Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Who wants to buy my '11 Vert for 150k?

...Now that I got your attention

IYHO is there any chance that the '11 Vert becomes a collecters item? No question IMHO that the 5 gen will become a car that people will want in the years to come as we transition into 6 gen's and beyond. With the Vert version becoming available in '11 and with a short production run (Jan - Aug), the total production numbers should be relatively small.

Also, there is a chance that V8's will go away or at least become rare expensive options. This could add to the value.

The dealer that I placed my order through stated that one guy is buying one at MSRP to immediately place it in a auction to make a few bucks. I found this to be strange since with a reasonable amount of effort (or by calling Becky ) one can be had at MSRP. It did get me thinking though.....If I take delivery of my vert and HATE it, maybe I can flip it for profit.

In all seriousness, do I have to plan on holding this car for the rest of my life? I don't want to tell my kids the same story that my dad told me......When I was 23 yada yada, I bought a '60 vette for $2,000 yada yada and do you know what that car would be worth today?????

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Personally i dont see the value going up on these 5 gen cars. I think they will always be cars that people will want to own. But with gas going up there is less or a market for these performance cars. Now maybe 50 years down the road you might be able to make some money off it but some people are thinking the same thing as you. Buy it, garage it and pray it will be the next 69 z or ZL1
Old 01-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I have some property for sale...............
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
Hobgoblin42

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Anniversary edition
Send a message via Yahoo to Hobgoblin42
I have a bridge in London if you want one ...................

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=1

Hobgoblin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't think we can predict what will become a collectors item and what won't when it comes down to specific trim levels and options.

I think you nailed it on the head when you said that the 5th generation as a whole will definitely be a car people will want or like, etc 20 years from now. It has that "spirit".
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Buy the car and enjoy it. It won't be valuable in your lifetime or at least not until your old and can't enjoy the money you get for it. Live it up while you can man (Be Safe though)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
I don't think any of our Camaros will be very collectible for a long time. Of newer cars that I have owned, maybe my triple black 03 50th anniversary Zo6. Currently, possibly my 94 Land Rover Defender 90. May as well build the sh!t out of the Camaro. Thats what I am doing. Congrats on the vert!
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Look at the value of used 5th gens now
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Look at the value of used 5th gens now

Old 01-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
who knows what is a collector item 40 years from now? It could be a dirty crusty Hanes underwear for all we know. Just get what floats your boat and enjoy. If you are spending your $ on a car in hope for a great return 40 years from now, you got serious problems. Flip it for profit? 1 of gazillon ain't nothing special.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Without Remorse View Post
...Now that I got your attention

IYHO is there any chance that the '11 Vert becomes a collecters item? No question IMHO that the 5 gen will become a car that people will want in the years to come as we transition into 6 gen's and beyond. With the Vert version becoming available in '11 and with a short production run (Jan - Aug), the total production numbers should be relatively small.

Also, there is a chance that V8's will go away or at least become rare expensive options. This could add to the value.

The dealer that I placed my order through stated that one guy is buying one at MSRP to immediately place it in a auction to make a few bucks. I found this to be strange since with a reasonable amount of effort (or by calling Becky ) one can be had at MSRP. It did get me thinking though.....If I take delivery of my vert and HATE it, maybe I can flip it for profit.

In all seriousness, do I have to plan on holding this car for the rest of my life? I don't want to tell my kids the same story that my dad told me......When I was 23 yada yada, I bought a '60 vette for $2,000 yada yada and do you know what that car would be worth today?????
This has been discussed ad-nauseum here. It will never be a collectors item, you will never make money on it. Buy it, drive it , enjoy it.

In regard to the V8, every piece of literature regarding the 6th Gen we have seen has stated that the SS model will still have a big v8 we all know and love.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
i think that without a doubt if you were to have a mint condition 5th gen 40 years from now it too will be fetching a good dollar. anything old in pristine condition brings big money. lets say you paid 34k for a brand new ss and maybe drove it very limited and kept the mileage down to say 20k miles and parked it. that car theoretically could be bringing 100k to maybe alot more depending on inflation and what not. i was watching barrett jackson the other night and it seems many old cars that to me are not that desireable are bringing a minimum of 20k but more like 30k to 80k
for instance karman ghia for 20k not even a convertible and not original
an old panel truck restored nicely was 35k
dodge dart convertible very clean but again not anything super 50k

why wouldnt a really nice 5th gen in 30 years bring a good increase.
if you really have money to toss around i would be buying one and parking it from day one and forget about it. i firmly believe these are the glory days of the muscle car for quite a long time and just like before government regulation will remove these cars off the road.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
There are many dealers that are selling at MSRP, some have even told people they will offer 'Supplier' pricing...at least that's what prospective customers have told me.

Well, NOT so GOOD if they don't have any allocation. Not so good if you have to wait 6 -10 months for your car.

AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
i think that without a doubt if you were to have a mint condition 5th gen 40 years from now it too will be fetching a good dollar. anything old in pristine condition brings big money. lets say you paid 34k for a brand new ss and maybe drove it very limited and kept the mileage down to say 20k miles and parked it. that car theoretically could be bringing 100k to maybe alot more depending on inflation and what not. i was watching barrett jackson the other night and it seems many old cars that to me are not that desireable are bringing a minimum of 20k but more like 30k to 80k
for instance karman ghia for 20k not even a convertible and not original
an old panel truck restored nicely was 35k
dodge dart convertible very clean but again not anything super 50k

why wouldnt a really nice 5th gen in 30 years bring a good increase.
if you really have money to toss around i would be buying one and parking it from day one and forget about it. i firmly believe these are the glory days of the muscle car for quite a long time and just like before government regulation will remove these cars off the road.
The thing is, many of those cars are barely beating inflation.

Case in point the 87 Buick GN. Fully loaded was about $17k new in 1987, and WAY more limited than the Camaro will ever be. You can now get one with low miles for around $20k, however Based on inflation alone you would have been better off saving the money as that $17k is almost $32k in today's money. They only made 20,000 Buick Grand Nationals in all of 1987 (and only 8,000 in 86), they will make 20,000 '11 Camaro Convertibles in 3 months.

Another thing to point out is while production numbers of the Camaro are similar now to 1969, Cars (in relation to salary) were MUCH cheaper then. Taking Inflation alone again, a 69 Camaro Z28 loaded would be about $22k today, econobox money. And I know from speaking to my elders that even the hottest cars were treated almost as disposable back then. Hence why clean nice ones are so rare (that and the fact the non galvanized steel rusts like crazy). Now a '10/'11 Camaro SS is more than half the average persons yearly before tax salary. Almost every one of us has a car payment of some sort on this site. I think few if any of us will treat a $36k car as "disposable". And also many people have the same idea - "I'm not gonna make the same mistake as my dad, this will be an investment". Well if you add up all those cars, there will be plenty of clean original ones to choose from, even in 40 years. Excess supply = low demand = price down.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote