Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
my1stgen515
2019 2SS

Drives: 2019 2ss w LT1, Mosaic Black & NPP
Help with winter tires

Greetings from the new member and proud 1st time owner of a 2015 1ss LS3 with a Diablo tune (93 octane). I Love this car. As I'm in the Northeast region and this Camaro will be my daily driver I was wondering if someone here can give this newbe some good advice on winter tires. The stock tires on the car are summer rated;
Fronts 245/45 zr20 103y
Rears 275/40 zr20 106y.
Thanks guys
my1stgen515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Welcome to camaro5! For winter/snow tires you want Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. Not sure if they make one for the camaro 20's, but if they do then they're your tire. I have them for my wife's Grand Am and they're awesome!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I have the general G max tires. They're considered all seasons but they're great in the snow. Ive gotten out of being plowed into a spot at work that was eight inches deep and at least two feet across.

Sent from my Nexus 7
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
chasmanian

Don't try to drive with the p zeros. It's bad- real bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1stgen515 View Post
Greetings from the new member and proud 1st time owner of a 2015 1ss LS3 with a Diablo tune (93 octane). I Love this car. As I'm in the Northeast region and this Camaro will be my daily driver I was wondering if someone here can give this newbe some good advice on winter tires. The stock tires on the car are summer rated;
Fronts 245/45 zr20 103y
Rears 275/40 zr20 106y.
Thanks guys
Where in the Northeast? I'm in the Philadelphia area.

The PZero's were absolutely WORTHLESS in the winter. Literally a dusting of snow and the car could not move forward or backward. It was a joke. I got stuck in a driveway with a power coat on it and my girlfriend's family all had to push me out.

Fast forward a couple months and I put on a set of GMax all seasons. No issues. We had an 8 inch snowstorm and I cut uphill just fine. They work great FORWARD. They're directional tires, so there is no traction backing up, though.

Winter tires can't be driven on asphalt, so if you get them, you best be sure your roads stay snow covered the whole winter. If your roads are mostly bare asphalt but you get a couple storms like we do in Philly, all seasons are far superior IMO.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanian View Post
I have the general G max tires. They're considered all seasons but they're great in the snow. Ive gotten out of being plowed into a spot at work that was eight inches deep and at least two feet across.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yes. I was amazed how well they performed. And asphalt doesn't destroy them like winter tires. They are also the quietest tires I've owned, they have outstanding dry weather grip for an all season and they're substantially lighter than stock. I believe each GMax is 5-6 lbs lighter than the PZero's. I saved 30 lbs swapping from RS wheels and PZero's to the GMax's and FR ZL1 wheels.

I am so impressed with the GMax's they are all I'll ever put on this car. In fact, with any car I ever own they'll be my go to. These are what I recommend:

http://generaltire.com/tires/performance/g-max-as-03

They actually have a mileage warranty, too.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
How do the GMax do in summer for traction?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #8
chasmanian

They're still actually pretty good. Obviously they're not the p zeros but they're still pretty sticky.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
been through 4 NY winters, run blizzaks daily and they work great. They are not destroyed by bare payment, they work fine. I wouldn't run them in summer / high temperatures, but November - April is fine.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
How do the GMax do in summer for traction?
The roads in PA are horrible. Worst roads in any state I've ever been in, so to be fair, you never really get to "test them out" when you live on washboard roads around Philadelphia, one of the nation's oldest and most outdated cities (we have 11 feet wide lanes, no shoulders and potholes every dozen feet). That being said, I don't detect any difference VS the PZero's. This was my best no-compromise mod - no loss of dry performance (at least for what I do with the car), huge increases in wet and snow traction, they look better, the treadwear is literally double, they're a whole lot lighter...I couldn't recommend them more.

If you Auto-X your car or race it a lot, I can't say any all season will perform as well as a summer tire, but for my purposes it was a major, major upgrade.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
The roads in PA are horrible. Worst roads in any state I've ever been in, so to be fair, you never really get to "test them out" when you live on washboard roads around Philadelphia, one of the nation's oldest and most outdated cities (we have 11 feet wide lanes, no shoulders and potholes every dozen feet). That being said, I don't detect any difference VS the PZero's. This was my best no-compromise mod - no loss of dry performance (at least for what I do with the car), huge increases in wet and snow traction, they look better, the treadwear is literally double, they're a whole lot lighter...I couldn't recommend them more.

If you Auto-X your car or race it a lot, I can't say any all season will perform as well as a summer tire, but for my purposes it was a major, major upgrade.
I don't know man, I grew up in NJ, I think NJ, or at least parts of south jersey beat us PA people in shitty roads lol

You're right on the P-Zero's though, my God those things were horrendous with just a dusting.

I have Falken Pro G4 All Season's now, I want to see how they are in light snow, just picked up a cheap Saturn SC2 as a beater car but once it snows I might take the SS out just once to see how they perform.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
+1 on the gmax AS-03 tires, they were definitely a big, BIG upgrade next to the pirellis. Although, I may try to get a set of wheels with blizzaks on them
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #14
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
I don't know man, I grew up in NJ, I think NJ, or at least parts of south jersey beat us PA people in shitty roads lol

You're right on the P-Zero's though, my God those things were horrendous with just a dusting.

I have Falken Pro G4 All Season's now, I want to see how they are in light snow, just picked up a cheap Saturn SC2 as a beater car but once it snows I might take the SS out just once to see how they perform.
You live in Buck's County, man. Just take a ride down Bristol Pike! OMG.

You can tell how much better the DOT standards in NJ are than PA just by driving over one of the bridges. I spent the first 18 years of my life in NJ and I can tell you first hand the roads are paved totally differently (I worked a paving crew in NJ for a year). PA loves to put base concrete underneath their roads, then pave asphalt on top of it, so when it gets cold, the concrete underneath contracts at a totally different rate than the thin asphalt layer. The end result is spider cracking everywhere which collect water, then freeze overnight and split the roads in half.

NJ doesn't use base concrete. They use compacted subbase, considerable amounts of base asphalt and a 2" top of 9.5mm asphalt. The roads are also about 2 feet wider. They cost a lot more to pave roads in NJ and as a result, they last better. PA also uses this terrible asphalt mix called "superpave." Ugh, I could go on and on. This state.