Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
JMROD

Drives: 2SS RS ABM "Bumbleblue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I replaced everything from the manifolds to the axle (LTs, HF cats, x-pipe, stock muffs)... no drone at all. Quiet at idle, loud at WOT.

GM did an awesome job with the stock mufflers.

like NYG71, I suggest cutout or diverters... that way you can shut it off when your cruising.
Yeah I have seen those in the past. But I mentioned in my first post, I currently have flowmaster on. So with diverters I will get full diversion or drone. I would have to pay for Noweeds and pay to get back to stock or a quite muffler.

Maybe I can do both for what I would pay for Corsa. With my frankenstien set up I have now (4 changes on same system) I kind of like the idea of getting a crips clean full cat back and call it a day.

I will defintely think about diverters. I just saw some vidoes, sounds nice a mean with full diversion.
JMROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
martin_2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/Rs package
ISNT THIS DRONE THING YOU GUYS TALK ABOUT THE AFM????
the active fuel managment?? its the cylinders shutting down to foour then u give it gas an all 8 kick in ??
use the paddle shifters it and run higher rpms!
or delete it with a tune it might void warrenty tho
martin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #45
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The trunk isn't helping, sheet metal with hardly any carpet insulation on the floor.

Once you get your exhaust the way you want it, you may want to sound proof the trunk. Check out some sites like for dynamat, second skin... here is one. http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ They show the 3 steps. For exhaust noise coming through the trunk, do steps 1 and 2 - A vibration dampner, then a noise barrier pad on top of that.

The vibration dampner needs to be stuck to the sheet metal to add mass to it to stop it's resonance. That's where you stick down some dynamat or the second skin stuff. Dyna mat has some new lighter weight stuff - dyna light. Then cut out a rubber pad the same shape as the factory carpet and stick that under the carpet.

A lot of exhaust shops have some complete take off OE cat back systems laying around. Maybe someone could send you a system with the mufflers cut off and then put on an axleback on that.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #46
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Drives: 2012 ZL1
JMRod
I know exactly what your are going through. Unfortunately I went through the same thing a while back on an 03 Avalanche. In the end I ended up with Corsa. I still like the way other exhausts like Flowmaster sound, especially outside the car. But inside it's Corsa for me. When I bought the system for the Camaro I talked to Corsa and they told me that 2/3 of the systems they sell are to guys that put something else on and weren't happy.

I have Flowmaster 40s on my '68 and the drone will make your ears bleed, but I only drive it about 1,000 miles per year so I can live with it. Contrary to what some think drone doesn't have anything to do with AFM. That is a totally different issue. Interesting note, the drone goes away when I crack open the QTP cutouts. Louder yes, but no drone.
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #47
JMROD

Yeah I thought of Dynomat. But I am not happy with the sound of flowmaster regardless of droning. Its nice and deep but not waht I wanted.

I just drove my friends vette. He has Corsa Sport on his 08(same engine-LS3) and it seemed so weird how quite it was after being in the Camaro. I couldn't get it to drone no matter what I did. It was nice and quite at cruising speeds but when I stepped on it you could here a nice rumble from the rear. It was really nice. I let him drive the camaro he agreed it was way loud and "piercing, headache sound". He only drove it for 5min.

I liked his system but it is the sport edition. My understanding is the system they make for the Camaro is the extreme edition. I am actually excited becuase as much as I liked his I wanted it a tad more on the throaty side vs. "european".
Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #48
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Interesting......I have the Magnaflow X pipe with Flowmaster 40's and I have very minimal drone. I also kept with 2.5 inch piping and removed all resginators so Im sure that helps. My car is a L99.
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #49
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
I just did a magnaflow 16582 which is basically a muffler delete. No drone slight popping when you let off the gas. I think it sounds great. Jmo but I put a Borla on a friends vette and it droned like crazy
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #50
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you have an auto? Is the AFM contributing to it? Maybe you can turn the AFM off.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #51
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
You'd be amazed what happens when you install a resonator backwards. It's a pretty interesting scenario (in a good way).
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #52
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
so what was the point of you wanting a louder exhaust?

ANY car with the resonator deleted and high performance mufflers or no mufflers at all will be more noticable on the inside of the car. in fact the reason the stock exhaust is so quiet is because you can't hear it on the inside... any louder and you will get your opinion on drone. Corsa has done a good job to keep the drone at a minimum while cruising with the way their mufflers are designed.

i'm sick of people whining about "drone"

if you want it to be loud on the outside, but silent on the inside, then either turn your radio on to 15 or above and jam to some rock-n-roll, or go and get some hushmat laid down underneath the carpet and in the trunk, so you can play your classical music as if you were being driven in a rolls-royce.

personally, i have LT headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, and muffler delete... the only time i hear the exhaust is when i accelerate, which is when you WANT to hear it. i took an 900 mile round-trip this weekend in my car, average speed was 75, radio on 15 listening to XM Radio station, Octane, and i couldn't hear my exhaust... in fact i felt like i was going to fall asleep part of the way.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #53
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i can take drone. i don't see how it can be that loud in the cabin. my 5 cylinder colorado truck had no cats to a single in/dual out flowmaster 40 series with dual dumped tips under my cab, and i stood it for 2 years. i can take drone. it's a muscle car, it's supposed to be loud.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #54
stryker755

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert AGM
want to sell your x-pipe?
stryker755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #55
JMROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
so what was the point of you wanting a louder exhaust?

ANY car with the resonator deleted and high performance mufflers or no mufflers at all will be more noticable on the inside of the car. in fact the reason the stock exhaust is so quiet is because you can't hear it on the inside... any louder and you will get your opinion on drone. Corsa has done a good job to keep the drone at a minimum while cruising with the way their mufflers are designed.

i'm sick of people whining about "drone"

if you want it to be loud on the outside, but silent on the inside, then either turn your radio on to 15 or above and jam to some rock-n-roll, or go and get some hushmat laid down underneath the carpet and in the trunk, so you can play your classical music as if you were being driven in a rolls-royce.

personally, i have LT headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, and muffler delete... the only time i hear the exhaust is when i accelerate, which is when you WANT to hear it. i took an 900 mile round-trip this weekend in my car, average speed was 75, radio on 15 listening to XM Radio station, Octane, and i couldn't hear my exhaust... in fact i felt like i was going to fall asleep part of the way.
I am not sure how to reply to this, I don't think I understood the message of your post.

People are not justified to "whine" about "drone"? What is your helpful suggestion, I think I missed it?

Last edited by JMROD; 04-19-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #56
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I've got long tubes with hi-flo cats, magnaflow X (not resonated...just x-pipe), stock 2.5 exhaust (stock resonator trash-canned) through stock mufflers. No drone. Loud as heck when you hit the go pedal though.