Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #29
chain777

Drives: Slow
It's been established that the ZL1 is easier to drive at the limit than the GT500, so it's no surprise that that the ZL1 tends to post better lap times than the GT500 in the hands of amateurs. Get a professional driver behind the wheel, and the tables turn.

I can't even believe there's an argument about who would win in any acceleration contest, especially a roll race...
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
It's been established that the ZL1 is easier to drive at the limit than the GT500, so it's no surprise that that the ZL1 tends to post better lap times than the GT500 in the hands of amateurs. Get a professional driver behind the wheel, and the tables turn.

I can't even believe there's an argument about who would win in any acceleration contest, especially a roll race...

The way I heard one car magazine writer put it after he test drove both cars is "the ZL1 is driver friendly and allows you to go beyond your, or what you thought were, your capabilities. The mustang is a workout and you need to take a shower after a few laps. The ZL1 you go right from the track to a restaurant to meet up with your date!" Very easy and fun to drive.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #31
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post

It has also been established that stock for stock a ZL1 will beat a GT 500 on a multi-lap road race since the GT500 brakes fade badly.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #32
1QwikZ28

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexZr2 View Post
It has also been established that stock for stock a ZL1 will beat a GT 500 on a multi-lap road race since the GT500 brakes fade badly.
Really? So where does the ZL1's heat soak issue come into play?
1QwikZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #33
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
In all honesty the bad thing about lap times is there are a lot of variables. Unless the comparing lap times were done by the same driver and same day I would take those times with a grain of salt. I would imagine DA effects lap times more than drag times as well as driver and look at how far off drag times can be from driver to driver and DA to DA. I remember seeing the new Z28 lap time of a certain track kill the lap time of a carbon edition ZO6 with ZO7 package and I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense.
The single most important variable is seat time. Factory drivers with weeks of experience in a car will be a whole different ballgame than a pro or amateur in a car for one day. I have 7-8 years of racing Corvettes and I still shave off seconds on track by changing how I approach just a few corners or by altering tire pressures. The Z28 is on very, very sticky tires though and the value of sticky tires can't be ignored. At Gingerman I picked up almost 10 seconds by switching to Hoosier R6 on a slightly wider wheel and Gingerman is not a big track. Especially on high powered rwd cars like the ones being discussed, tires are paramount.

Last edited by trademaster; 01-24-2014 at 09:28 AM.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #34
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
The single most important variable is seat time. Factory drivers with weeks of experience in a car will be a whole different ballgame than a pro or amateur in a car for one day. I have 7-8 years of racing Corvettes and I still shave off seconds on track by changing how I approach just a few corners or by altering tire pressures. The Z28 is on very, very sticky tires though and the value of sticky tires can't be ignored. At Gingerman I picked up almost 10 seconds by switching to Hoosier R6 on a slightly wider wheel and Gingerman is not a big track. Especially on high powered rwd cars like the ones being discussed, tires are paramount.

Absolutely correct, but my comment on the mustang being faster on most tracks against the ZL1 is based strictly on both cars being stock, right off the dealership lot, and both being driven by a Pro driver on the same day. The ZL1 does take the lead usually going into the third or fourth lap because it is consistent lap after lap and the mustangs brakes fade very quickly.

Speaking of the importance of tires, just finished reading about the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesse. Engineering tires was one of the biggest obstacles. Michelin took on the challenge and said it takes one hour to make each tire. At a cost of around $10,500 per tire. And if you think that's pricey; they (Michelin) will only allow two sets of tires to be fitted before the rims also have to be replaced, at $70,000 for the set. This is to insure the integrity of the bead seal at high speed. And what does all that mean for the tires, well at Wide Open Throttle (250+mph range) the tires will only last 15 Minutes! But don't worry, a full tank of gas (26.4 gals) will only last 8 Minutes. Those darn Rich Boys and their Toys!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
2011shelby

Drives: 2011ShelbyGT500
How did OP's roll race question end up at the road course?
2011shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
In answer to
Quote:
I don't gauge what a car is worth from a roll.....
which implies that roll racing is seen as worthless.

Actually, you can use roll racing as a good indication of whether you could expect to be able to pass somebody driving the same or a similar car at a road course track day, or that you'd get passed by them. More knowledge being better than less, even if that wasn't the point of the roll race itself.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #37
Normagene

One of my favorite features on the Zl1 is the No Lift Shifting! Pedal to the metal! Much to my surprise it isn't nearly as violent as I thought it would be/feel. Rather smooth with only a small chirp!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I have to wonder if I'd ever be able to make myself do a true no-lift shift without lifting at least a little - even with full knowledge beforehand that I was supposed to be able to do so.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I have to wonder if I'd ever be able to make myself do a true no-lift shift without lifting at least a little - even with full knowledge beforehand that I was supposed to be able to do so.

Norm

I failed my first two tries, but like they say, third times a charm! I just automatically let off the second I hit the clutch. Once I did it right, thru the first four gears, although I didn't redline forth, just a normal shift into fifth. But I did it several times after because its addictive, same again, only the first four gears since redlining forth you're seriously moving! Just keep an eye on the gas gauge, you can see it drop really fast. But I highly recommend trying it at least once, its a great design feature, and it's what the ZL1 is made to do!