Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #29
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
IMO the engine still has to break in. Once it breaks in it will wake up trust me. My 2LT once it had some miles on it had a good snap to it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Its difficult to break the tires loose with the sticky PZeros in warm weather (above 70) especially with traction control on. I'm happy with mine. I'm not running PZeros at the moment, running General GMax AS-03s, and can break them loose easily. Its a manual tranny without active fuel management which may help the performance a bit. I'm sure you could easily sell your SS with spring just around the corner and upgrade.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
civdiv99

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Auto in Silver Ice
That's something I was wondering about - since the owner's manual didn't get into any break in instructions, I was thinking there is a programmed routine in the computer. Makes sense; Ski Doo has been doing that for years.

I have always run 92 in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
IMO the engine still has to break in. Once it breaks in it will wake up trust me. My 2LT once it had some miles on it had a good snap to it.
civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
civdiv99

That's useful info about the tires in warm weather. I knew test driving it in 90 something weather would affect responsiveness, but I'm still thinking it's got pretty mellow tip in.

Selling it for something that spins the tires isn't the point. It was simply my example of the mellow throttle responsiveness experienced. As I said in the original post - perhaps this is typical. If so, I will consider a tune at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
Its difficult to break the tires loose with the sticky PZeros in warm weather (above 70) especially with traction control on. I'm happy with mine. I'm not running PZeros at the moment, running General GMax AS-03s, and can break them loose easily. Its a manual tranny without active fuel management which may help the performance a bit. I'm sure you could easily sell your SS with spring just around the corner and upgrade.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #33
civdiv99

Yeah reading this forum (joined aug 2011 not long after purchase), I did fuse pulls regularly. After awhile I figured I've run enough 92 through it, so discontinued that routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
What kind of fuel are u using?

Run the tank out put in 91 then pull the #5 and #20 fuses overnight

will feel like a new car.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #34
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
civdiv99-I really don't see any of the shortcommings you've described in my 2012 SS and I have over 10K now. Not one problem or flaw in outside or inside and this Camaro flies although I honestly haven't punched it from a stop to burn or slip a Pirelli tire.........I hope I can get 30+K on a set. BTW I'm 65 and my wife that I bought it for is 62, She loves her Hawaii Five-O car and like me only fills-up with the best premium fuel we can find. Hope you find happiness in a Camaro.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #35
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by civdiv99 View Post
That's something I was wondering about - since the owner's manual didn't get into any break in instructions, I was thinking there is a programmed routine in the computer. Makes sense; Ski Doo has been doing that for years.

I have always run 92 in it.

Well, my dealer assured me they would put 93 in mine at delivery. I walked to the rear of the dealer and caught them fueling from an unmarked tank in the rear. Since it was the only fuel tank on the lot, I dont think it was 93. Fuse pull may still make a difference for you, especially if the first fill up was from the dealership. It seemed to help me.
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #36
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Nope, not harsh at all. My topic was not "this sucks." It will sound like that of course, since the nature of my post means I need to give readers examples of what I am talking about, or else the question in the topic line is meaningless.

The responses suggesting I go buy a 100K car imply that this level of quality at $40K is somehow expected. Or that I am nitpicking. Ok, cool. That's exactly what I was asking. I have nothing to compare it to except a $15k Chrysler (better interior fit and finish, and this ain't a very high bar here), a BMW (apples and oranges, so not valid). And a pickup truck that doesn't feel like there's a nanny in the equation.
The camaro was just ranked #1 in its class for dependability , I just got back from a weekend at the Chicago car show , Good luck getting a BMW for $40 k that doesnt look like a yuppie wanna be car if even possible , I really did not spend much time in that section as the area/ people was not my cup of tea. Take your list drive your car to the dealership and have them address all these issues they will take care of them if valid, I had some and they repaired a few things and have never had to have it repaired again. , The Camaro is not a "luxury" car .Thus most of the $ was put in performance , not fine detailing of the inside. It is a sports car. The power thing i dont know what is wrong but if i were you i would have the dealer look at it and if he says it is fine than take it out to your local drag strip and see what kind of times you have . If not where they should be you should receive lots of recommendations from people on this forum a lot smarter than me. Good Luck on getting these things resolved as it sounds like you are keeping it , I hope you feel better about your Camaro after these things get fixed for you
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
civdiv99

Please read what i said. It is not unreasonable to expect a 400 HP Camaro to display comparable if not superior level of throttle response. But the point of my post was just that: "Is that an unreasonable expectation?"

I also said I was NOT expecting comparable interior finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
Are you seriously comparing a Camaro to a BMW (X5)?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #38
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Please read what i said. It is not unreasonable to expect a 400 HP Camaro to display comparable if not superior level of throttle response. But the point of my post was just that: "Is that an unreasonable expectation?"

I also said I was NOT expecting comparable interior finish.

Your expectations sound reasonable to me. Get with someone that owns a similar Camaro and ask them to check it for you. The rest, warranty or trade it in for a different (better) Camaro..
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Maybe trade in the wife?...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #40
civdiv99

Ok, lemme run outside and take a quick inventory.......

Let's see. TWO Camaros. (there were 3, but I sold the second gen some time ago when I needed a truck instead).

And a Chrysler.
And a Toyota.
And a 10 yr old BMW.

So, yeah, I guess I'm doing a piss poor job of upholding that BMW cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
Yeah, there are just people that are like this, this is a bmw lover, and if its not a bmw its junk, i know people that are the same way about other brands. The camaro is head turner, plain and simple, the bmw is well
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #41
civdiv99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Maybe trade in the wife?...
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #42
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Yours may have I don't know, but both my 2010 and my current 2012 have been excellent in build quality so that is all I can go by.