Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Recession over?

3 months of growth. I dunno, I think its gonna be a 12month assessment to be sure.What do you think?

Last edited by DGthe3; 12-01-2009 at 03:22 AM. Reason: removed political comment
THUMPER20X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Nope! Not over yet! Dig in...it's gonna be a looong fall.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
No, my wife just found out her job could be in jeopardy due to the economy which would mean no Camaro for me.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Gibby
Z28 LS9

Drives: Traverse, Blazer, Cadillac,Fat Boy
Canada is now OFFICIALLY out of the recession!

I hope you guys are still investing! There is a lot of $ to be made.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
You guys must have a pretty weak definition of being "out" of the recession. The Canadian economic situation is no where near as dire as south of the boarder. None-the-less the current business thinking is we will be seeing a mix of negative indicators over the next several months and then a slow recovery thereafter.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Recession: 2 consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. Therefore, once you have a quarter with growth you are out of recession. Being out of recession does not in any way indicate that things are fine because revenues will still be down substantially from where they were, unemployment will be high, and all the other symptoms of a bad economy will still be present. However, since this is economics, facts don't matter too much, merely the perception of the facts. Being out of recession will have a general positive impact because people will believe that things are fine even though nothing has really changed. They will then increase spending (both personal consumption and business expenditures) thus pulling themselves out of the no-longer existent recession. This is very similar to how recessions generally start: people fear one is coming so the stop spending thus causing the recession they feared.

The causes (and solutions to) recessions do have basis in reality, but for Canada the basis is America. When they buy our stuff, things are good. When they don't, it gets tough. We weren't hit as hard as they were mainly because our banks were smarter. But we won't be in the clear until the US begins to recover because our primary and secondary industries are extremely dependant on them.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well I don't know about all that economics/Wall Street BS, as a small business owner I can tell you from the seat of my pants the recession in the real world is far from over and the people I've had to layoff will disgree as well. We provide engineering services to some big corporations (Chevron, Kaiser, Valero) to name a few and they have without exception pulled back on planned expenditures and show no sign changing course. Our work is usually anywhere from from 1-3 years ahead of actual project implementation and there is very little upfront work out there right now which means they have no plans to spend money anytime soon.

This has nothing to do with who is President, it's the result of unfettered greed that has finally caught up with us. jmo
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have been seeing more positive reports in the news lately. It used to be that everything was negative. It may not be over but it looks like there are signs of improvement.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Just an obligatory note.

Please no politics.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Politics? I thought this was economics.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Recession: 2 consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. Therefore, once you have a quarter with growth you are out of recession. Being out of recession does not in any way indicate that things are fine because revenues will still be down substantially from where they were, unemployment will be high, and all the other symptoms of a bad economy will still be present. However, since this is economics, facts don't matter too much, merely the perception of the facts. Being out of recession will have a general positive impact because people will believe that things are fine even though nothing has really changed. They will then increase spending (both personal consumption and business expenditures) thus pulling themselves out of the no-longer existent recession. This is very similar to how recessions generally start: people fear one is coming so the stop spending thus causing the recession they feared.

The causes (and solutions to) recessions do have basis in reality, but for Canada the basis is America. When they buy our stuff, things are good. When they don't, it gets tough. We weren't hit as hard as they were mainly because our banks were smarter. But we won't be in the clear until the US begins to recover because our primary and secondary industries are extremely dependant on them.
That's a good definition from a textbook perspective - which I do agree with largely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post
Well I don't know about all that economics/Wall Street BS, as a small business owner I can tell you from the seat of my pants the recession in the real world is far from over and the people I've had to layoff will disgree as well. We provide engineering services to some big corporations (Chevron, Kaiser, Valero) to name a few and they have without exception pulled back on planned expenditures and show no sign changing course. Our work is usually anywhere from from 1-3 years ahead of actual project implementation and there is very little upfront work out there right now which means they have no plans to spend money anytime soon.

This has nothing to do with who is President, it's the result of unfettered greed that has finally caught up with us. jmo
And that's a good definition from a business owner's perspective - which I also agree with.

For every "positive" sign in the media you can find 3 negative ones. This is largely hype but unfortunately it's what drives peoples thoughts. Reality is, it ain't over yet, the fat lady is out to lunch somewhere and won't be back for a while.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SS View Post
Politics? I thought this was economics.

But you may be surpised at how quickly the tide can turn around here...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
For every "positive" sign in the media you can find 3 negative ones. This is largely hype but unfortunately it's what drives peoples thoughts. Reality is, it ain't over yet, the fat lady is out to lunch somewhere and won't be back for a while.
This past year has really made me question the intelligence of the media. They act as though they have no influence, yet its clear they play a huge role in controlling peoples perception of events. Therefore, they either are stupid for not even realizing the consequences of their industry, or they are stupid for not really caring about the consequences of their industry.

Why can't there be one network that ignores irrelevant celebrity gossip, attention seekers, and pointless filler like a family of ducks crossing a road. Why can't they just present unbiased facts within a context that puts things into perspective. Need filler? Bring out one of your on staff experts to give background info on a current topic. Is that really so hard and undesirable?

Rant over
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
One thing you must understand about the market - by the time the media has wind of movement, it's already too late. People make money on the stockmarket by investing before the media finds out.
sen10l is offline   Reply With Quote