Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
tireslayer0331

Drives: 2016 2SS
2017 ZL1 axles on 2016/17 SS

I am installing my procharger system on my car in coming weeks and keep thinking of which mods I would like to add to support the additional power. I know that I will need to upgrade my drivetrain soon if I want to do any kind of launches. The aftermarket options are very expensive as we all know and are overspec for the kinds of power that I aim for in my build(not going much over 600whp for now); I have no problem dishing out the extra cash for the axles available from DSS or gforce if there are no other options. Has anyone looked into ordering the axles from the ZL1 or know anything regarding the quality of the stock ZL1 drivetrain parts? I hope they become available as a cheap yet reliable alternative to some of the more expensive offerings out there.
tireslayer0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I thought they wouldn't work because the E-Diff housing is wider and the axles are thus shorter?

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
tireslayer0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHill View Post
I thought they wouldn't work because the E-Diff housing is wider and the axles are thus shorter?
Thanks for the input, this is why I asked! I wasn't sure if anyone had really looked into it yet. As far as I can see they aren't for sale from any GM parts site yet.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
LesBaer
FMPG

I think you're going to need the entire assembly and not just half shafts. I looked into this a while back and was told that the spline is different between the two cars. So if you go with the ZL1 parts, it's going to cost twice as much as just ordering the aftermarket stuff. The stock SS axles are a lot stronger than you think. I've read that they've been able to handle over 700rwhp but I'm not sure if that's with drag radials or what kind of tires.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
tireslayer0331

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I think you're going to need the entire assembly and not just half shafts. I looked into this a while back and was told that the spline is different between the two cars. So if you go with the ZL1 parts, it's going to cost twice as much as just ordering the aftermarket stuff. The stock SS axles are a lot stronger than you think. I've read that they've been able to handle over 700rwhp but I'm not sure if that's with drag radials or what kind of tires.
Thanks for the input, I just saw your post on another thread about the stock axles handling some decent power levels which put my mind at ease! I think I will test the waters for now and avoid sticky tires and launching. I get my car tuned tomorrow and should be putting down about 600hp as of now so I'm not too worried. When I eventually want more is when I will need to consider another setup. Off-topic but I see you live in the people's republic of Connecticut also, are you close to Stamford? I want to know where some good car meets are in my area as I just moved back to CT.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I'm putting down almost 544/559, I launched my car a bunch of times at the track and the axles are holding up just fine so far. I'm running slicks instead of drag radials and there is a reason for that. They don't hit the drive train as hard as a drag radial since they side wall wrinkles as the car launches. I will have about 600 rwhp once I retune and start running VP109 so the slicks will be more important then ever.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #7
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Is your car M6 or A8? Going to use sticky tires, not the stock ones?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireslayer0331 View Post
Thanks for the input, I just saw your post on another thread about the stock axles handling some decent power levels which put my mind at ease! I think I will test the waters for now and avoid sticky tires and launching. I get my car tuned tomorrow and should be putting down about 600hp as of now so I'm not too worried. When I eventually want more is when I will need to consider another setup. Off-topic but I see you live in the people's republic of Connecticut also, are you close to Stamford? I want to know where some good car meets are in my area as I just moved back to CT.
You know I completely forgot about the ELSD being in the ZL1. I'm not sure we can even do a switch of the entire thing. I'm going to call around today and see if anyone's done anything like this using a 5th gen ZL1 diff or something aftermarket. We should be fine for the short term but over time it's going to start taking its toll on the stock axles, driveshaft and diff. I'm going to be running DR's full time on the road and driving back and forth to the track, so I think it's got to be addressed.

So far no car meets or anything but there's a thread for CT Camaro guys on the 5th gen board: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...3&goto=newpost

I used to live in Stamford for a while and am still close by if you ever want to get together...and it's the Governor's Republic. The people don't get any real say unless they agree with him LOL!
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Gforce 9 inch and Level 5 HalfShafts should hold up fine for you

You should you fine on your stockers unless you get a bunch of wheel hop.
Attached Images

Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
tireslayer0331

Quote:
You know I completely forgot about the ELSD being in the ZL1. I'm not sure we can even do a switch of the entire thing. I'm going to call around today and see if anyone's done anything like this using a 5th gen ZL1 diff or something aftermarket. We should be fine for the short term but over time it's going to start taking its toll on the stock axles, driveshaft and diff. I'm going to be running DR's full time on the road and driving back and forth to the track, so I think it's got to be addressed.

So far no car meets or anything but there's a thread for CT Camaro guys on the 5th gen board: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...3&goto=newpost

I used to live in Stamford for a while and am still close by if you ever want to get together...and it's the Governor's Republic. The people don't get any real say unless they agree with him LOL!
Let us know how your research goes. It would be nice to find an affordable option for a strong drivetrain. I don't plan to track my car except maybe the odd run or two so I'll see what my needs become in the future. Can't hurt to strengthen the components though. I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it!

I'll check out the CT thread, I haven't really explored Camaro5 much yet hence not finding it. The only "local" car meet I go to every once in a while is the one at Bear Mountain in the summer, there are always some nice rides there; it would be nice to have something a little more local as I know there are a ton of car guys in our area. Which track do you go to around here?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdieu View Post
Gforce 9 inch and Level 5 HalfShafts should hold up fine for you

You should you fine on your stockers unless you get a bunch of wheel hop.
Ahhh, you're the guy with the Gforce prototype in testing he was telling me about! There's more than 1 out there in the field being tested now but he was telling about their engineer coming to work with you this weekend. That's great, thank you for doing this...it helps us all

Gforce also told me it should be ready for production in about a month. You won't be able to use the same driveshaft and axles though that fit the stock rear, so I'm going to wait for the 9" kit to come out. Gforce will be also be releasing their carbon fiber drive shaft for the 9" kit around the same time and I was told it will be around 7lbs. lighter than their competition's.

Keep us posted on your testing if you don't mind. I'll try to take it easy until I know they're almost ready

I haven't been able to find out too many details on the GM solution for using a 5th gen ZL1 rear diff on the 6th gen SS other than the GM video on Youtube from Sema. What I was told though is that it's close but not a direct fit. The front bracket is about 1/2" off and needs to be moved. There are few shops that fabricated some one-off solutions for customers, but I think we're much better off waiting for a true 9" kit to become commercially available rather trying this on our own. Gforce seems like they're very focused on getting this done and done right for the gen6 SS.

The DSS 9" kit still seems like it's in testing as well. They were the first to try this on the gen6 but I got the impression that they're not as close to a finished product and priorities have shifted to other cars since the initial prototype install we saw in Hot Rod Magazine. I want to be clear though that those exact words were not spoken to me, but it's easy to read between the lines. They didn't have an ETA on commercial availability either, but they could do something custom if you purchase the gen5 9" kit from their website.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
Quote:
Ahhh, you're the guy with the Gforce prototype in testing he was telling me about! There's more than 1 out there in the field being tested now but he was telling about their engineer coming to work with you this weekend. That's great, thank you for doing this...it helps us all

Gforce also told me it should be ready for production in about a month. You won't be able to use the same driveshaft and axles though that fit the stock rear, so I'm going to wait for the 9" kit to come out. Gforce will be also be releasing their carbon fiber drive shaft for the 9" kit around the same time and I was told it will be around 7lbs. lighter than their competition's.

Keep us posted on your testing if you don't mind. I'll try to take it easy until I know they're almost ready

I haven't been able to find out too many details on the GM solution for using a 5th gen ZL1 rear diff on the 6th gen SS other than the GM video on Youtube from Sema. What I was told though is that it's close but not a direct fit. The front bracket is about 1/2" off and needs to be moved. There are few shops that fabricated some one-off solutions for customers, but I think we're much better off waiting for a true 9" kit to become commercially available rather trying this on our own. Gforce seems like they're very focused on getting this done and done right for the gen6 SS.

The DSS 9" kit still seems like it's in testing as well. They were the first to try this on the gen6 but I got the impression that they're not as close to a finished product and priorities have shifted to other cars since the initial prototype install we saw in Hot Rod Magazine. I want to be clear though that those exact words were not spoken to me, but it's easy to read between the lines. They didn't have an ETA on commercial availability either, but they could do something custom if you purchase the gen5 9" kit from their website.

haha yes Chris is coming up to drink a few cold ones and just kick back. The car is at ProCharger getting a F1A set up put on so testing will be a little while longer.

Gforce 9" package will be the center section/ halfshafts and a DS. Once we get mine in they will measure for the drive shaft and it will be a plug and play kit.

As for the other brand I don't know anything about it. I'm a Gforce guy only.. I've know Chris since the beginning back when I was playing with GTO's and he was just getting started in his home garage.
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdieu View Post
haha yes Chris is coming up to drink a few cold ones and just kick back. The car is at ProCharger getting a F1A set up put on so testing will be a little while longer.

Gforce 9" package will be the center section/ halfshafts and a DS. Once we get mine in they will measure for the drive shaft and it will be a plug and play kit.

As for the other brand I don't know anything about it. I'm a Gforce guy only.. I've know Chris since the beginning back when I was playing with GTO's and he was just getting started in his home garage.
That's great! This will be my first one and I'm going to do the same thing. I just have to survive stock until then. There's no way that I'm going to be able to keep myself from doing a few "test" launches on my new ET Street DR's once it warms up though lol. I still haven't even been able to do too much in 1st and 2nd gear since all the major work was done, so I'm dying to have some fun with it.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #14
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
The SEMA "Drag Pack" cars had a hybrid 6th/5th Gen ZL1 setup that Chevy claimed they had not broken at the 600hp level. Looking at the parts list, appears they used ZL1 driveshaft & half-shafts.

https://theblock.com/news/sema-2016-...opment-concept

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...1031-copo.html
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axles, boost, supercharger, zl1