Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Fatal Ty

Drives: 1992 LS3 Typhoon
HP, Boost, and RPM ?

I am trying to figure out the best pulley option for my build and would like to tap into everyone’s knowledge and experience. I did a ton of research and built my engine to handle a lot of power and run 8k RPM. I have a Maggie TVS 2300 and am trying to understand if I will make more power with a large pulley and more RPM or a small pulley and less RPM. I will have an aggressive IC cooling system.
Fatal Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal Ty View Post
I am trying to figure out the best pulley option for my build and would like to tap into everyone’s knowledge and experience. I did a ton of research and built my engine to handle a lot of power and run 8k RPM. I have a Maggie TVS 2300 and am trying to understand if I will make more power with a large pulley and more RPM or a small pulley and less RPM. I will have an aggressive IC cooling system.
Keep in mind it is a Positive displacement supercharger so the RPM is spins determine how much air it will move.

What size engine do you have?

How much power are you trying to make?

What fuel will you be burning?

What fuel system and injectors are you running?
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Fatal Ty

Yes, thank you. My last car was an Eaton 03 Cobra. Ran 10.59 in the 1/4 and my best results were high boost with lower RPM. This build is different and the TVS is much more effecient than the Eaton.

It is a new LS3 - TVS2300, LSA crank, Manley rods, Wiseco pistons, ported heads and intake, aftermarket valve train, etc.. I am going to run E85 with either ID1050’s or ID1300’s.

My goal is 700-750 AWHP with good drivability.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Yes, thank you. My last car was an Eaton 03 Cobra. Ran 10.59 in the 1/4 and my best results were high boost with lower RPM. This build is different and the TVS is much more effecient than the Eaton.

It is a new LS3 - TVS2300, LSA crank, Manley rods, Wiseco pistons, ported heads and intake, aftermarket valve train, etc.. I am going to run E85 with either ID1050’s or ID1300’s.

My goal is 700-750 AWHP with good drivability.
I have pushed the Magnuson TVS 2300 pretty hard and it took a lot of modification to get it to 750 RWHP

It will take a 10 rib drive system, an Overdrive cog on the back, 102 TB, and a plenum spacer to move that much air then you have to deal with the very high IAT due to the very small intercooler inside the blower manifold which is a restriction in and of itself.

We pushed the Maggie to 9.80s in a full weight 2SS camaro.

With a built motor you would be better off moving to a larger blower like the Whipple 2.9. then 800+ will be easy.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Fatal Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I have pushed the Magnuson TVS 2300 pretty hard and it took a lot of modification to get it to 750 RWHP

It will take a 10 rib drive system, an Overdrive cog on the back, 102 TB, and a plenum spacer to move that much air then you have to deal with the very high IAT due to the very small intercooler inside the blower manifold which is a restriction in and of itself.

We pushed the Maggie to 9.80s in a full weight 2SS camaro.

With a built motor you would be better off moving to a larger blower like the Whipple 2.9. then 800+ will be easy.
Thank you for the info!!! On the inlet side I have a NW 102mm TB, 10 rib kit, OD rear COG, 10% OD dampener, blower spacer, ported tub, and ported heads. I was hoping someone would release a larger IC option. For now I am planning a trunk mounted ice box and push as much water through the IC system that I can. I don’t like the idea of not know my IAT2’s so I may need to mount a stand-alone sensor/gauge after the manifold IC.

Sounds like aggressive pulley set up and lower RPM should be my plan.

Down the road I may look into a larger blower or a small shot. I am curious if someone will introduce the TVS 2650 for the LS3. I am a fan of the (4) lobe rotors.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
You headed in the right direction. Your boost number will not be as high but you'll extend the blower rpm range. It's a boost psi vs. flow question. It's amazing that you'll have a 8k motor on the street.
If the blower itself was large for the application this would work out well and keep the motor out of surge down low.
So with that said it will depend on how much your blower has in reserve.
I see you have good rods if forged but when moving the rpm range to 8k then the stress is more squarely placed on caps and bolts. Bolt upgrades are mandatory.
I think you have but didn't see any reference .
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thank you for the info!!! On the inlet side I have a NW 102mm TB, 10 rib kit, OD rear COG, 10% OD dampener, blower spacer, ported tub, and ported heads. I was hoping someone would release a larger IC option. For now I am planning a trunk mounted ice box and push as much water through the IC system that I can. I don’t like the idea of not know my IAT2’s so I may need to mount a stand-alone sensor/gauge after the manifold IC.

Sounds like aggressive pulley set up and lower RPM should be my plan.

Down the road I may look into a larger blower or a small shot. I am curious if someone will introduce the TVS 2650 for the LS3. I am a fan of the (4) lobe rotors.
You will see a 2650 version from Magnuson, Edelbrock, Harrop, that I know of.

Whipple also has a new generation of blower hitting the market soon.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
Fatal Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You will see a 2650 version from Magnuson, Edelbrock, Harrop, that I know of.

Whipple also has a new generation of blower hitting the market soon.
That is great news, thank you!