Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
you know RPI makes Stealth guards for non ZL1 cars and it is half the price and you can order just front or rear.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1815

I made my front ones for $10 using a template and a box cutter but the rear ones are harder to make bc of the mounting points so I will be buying rear ones.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Ofer and I made my front ones for $8.95
Old 03-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Zero View Post
you know RPI makes Stealth guards for non ZL1 cars and it is half the price and you can order just front or rear.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1815

I made my front ones for $10 using a template and a box cutter but the rear ones are harder to make bc of the mounting points so I will be buying rear ones.
Yes, I know. The problem with the rear stealth ones is that it will only cover half the rear tire, so when you look at it from behind it looks funny. Look at the reviews of them on this forum, everyone seems to have a difficult time installing them and protection is sub-par. No problem with the front stealth guards from the reviews. The ZL1 splash guard kit seems like the best of both worlds, stealth kit on the front and ZL1 splash guards in the rear.

Dealer wants to charge me $100 for both rear left and right so I'm not going to order from them. I would get them from GM parts warehouse but I would still order the front ones from RPI, so I may just do do the whole thing from RPI, ends up being about the same price after the coupon code.

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Ofer and I made my front ones for $8.95
Nice! I wish i could make my own, don't have many tools to do so

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FY_Ivan View Post
Nice! I wish i could make my own, don't have many tools to do so
snips sand paper use existing screws and some 3m tape
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Do you need to order #17, too? The right and left "splash shield rivets?"
Finally installed yesterday. Only used the top screw and had to cut a small notch in the top of the guard to do that. The other two screws do not align with the guard but the guard is notched out in those areas to allow a flush fit.. All though it comes with 3M tape along the entire side I did add a small amount at the bottom. I also added an addition screw in the bottom hole to be on the safe side this may be where they intended for the rivets to go. Fit was very good.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LnLSS View Post
Finally installed yesterday. Only used the top screw and had to cut a small notch in the top of the guard to do that. The other two screws do not align with the guard but the guard is notched out in those areas to allow a flush fit.. All though it comes with 3M tape along the entire side I did add a small amount at the bottom. I also added an addition screw in the bottom hole to be on the safe side this may be where they intended for the rivets to go. Fit was very good.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
So for V6 applications, these don't mount using existing screw holes/screws? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You were able to get 1 screw in (with a modification), otherwise it's being held with tape?

And yes,
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
So for V6 applications, these don't mount using existing screw holes/screws? Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. You were able to get 1 screw in (with a modification), otherwise it's being held with tape?

And yes,
Correct but like I said I added an additional screw. Maybe pics tomorrow if I can take them without removing the tire.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Ok looking at this pic I may not have needed to cut as much off the top as the picture shows. Just seemed when I was dry fitting that part was hanging up on the top.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Lite-Right

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS
On my 2012 V6 Vert, the ZL1 rear splash guards bolted right up with no modification required. Here is a pic of what they look like from behind once mounted:

From the side, you can't even tell that they are there:

I made my own stealth splash guards for the front from a piece of black ABS plastic sheet. These made a huge difference in protecting the car from road tar and other crud, and I think the ZL1 rears actually improved the appearance as well.

Definitely a worthwhile mod !

Regards,

--Keith
Lite-Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Glad I stumbled across this thread. I will definitely be ditching my RPI's for these on payday.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite-Right View Post
On my 2012 V6 Vert, the ZL1 rear splash guards bolted right up with no modification required. Here is a pic of what they look like from behind once mounted:

Definitely a worthwhile mod !

Regards,

--Keith
LoL another change in model years. Well good to know the 12's make it easier. Kind of makes sense since the ZL1's didn't come out until 2012.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite-Right View Post
Quote:
LoL another change in model years. Well good to know the 12's make it easier. Kind of makes sense since the ZL1's didn't come out until 2012.
Glad to know this, as I have a '12.

Thanks to both of you for the pics.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
splash guards