Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Zedder

Drives: 40 plus Camaros and counting!
Fish eyes and bubbles in black paint...

I looked closely at a black 2SS tonight at a local dealership and it had a number of fish eyes and small bubbles in the paint. I found at least 8 spots that I wouldn't be happy with and I didn't look for very long. I will say that the orange peel on this car was acceptable for a black car.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Hi Mark,

I can tell you that if the factory ever saw that, they'd never let it get out that way. They repair all paint defects before they let them out. What part of the car was it on?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Zedder

Driver's quarter right at the top seam with the trunk surround had the worst "void" - a round spot or crater with no paint. Hood had 2 spots, passenger door and fender had at least one each. I can't recall exactly where the others were...
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Zedder

Looks like more than a few got past QC Hylton

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29333
Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Mine has a few fish eyes .. not a big deal for me though ..

Crowley
Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
we have about 8-10 fisheyes on both front fenders, plan on seeing if they can wet sand them when the fix the peeling paint on the rear bumper (see other post)

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
JayhawkSS
Autobot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a few paint defects also but nothing that is to noticable. Maybe my first wax job with Zanio will help.
JayhawkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS View Post
I have a few paint defects also but nothing that is to noticable. Maybe my first wax job with Zanio will help.
I have a few as well, funny thing is I did not notice them till after the zaino.

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
I saw a vic red on a dealer floor last night that had some serious orange peel on the entire rear of the car, and trunk. I had to ask the dealer if they already did a 3m clear bra on the whole car already. They said nope, that's normal for the paint to look like that...
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
My car has a very consistent amount of orange peel on the whole car. A little orange peel is normal.. I wouldnt call my amount of orange peel excessive, but I did notice it pretty fast when first inspecting the car. If one body panel was worse than another I would have pointed it out, but like i said, it was very consistent. I guess that was within specs at the factory.

It looks good from where im sittin in the driver's seat though!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 AM   #11
CGM DIVA

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
My car has a very consistent amount of orange peel on the whole car. A little orange peel is normal.. I wouldnt call my amount of orange peel excessive, but I did notice it pretty fast when first inspecting the car. If one body panel was worse than another I would have pointed it out, but like i said, it was very consistent. I guess that was within specs at the factory.
Pardon my ignorance, but I am a newbie.... I have been looking at the different threads and learning a ton about camaros...I am very excited about it all my question is , what is orange peel, and can it be fixed if i should happen to have it on my camaro when I get it?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #12
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
CGM Diva,

Welcome to the board, have you ordered or gotten your car yet? Orange peel looks wavy, the paint reflects light a little odd,( also looks like the surface of an orange) there are some pictures on here, try a search. they say all GM cars have it, there are pics on here of a black BMW M3 that has it. People say it happens to mass producted cars.Ours has it a little. I never saw it on my S2000, but it was silver, it seems to be more noticable on the darker colors, my S2000 looked awesome, but it also had some metallic in the silver so maybe that hides orange peel? my 0.02

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Orange peel also looks pitted across the surface. Kinda like pores on your skin. It happens when the paint is really thin or has too many micro bubbles and bakes too hot, too fast. Those micro bubbles pop when it bakes, leaving a microscopic crater on the surface. Compound that by a million, and thats what orange peel looks like. Its not so bad when the whole car has it, but when its present in small spots around the car, it can be quite detracting.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Orange peel happens during mass production because they use essentially a large convection oven to "bake" the paint to make it cure faster as opposed to leaving it to cure over the timeframe of a few days or weeks.

Those who have complained insesently about the amout of orange peel on their cars... were probably also the ones complaining about why it was taking so long for their cars to be delivered. If you want your car faster, dont complain when they get a little orange peel in the paint so they can get it out to quicker!

So CGM Diva, orange peel is a neccesary evil when it comes to mass produced cars. If you were to look closely at the paint of a new camaro and find a reflection from something in the background (lets say the trees and sky behind the car), orange peel will cause the reflection to look "wavy" and distorted. Some describe their orange peel as excessive and curse GM for lousy quality control. But a certain amount of orange peel is very normal.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote