Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: If you own a 1LE do you track (road course) it?
Yes 52 61.90%
No 24 28.57%
Drag strip mostly 6 7.14%
I bought it because I'm a collector 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
69Tom

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
I hope to one of these days. Most likely when I move back westward, however....
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Apparently money is no object to you two. Everyone would check every box on an options sheet if money weren't a factor. For $3,500 more, the 1LE is probably a good valued package but certainly not necessary compared to the standard SS. In fact, most of the differences are aesthetic rather than completely functional with only one reasonably useful performance difference.

If I had that money, sure, but 3.5k now is a 10k down payment on my next car if invested properly.
No, I would not check every box. I checked 2, the 1LE package, and the B/A Speaker system. I had no need for a camera, nor the RS package. I might have liked leather, and some of the other parts of the 2SS package, but it was the same $3500 that the 1LE package was, so I made a choice.

Oh, and when you get a moment, please let me know which features of that package are not functional. Here is a little write up to make it easier for you:

The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.

For 2013, the 1LE package is offered only on 1SS and 2SS coupe models, featuring a 6.2L LS3 V-8, which is rated at 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb-ft of torque (569 Nm). In addition, 1LE is only available with a six-speed manual transmission.

While the Camaro SS features a Tremec TR6060-M10 for all-around performance, the Camaro 1LE features an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.

The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.

Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
Higher-capacity rear-axle half shafts to cope with increased levels of traction
Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 11-inch aluminum wheels
285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-cornering

Visually, the 1LE package for 2013 is distinguished by its matte-black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.

Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded microfiber.

Maybe the suede covered wheel or gear shift? Maybe the matte black hood? I could almost give you those, but according to GM, thats not the case. If you are right, I think it is awesome that a bunch of cosmetic changes can make a car 8 sec per lap faster around VIR! Imagine what a pair of fuzzy dice might be worth? 2 more seconds maybe? Cool!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
If you guys have any vids that would be awesome.
How do you guys do against the competition, M3, Corvettes, 5.0, Boss, Evo, STi, s2000, the usual cars getting tracked?
This is an almost un-answerable question. The problem with this is that at the enthusiast level, and even to a large degree at the amateur racing level, it has so little to do with the car and so very much to do with the driver.

Doug Hayashi, famous blogger of The NSX Files, has plenty of videos of him absolutely walking away from prepped Ferrari 360 Modena's, some Challenge Stradales, a 355 Challenge or two, and in one vid, he hangs with an F50 .... this, all from the seat of a completely stock (except for pads/rotors) Honda S2000.

I was at a BMW CCA event at Limerock where a guy showed up in a brand new Corvette Z06 (still had temp tags). He should have demolished all but two cars on the field that day and in the right hands, that car would have laid down the fastest lap of the day ... but I lapped him three times in a single 20 minute session and I don't think he passed anyone (it was obviously his first time on track).

Sabine Schmitz is the famous for being the driver of the M5 Ring Taxi. You can (or at least used to be able to) pay for a lap around the Nurburgring as a passenger in her track-prepped BMW M5. She is a part-time racer and full-time badass behind the wheel. Here's a video of her piloting a Ford Transit van around the Ring for a Top Gear contest. She runs a lap of the ring in just over 10 minutes in a 130HP van on light-truck tires. I would venture to guess that the majority of 1LE owners would not be able to match her time in their 1LEs.

So for anyone on here to say that they are faster on the track than (insert your favorite car here), would say more about both drivers than it does about both cars. The only way to really identify the differences in lap times between two competing cars is to get a very good driver to drive both back to back.

Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I AUTO X AND TRACK X ON A REGULAR BASIS, 3500MI AND NEED NEW RUBBER.....1LE REALLY STICKS IT TO MY COMPETITION, I RUN STU, STREET TOURING CLASS AND RUN WITH MODIFIED BMW M3'S AND SUBARU'S....
What is your set up for STU. I have not kept up with that class but it used to me limited to 275mm tires, which sucks.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I haven't had the chance to take mine out on the track but I hope to this summer!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Apparently money is no object to you two. Everyone would check every box on an options sheet if money weren't a factor. For $3,500 more, the 1LE is probably a good valued package but certainly not necessary compared to the standard SS. In fact, most of the differences are aesthetic rather than completely functional with only one reasonably useful performance difference.

If I had that money, sure, but 3.5k now is a 10k down payment on my next car if invested properly.
I guess it depends on what you want to do with your car. I purchased my car for an autocross/track day toy that I will drive on the street from time
to time. I would be hard pressed to take $3500 in aftermarket suspension parts and make a standard SS handle like a 1LE considering shocks, sway bar, tires and wheels. That's not even taking in consideration the gearing of the 1LE's transmission, and the rear end that help the 1LE out perform a regular SS on the road course. HID's, leather, and a nice stereo are great, but for me, not needed for what I want to do with my car. There is so much more to this car then just looks, the looks are just a bonus. To each their own I guess.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #21
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
I track the shit out of my car... billy has it right i mean the cars i pass on track is crazy i caught a gt3 and a gtr in the turns the car that i had the hardest time catching was an s2k i did run a better time than him but it was fun running someone with similar talent
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I have been to a track once or twice
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
I bought the car strictly for running at the track. All I'm replacing on it is pads, tires and fluids as they wear out. Going to Watkin's Glen next week. Can't wait.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #24
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
Waiting for my helmet to come in the mail.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM   #25
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Went to my first HPDE event this month and will be going back in September.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Kado047

Drives: VW... soon to be a 1LE
Taking mine to Gingerman in Western Michigan tomorrow... They posted a picture is twin Z/28's yesterday... I can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kado047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #27
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
If you guys have any vids that would be awesome.
How do you guys do against the competition, M3, Corvettes, 5.0, Boss, Evo, STi, s2000, the usual cars getting tracked?
Watch Cornerspeed's videos on YouTube. You can also look for mine there too. Talk to DropSpeed as well. And find OrangeCrush. There are several people in the Bay Area with 1LE's and Camaros who track them.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #28
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
I bought the car strictly for running at the track. All I'm replacing on it is pads, tires and fluids as they wear out. Going to Watkin's Glen next week. Can't wait.
what pads are you putting on it? Stock?
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote