Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > UK

Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
scites

Drives: 2010 camaro SS/RS
Any 5th gen camaros in the UK?

Hey guys or gals, Im looking for people that Have 5th gen camaros in the UK. I have orders to england and want to bring the camaro. the question is what did you guys do so your lights would pass the MOT/Inspection?
scites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
You might want to also post in this section http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
There are British service stations that will adjust an American spec vehicle to pass inspection in the UK. For my truck/SUV they had to adjust the headlights (if they can't adjust it they have this black tape that they can use on the headlight to fix it), your side markers need to be converted as a turn signal and they will need to put a fog light in the rear of your vehicle which will have a toggle switch. You can let them know where you want the toggle switch. It cost a pretty penny but it's well worth it. Ask around in your unit before you PSC. They can send you in the right direction.

On a side note, if it were me, I would NOT bring my Camaro to the UK. The roads are really narrow, there are many tractor trailers on the road and that makes the roads really uneven and bumpy. If you decide not to take your Camaro, people are PCSing and usually sell their UK spec vehicle for cheap! I mean dirt cheap. I knew people giving them away. Again, ask at your unit level. I did two tours in the UK (RAF Lakenheath & RAF Mildenhall). The first tour, my husband brought his '67 Chevelle. He barely drove it. When we received orders back to the UK, we kept it in the US in storage.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
You sure you want to bring an SS to the UK with gas costing $10 gallon?
You will be sharing the road with diesel micro-cars. Making right turns at intersections (junctions) will also be difficult.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
You sure you want to bring an SS to the UK with gas costing $10 gallon?
You will be sharing the road with diesel micro-cars. Making right turns at intersections (junctions) will also be difficult.
this is easily fixed by more throttle!!!
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
scites

I was stationed in the UK from 2000 to 2006 and drove a 2000 camaro with no problems..gas isnt a problem as i will be getting it on base at US prices. im wanting to convert it myself. Im going to use one of the reverse lights as the rear fog and wire it up to a toggle along with my from fog lights. i can also convert the side markers into turns no problem. but the rear turn signals are red and from what i remember they had to be amber..what are you guys doing for rear turn signals?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
jules1200

Drives: Delorean DMC12, Camaro SS
I have just bought one (3 weeks ago) awesome. Obviously, it goes without saying, we drive on the opposite side, but you will get used to it, no problem. You could say it's just as strange for us the other way round, if you will, as I am driving a vehicle with the steering wheel, on the 'wrong side' & changing gear with the opposite hand, something you will be used to. I was already used to the left hand drive before buying my Camaro, as I own a Delorean & have had it for about 7 yrs. so was'nt so bad when I got mine.
I have a 5 series BMW & in all honesty the Camaro is not much larger than that, only a little wider, no larger anywhere else.
Bring it over, you will love it. They are quite rare here & it does attract attention, in a good way though.
The SVA test is really simply, you just need a rear fog lamp & side repeaters for the indicators. I think some use the side marker lamps for these by just connecting to the indicator feed.
Cheers Julian
jules1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
scites

Hey guys, with the MOT/emissions testing is anyone passing the mot with a cam and bolt ons? Im going to cam and stall my car or get a procharger before i ship it over..
Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
RickGM

Drives: 2013 SS V8 L99 Magnusson Heartbeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Making right turns at intersections (junctions) will also be difficult.
I haven't had a problem with that (or with the size). The only real issue I have is exiting t-junctions that are acute rather than at 90°. In these situations you have to try and look thru the rear 1/4 window - almost impossible. If you know the road just approach the junction as square as possible.
Also need to take more care when joining a roundabout - I find the windscreen post and passenger side mirror restricts the view.

Bring it over and enjoy the admiration of Joe public.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGM View Post
I haven't had a problem with that (or with the size). The only real issue I have is exiting t-junctions that are acute rather than at 90°. In these situations you have to try and look thru the rear 1/4 window - almost impossible. If you know the road just approach the junction as square as possible.
Also need to take more care when joining a roundabout - I find the windscreen post and passenger side mirror restricts the view.

Bring it over and enjoy the admiration of Joe public.
RickGM is bang on correct there.

I have the right side wing mirror slightly tilted down, if I can see the white road lines, I'm OK for position to the Right too.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
DNAudus

Drives: Bumblebee Camaro SS
Hi Scites,

The Camaro5 is obviously larger than the average British car, but it will still fit in most spaces and once you get your placement on the road sorted you can go down the smallest and twistiest B-roads with a decent amount of confidence. Some city centre multi-story car parks are too tight to get into and some width restrictors in London (in particular) are too small, but it very rarely causes much hassle.

Regarding the rear indicators, I've seen some people with clear or orange lights on the back (which I'm not too keen on, sorry guys) but mine are just the standard red lenses. The inner two lights are indicators only and the outer two lights are for brakes and... lights.

Some SVA centres might make you disconnect the front daytime driving lights (as mine were) but I've seen some new Mitsubishi's with the front fogs used for daytime driving lights so you could argue the point.

Further more, bringing a Camaro into the UK is an awesome idea, you'll end up with a car that's rarer than a Ferrari 458 or Lamborghini Gallardo - I had mine parked in Mayfair recently and people we're taking pics of the Camaro rather than the £200,000 supercars parked next to it :-)

You can see the lights look standard on the back of my car apart from the rear fog in place of a reversing light - I have a switch in a discrete position on the dashboard to operate it.
Attached Images

DNAudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
DNAudus

Drives: Bumblebee Camaro SS
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that I've just got light orange bulbs behind the red lenses; they produce a light amber enough to pass the SVA and subsequent MoT's.

Cheers,
Damian.
DNAudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAudus View Post
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that I've just got light orange bulbs behind the red lenses; they produce a light amber enough to pass the SVA and subsequent MoT's.

Cheers,
Damian.
Agree with you on the rear lights. I have light orange lenses on the outside pair, and it looks naff compared to your originals. Doubly annoying, as the RS package, I have, adds the darker lenses.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
scites

thanks guys..