Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2021, 01:18 AM   #1
Shayne70

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Chevy Camaro
Spark Plug 3 misfire ONLY when engine is hot

First off I changed all my spark plugs/wires and spark plug 3 coil as well twice.

My car runs fine when I first turn it on and it sounds perfect BUT when I drive it for over 10 miles or so spark plug 3 completely misses. I plugged my car in and it shows spark plug 3 completely misses. I'm practically running on 7 cylinders. I did delete the code.

I have a manual 2010, 80k miles SS.

Does anyone have any pointers or quick things to look at??? Thank you for the help. I am going to take it into the shop next week Wednesday to run some tests but I have no clue how much that is going to cost. T

Thank you for the help.
Shayne70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:50 AM   #2
Greg P

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Red Jewel Tint
Try swapping the coil to a different location and see if the misfire stays on #3 or moves to the new location.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Is the plug wet with fuel after its been running awhile?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:59 AM   #4
Shayne70

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Is the plug wet with fuel after its been running awhile?
No the plug is dry and there is no build up of any kind.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:00 AM   #5
Shayne70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Try swapping the coil to a different location and see if the misfire stays on #3 or moves to the new location.
I changed the coil twice and I am getting the same issue. This is the third coil I am using.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
DB Cooper

Drives: 2010SS
With the engine cold, check the resistance across that injector and another one that's known good. Then warm the motor up till it starts missing, and check that injector again. If the resistance is changing a lot more than the good injector next to it, that points you in a direction. Or maybe try applying 5v across that injector while hot, and see if you can hear it click. If you try that, don't mass dump the whole fuel rail into the cylinder though. Just a quick touch. Injectors can act funny when hot, similar to the way coils can.

The fact that it's running nice when it's not warmed up strongly suggests it's not a valvetrain issue. And the fact that the plug isn't wet suggests it's probably not a spark issue. Another sign that would point to either fuel or spark would be whether the exhaust smells like raw fuel while it's missing. If not, you're probably getting spark, but no fuel to that cylinder.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I have never swapped injectors around myself so I don't know if its a pain but it would tell you something fairly quickly.
Either mechanical or electrical.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
Compression test on the misfiring cylinder and one next to it...fingers crossed.
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
11-Camaro

Drives: 11 Camaro SS, Ninja 1000, Santa Fe
Are you running a 2 step? Mine (Lingenfelter) went bad and I had this issue on several plugs. I replaced wires, plugs, coils and still had the issue. Could have saved a ton of money just unplugging it and plugging back directly to the coils to test. I finally did that and what do you know, my problems went away.
11 Camaro TT SS. 14 1LE motor, full coilover, CNC ported LSA heads, stainless valves, dual springs, Comp 224 cam, Melling oil pump, AGP Garrett GTX30r's, 1400cc injectors, full 3" Magnaflow, dual Walbro 450lph fuel pump, ZL1 6L90 trans, trans cooler, Circle-D 3600, 3.91:1 Eaton Truetrac, line lock, Lingenfelter 2 step. Current boost - e85 814 RWHP.
11-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote