Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #1
Fadl

Drives: Inferno Orange Camaro SS 2013
Over the Radiator Cold Air Intake

Guys, I was looking OTR Intakes for my SS; and I found this product; It claims good numbers dyno tested but never heard of it before.

http://www.xairwakeboarding.com/prod...mance/FHVEC-PL

Vararam doesn't work for my 13 SS, and New Era increases temp and requires tilting of radiator; i can't seem to find any other OTR Intake, Please let me know if you have heard of this X air or is worth considering.
Fadl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
Guys, I was looking OTR Intakes for my SS; and I found this product; It claims good numbers dyno tested but never heard of it before.

http://www.xairwakeboarding.com/prod...mance/FHVEC-PL

Vararam doesn't work for my 13 SS, and New Era increases temp and requires tilting of radiator; i can't seem to find any other OTR Intake, Please let me know if you have heard of this X air or is worth considering.
Well for starters, I've never seen anything of the NE OTR increasing temp any at all. And the one you posted has to tilt the radiator as well.

"The Standard Kit includes Black Alloy Brackets to Tilt the Radiator Back, Breather Line Extension Hose and Attachment Hoses for installing with the MAF Pipe."

To each their own, but do a little more research before posting up things like this. There's not a single CAI that's going to make the power that they claim.

"Proven gain of 22kw (30hp) Power / 20Nm (15Ft-lb) Torque At The Rear Wheels on a 2012 Manual LS3 Camaro over Standard as a straight Bolt On (No Tune)!"

"After an ECU Tune the Camaro made a total gain of 32kw (43hp) Power / 41Nm (31Ft-lb) Torque At The Rear Wheels over standard! Thats approximately 40kw (54hp) / 51Nm (39Ft-lb) at the Engine!!! "

If you believe this, then I have some beach front property in the Sahara Desert I'll sell you......for cheap!!

And on a side note, there's way more cost effective things to spend $566 USD on vs an unfounded CAI.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Well for starters, I've never seen anything of the NE OTR increasing temp any at all. And the one you posted has to tilt the radiator as well.

"The Standard Kit includes Black Alloy Brackets to Tilt the Radiator Back, Breather Line Extension Hose and Attachment Hoses for installing with the MAF Pipe."

To each their own, but do a little more research before posting up things like this. There's not a single CAI that's going to make the power that they claim.

"Proven gain of 22kw (30hp) Power / 20Nm (15Ft-lb) Torque At The Rear Wheels on a 2012 Manual LS3 Camaro over Standard as a straight Bolt On (No Tune)!"

"After an ECU Tune the Camaro made a total gain of 32kw (43hp) Power / 41Nm (31Ft-lb) Torque At The Rear Wheels over standard! Thats approximately 40kw (54hp) / 51Nm (39Ft-lb) at the Engine!!! "

If you believe this, then I have some beach front property in the Sahara Desert I'll sell you......for cheap!!

+1

If your going to go with an OTR go with New Era. CAI Inc and ADM both make a good one, its not an OTR but they out perform the others when it comes to keeping your temps cool.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
Fadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post

And on a side note, there's way more cost effective things to spend $566 USD on vs an unfounded CAI.
Dude chill...think before you reply..If i would know I wouldn't have asked on the forum.
I have seen results on the forum showing the New Era temp increase; HYG one of the links check it out:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en

On the other hand, you are right this seems to tilt radiator too and I agree with you It doesn't seem trustworthy neither do their numbers and that is why I'm here asking if anyone heard of it or tried it... so you think the radiator tilting is a major prob?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Fadl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
+1

If your going to go with an OTR go with New Era. CAI Inc and ADM both make a good one, its not an OTR but they out perform the others when it comes to keeping your temps cool.
The CAI results don't seem as good as the New Era or Vararam when it comes to HP and Torque increase, that is why I'm looking for an OTR
on the other hand, are you referring to CAI with ADM scoop?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Dude chill...think before you reply..If i would know I wouldn't have asked on the forum.
I have seen results on the forum showing the New Era temp increase; HYG one of the links check it out:

On the other hand, you are right this seems to tilt radiator too and I agree with you It doesn't seem trustworthy neither do their numbers and that is why I'm here asking if anyone heard of it or tried it... so you think the radiator tilting is a major prob?
Bad link. Here's the correct one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...=1&output=html

If you look, it was the only one with zero temp climb. I don't think tilting the radiator would have any kind of detrimental side effects. Air is still going to be flowing through it. Maybe at a slightly less efficient rate being it's not facing headlong into the airstream. I'm sure others who have the OTR that require tilting will be chiming in shortly.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
The CAI results don't seem as good as the New Era or Vararam when it comes to HP and Torque increase, that is why I'm looking for an OTR
If you want to go with an intake/filter that let's in more dust/debris into your engine for the sake of marginal more HP gains (marginal as in margin of error) then go right ahead.

If you want to go with something proven, then go with CAI Inc.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
1KillerSS

Quote:
I wouldn't get to hung up on hp gains, dont get me wrong, you don't want to give up any power if you can, but temps are a big deal on our cars, so much is effected by temps.

CAI Inc (Cold Air Inductions) with the ADM race scoop is what I ran, performed well. ADM is another strong performer. I honestly would put them back to back, and you'll be hard pressed to find much difference.

OTR is IMO a better option than either, but your driving a 13 so your choices are limited. Temps are key.

of the ones I mentioned, they have the best temp management. Sitting at a stop light or waiting to stage at the track you could see temps climb as high as 50 degrees above ambient. Yes once you start getting down the track they will drop, but your going to loose a good 60 in the process. IMO

I took some temps from all three of the systems I have used, N&N AIRAID, and CAI inc. So ill just speak on those. CAI Inc was by far the best performer.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 05-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #9
1KillerSS

Dyno testing is not the best example of how CAI's perform on the street. Cars on the dyno 95% of the time have fans blowing air all over the place to "help" keep the car from over heating and developing heat soak. They are not good indicators of stop and go traffic. Or waiting to stage at the track.

Build thread
Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

Dont sweat it..ive seen in the top right corner many times an ad for a popular cai system on here advertising 30 rwhp gains. So there more then 1 bs claim by manufacturers.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
Fadl

Thanks..do you have any real numbers of the CAI with ADM vs New Era or Vararam?
Also, do you know if I can buy the CAI with the ADM scoop as a package; where?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
If you want to go with an intake/filter that let's in more dust/debris into your engine for the sake of marginal more HP gains (marginal as in margin of error) then go right ahead.

If you want to go with something proven, then go with CAI Inc.
The same thing can be said for the argument of an aftermarket cold air intake vs. the OEM airbox. If you want to get an intake that lets in more debris/dust in your engine for a marginal increase in power then go ahead. If you want something proven, then stick with the OEM box which was more heavily R&D by GM then any aftermarket intake out there.
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
1KillerSS

Yes you can use the ADM race scoop with the CAI inc, brand CAI. Thats the exact setup I ran. You will also need to get a washer bottle relocation kit.

Try ordering from maryland speed or CAI Inc directly. Ohio Speed has them too, most of the vendors here carry them.

Build thread
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Yes you can use the ADM race scoop with the CAI inc, brand CAI. Thats the exact setup I ran. You will also need to get a washer bottle relocation kit.

Try ordering from maryland speed or CAI Inc directly. Ohio Speed has them too, most of the vendors here carry them.
Washer bottle fits fine with the CAI Inc intake only, when you get the scoop like he said above you will need to do something about the washer bottle.

I actually just threw mine away, I never use it. Never liked the idea of squirting soapy water all over my car and letting it bake in the sun. But there are a bunch of relocation kits out there if you decide to keep it.