Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
houtx

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Is this repair estimate reasonable?

My 11 SS was having issues such as misfiring. Results came out to be bad piston rings. I want to know if the following estimate is reasonable or not. Work is being done by pretty famous LS shop where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #2
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Are you in Houston? I bet they find a lot more wrong when they get in there. Be ready for $6-$8k by the time it's over. And what shop. Mines been at a few here in town. There are a couple "famous" shops here I would never take my car to again

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
houtx

Yes I am in Houston. They are already in it. Have the motor disassembled. Can you pm those shops u wouldnt use and the one u would.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Why are they putting those springs in without even replacing the cam?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Seriously?!?! puttin those springs on a stock cam/lifters? wheres the push rods since your in it...gotta be a cam/lifter upgrade in there...come on.....gonna do a trunnion upgrade? bronze baby...only way to good....go luck....

Last edited by frankwjr; 01-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
frankwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
94z28inok
Camaro- Life Member

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS/RS, 19 Tahoe
Send a message via Yahoo to 94z28inok
6 hours to pull, 8 hours to put back? Personally I would expect around half that price for just a clean, bearing replacement, and gasket job. Maybe things are just cheaper in the middle of the country but damn. Itemizing gaskets, why not just buy a set? Or a rebuild kit with the gaskets and common bolts that have to be replaced? itemizing different steps of the rebuild process on top of "the actual rebuild" process. Maybe thats just how its done around there, but sounds like some of the work is duplicated with different definitions to add up the $$$$. Hope its got a sweet warranty and everything comes out great. I just couldn't see that kind of money for what theyre doing with it.

And over $100 for basically an oil change? You can get 10 quarts of mobile one and an AC filter at wal mart for about $60.

This, to me, is like an over-priced, over-complicated tire monitor replacement

Think of it like this --

Pull car in shop and put on lift - $24
Remove lugnuts from wheel - $7
Remove wheel from hub and set on tire machine - $9
Remove valve core - $2
Dismount tire from wheel and remove tire monitor - $18
Tire monitor #189234395 $187
Add tire monitor to wheel and tire assembly $4

You see where Im going with that.... although the tire scenario is more exagerated, its what I see looking at their estimate, as a mechanic myself.
91 Camaro RS 305 TBI 700R4
85 Corvette - TBD
05 Envoy 4.2 4x4

Last edited by 94z28inok; 01-25-2017 at 05:56 PM.
94z28inok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #7
houtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
Why are they putting those springs in without even replacing the cam?
They didn't tell me the cams need to be replaced but now I am thinking to just go ahead and get a cam package too.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
houtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94z28inok View Post
6 hours to pull, 8 hours to put back? Personally I would expect around half that price for just a clean, bearing replacement, and gasket job. Maybe things are just cheaper in the middle of the country but damn. Itemizing gaskets, why not just buy a set? Or a rebuild kit with the gaskets and common bolts that have to be replaced? itemizing different steps of the rebuild process on top of "the actual rebuild" process. Maybe thats just how its done around there, but sounds like some of the work is duplicated with different definitions to add up the $$$$. Hope its got a sweet warranty and everything comes out great. I just couldn't see that kind of money for what theyre doing with it.
Would you mind telling me where I might be able to buy the gasket kit?
Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
94z28inok
Camaro- Life Member

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS/RS, 19 Tahoe
Send a message via Yahoo to 94z28inok
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtx View Post
Would you mind telling me where I might be able to buy the gasket kit?
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4272-t...build-kit.aspx

No experience with this company personally, just a 2 second google result of LS3 complete gasket set.
91 Camaro RS 305 TBI 700R4
85 Corvette - TBD
05 Envoy 4.2 4x4
94z28inok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
prod

Drives: HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtx View Post
They didn't tell me the cams need to be replaced but now I am thinking to just go ahead and get a cam package too.
Yup. Getting a big repair bill sucks, but you can turn this into an opportunity for a significant upgrade. You will feel better about the whole mess.
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
While the engine is out, see if they can throw in one of these instead (LS9 Supercharged).

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
They should check the cylinder bores and maybe hone also the cylinders depending on mileage, to which our blocks with their cast in bores can only be over honed .020. Also wheres the cost for the new TTY torque to yield head bolts? etc....

The estimate seems good, but add in the need for new lifters, lifter baskets if not reusing the stock cam which had better be in excellent shape along with the lifters matched to the exact bore they came out of, as they have cam bearings on there also and you have .660 springs, and what about pushrods..if your changing cams that would be needed along with a retune of the car for $ specifically on a dyno, then there is the upgrades you could do to the timing chain, the oil pump, and I guess reuse your retainers, and a break in would be nice with a VR1 high zddp oil then after driving for like 3 thousand miles dumping it before going to Mobil one, or better like LS30 for a cammed LS engine, and what about a break in oil for the break in of the engine/ cam like BR30 , and the cost of a cam if upgrading....

IN other words lots of questions and after tear down is when you know the diagnosis as opinions are like............ everyone has one, you could just have a bad injector or cracked plug, bad wire, etc........

And if your going cammed I would recommend the tr6ix, and a 160 degree thermostat with change in the tune for lower fan settings along with other things like ditching torque management, etc..... And you only have one cam and a 8620 core would be recommended, and what kind of cam you want, how high of lift make a big difference in the stresses on the engine, the longevity of the springs and matching them to the cam..... So yup lots of questions but the deal is a great time to upgrade...... And you have to consider the purpose of the car, and how willing you are to deal with some increased maintenance over time.

As most change out springs on .600 up or upper .500 lift cam in intervals of 25k on the springs to be smart according to my tuner, but a lower lift good cam like the hot cam or even better the ASA cam can last longer due to their low lift as springs need to be in excess of the lift as in the .660 lift springs would be good for that lift but no more and safer for .640 and below.....Just some thoughts...........Good Luck , most likely they would drop the front cradle on a lift if they don't like the PITA going from the top represents.....who knows....and then there is those CHE bushings you could put in the rockers and make the rockers more reliable even better than bearing upgrade from comp cam....so things to consider, and yes Texas Speed is a good place many have used them for parts and BTW they send a round of BR30 driven racing break in oil for every engine they sell. Its included in the cost or no deal no warranty..... And do you have headers yet? Adding them with HFC a must now for efficiency unless your trying to stay stock or have the EPA Nazis breathing down your neck.....

Last edited by christianchevell; 01-25-2017 at 09:22 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote