Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
pears2

Drives: 2011 Black/Silver Synergy Series
Xzilon Application

Just purchased my new 2011 Camaro 2SS Synergy Series, black with silver stripes. Part of the warranty package was the Xzilon exterior and interior protection. I’ll be taking the car back to the dealership next week to have the Xzilon applied. Has anyone had firsthand experience with this product? Of course, the web site and the dealership only have great things to say about the product. Since it’s free, according to the dealership, I’m sure I paid for it as part of the sales price of the car, what are your firsthand experiences with this product. I have never had it applied to any of my vehicles. Thoughts???
pears2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears2 View Post
Just purchased my new 2011 Camaro 2SS Synergy Series, black with silver stripes. Part of the warranty package was the Xzilon exterior and interior protection. I’ll be taking the car back to the dealership next week to have the Xzilon applied. Has anyone had firsthand experience with this product? Of course, the web site and the dealership only have great things to say about the product. Since it’s free, according to the dealership, I’m sure I paid for it as part of the sales price of the car, what are your firsthand experiences with this product. I have never had it applied to any of my vehicles. Thoughts???

Id be very careful...alot of dealers have a "detail guy" that goes to town on cars with a thick wool pad to apply these products and leaves you with a severely swirled and hologrammed finish.
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
If I were you, I'd demand all my money back before they even touch your car next week. Here's why:

Your 2011 SS is already under warranty. There's no reason why you need a "warranty package" while the car is still under warranty. An extended warranty is something you can buy at any time, whether the car's got 36k miles, or 50k miles, or 100k miles. There are tons and tons of banks and insurers out there that sell extended warranties, often with better coverages, and substantially less cost. If you truly had concerns about the car, you could buy an aftermarket warranty when the car is going out of its factory warranty period. Wait until 2014, or if you rack up 36k miles before then. But there's absolutely no reason to pay for one now.

Your "warranty package" includes the application of "goo." Xzilon or any of the "paint sealers" or "interior protectants" are a nice way of selling you fancy Armor-all. The stuff is a polymer/wax like anything else you can buy over the counter at an auto parts store. I used to work for a car dealer, and applied the stuff. In reality, it's about $5 worth of materials cost and 1/2 hour of a detailer's time, or a little longer if they do a "good" job, like go to the effort of using a new applicator pad, or even in some cases, washing the car before they put it on....

Also, if they sold you gap insurance with your loan through the dealership, check in to the rate your insurance company will give you. I helped my sister buy a new Traverse earlier this year. The dealer quoted her $700 for 5 years worth of gap coverage. I had her call her insurance company (Safeco) and it was $7.00/year for gap coverage on her loan. The more you know...

FYI, warranties are refundable on a pro-rated basis in every state. And if they give you guff, just force the issue.

How much did you pay on top of the car's cost, anyway?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
pears2

Drives: 2011 Black/Silver Synergy Series
Thanks for all the information...The Xzlion application was part of the extended warranty package. I purchased an additional 60 month/40,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty after I reach the 3yr/36,000. All together I have 96 months and 75,000 mille bumper to bumper with a $50.00 co-payment after the 3/36 expires. I also have the 5/100,000 mile powertrain warranty from GM. It increased my monthly payment by $10.00 for the additional warranty package. I financed the car for 48 months ($480.00 for the extended warranty including the Xzilon interior and exterior package)
pears2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
I financed the car for 48 months ($480.00 for the extended warranty including the Xzilon interior and exterior package)
Thats how they worked it in... most dealers charge around $500 for it as a one time deal. Just make sure you read the fine print and don't buy into the "you never need to wash or wax your car" stuff. Often times its the sales guys who will 'oversell' what the actual product does. You will still need to maintain your car.

Generally the fine print requires you to return to the dealer for a new application at whatever interval. Failure to make it in by the schedule reapplication date voids the warranty on their end (though many times this is not disclosed) In a nutshell the product itself isn't worth $500... its a sealant, something you could buy a full bottle of for around $25 and apply yourself dozens of times and they're gonna have some $7 an hour porter in the back put it on.

The real value is in the warranty so long as they honor it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I love all the names dealers give these exotic products. Half of them you can't pronounce! How can you pronounce an X and Z together without spitting all over whoever you're talking to???
Old 04-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Duramac

Drives: 2015 SS Camaro
I had Xzilon applied to my Camaro 2 months after purchase. When I purchased the Camaro the original wax the used was great, after rain there was never water marks, no wiping off or anything. After the Xzilon coating the water marks were horrendous and very difficult to remove. As far as I'm concerned the product is a complete waste of time and money and in my case seems to make the paint more susceptible to marks. I went into the dealer and got "loud" in the showroom, got removed into an office and they refunded the full amount.
Work: DMax BLACK '05 LS CC LB, Banks Economind, IQ, Intake, SpeedBrake, Boost Tube, Monster Exhaust, AFE MP, Amsoil & Bypass, VHF Radio, Jotto Desk Laptop command center, Rescue Gear, Lotsa Flashy LED's, Shinny Decals, B&W Turn Over Ball & Companion, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Lift Bags
Play: 2015 2SS RS Camaro , 2014 36' Heartland Warrior Toy Hauler, 2014 Roadking, Kayaks

Duramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Duramac

Drives: 2015 SS Camaro
Update on xzilon. Crap mate. Got shit on by a pterodactyl and it took a cutting compound to get it off after 2 hours in the sun. Crap mate.
Work: DMax BLACK '05 LS CC LB, Banks Economind, IQ, Intake, SpeedBrake, Boost Tube, Monster Exhaust, AFE MP, Amsoil & Bypass, VHF Radio, Jotto Desk Laptop command center, Rescue Gear, Lotsa Flashy LED's, Shinny Decals, B&W Turn Over Ball & Companion, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Lift Bags
Play: 2015 2SS RS Camaro , 2014 36' Heartland Warrior Toy Hauler, 2014 Roadking, Kayaks

Duramac is offline   Reply With Quote