"?
Quote:
When I called about the intake tube I was shut down immediately, again I only Deal in FACTS.

I can tune with the 4.5 inch tube, and Have several times, AGAIN I didn't say I couldn't tune with it.

I find we make exactly the same power and have better resolution with the 4 inch tube.

Also the L99 Cars Trans Computer can not properly calculate engine Torque with the 4.5 inch Tube.

Most all of these cars run a STOCK or Ported STOCK TB so why do we need a 4.5 inch tube?

Ted.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
If you can tune it then why have people change it? No need to change it then if it can be done. You contradict yourself by saying you can do it but all this time you been saying it has to be changed to a 4". Why do you want to sell customers smaller tubes if you can tune the 4.5"?
I guess your skimming over the Stuff I write too fast, and assuming I said something I didn't.

It is all about Resolution and TCM Torque calculations.

Why reduce your Resolution when there is SO much Range in the Stock MAF.

I can understand if this is a carry over from the Ford Kits Where Maxing the MAF is So common, this would require a bigger tube or a MAFIA to scale the MAF back to increase the range.

Ted.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Matt@KB

Not assuming, its what you have told customers in the past maybe not in this thread but it has been said before. Some of your customer have called us to ask if its necessary after speaking with Janetty Racing. Why would this thread be started in the first place if someone didn't tell one of these customers it was necessary?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Not assuming, its what you have told customers in the past maybe not in this thread but it has been said before. Some of your customer have called us to ask if its necessary after speaking with Janetty Racing. Why would this thread be started in the first place if someone didn't tell one of these customers it was necessary?
Because when you hear something second hand it can easily be taken out of context.

And it is 1 Customer, Whom I explained the Resolution issue to and it was his words not mine.

Unless I called you and told you personally or put it in writing on this site it may not be reliable or translated Properly.

Ted.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Matt@KB

But you admit saying it then to one customer? And you back it up in this thread. So i would say that makes it pretty reliable. Maybe not 100% correct on what came out of your mouth but you do admit to telling a customer the only way to fix it is to change the tube to the 4". All we are saying is that it does NOT need to be changed to fix the issue which has been proven by the shops that can tune it.
Quote:
Because when you hear something second hand it can easily be taken out of context.

And it is 1 Customer, Whom I explained the Resolution issue to and it was his words not mine.

Unless I called you and told you personally or put it in writing on this site it may not be reliable or translated Properly.

Ted.