Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
speedster2468

Drives: soon to be owner of a Camaro
Anyone familiar with Illinois regulations on vehicle colors?

I will be purchasing a Camaro sometime next year and I am interested in wrapping the vehicle in a purple chrome. I have been doing research and came across people suggesting it was illegal to have a chrome vehicle on the streets. I have read through most of the Illinois vehicle regulations in chapter 12 of this site: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...=49&ActID=1815 The only thing it stated as far as colors was that it is unlawful to paint a vehicle school bus yellow. Can someone please add some insight on this issue or point me in the right direction? I would like my future camaro to look something like the color on this older model: http://www.zimmtech.net/pictures/01_...ro1Colbalt.jpg
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
speedster2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Call your police department's non emergency number or the Virginia State Patrol and ask them. Quick and easy
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Vinyl wrap makes a car look cheap IMO. To each their own though..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
There are no regulations on color as far as I know. Call your district's Illinois State Police headquarters and ask them.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
speedster2468

Drives: soon to be owner of a Camaro
Thanks, I will check into that. Toolfan, I've been researching the chrome look for quite some time and found that most of them are wraps. I have also talked to people about getting it painted chrome and they said it never turns out right and the runs are very apparent. Unless I drive out to California and lay down at least over 5K into the paint job the wrap is really my only option.
speedster2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Call your police department's non emergency number or the Virginia State Patrol and ask them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Call your district's Illinois State Police headquarters and ask them.
I'm not sure I would trust a police officer to interpret law. that is a job for lawyers, not police.

This is not meant to be a jab at police officers, it's just not their job to interpret laws, but rather to enforce them. Unless they specifically quoted a statute that would ban your color choice, I would consider the opinion to be highly suspect.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote