Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #57
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Ok so the coil overs have settled in. Dropped about another 1/4". I also added some H&R 20mm wheels spacers to flush out the wheels. I absolutely love the way it turned out! What do you guys think?

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #58
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Pure awesome man.
Pm me the info on the authorized dealer. That's an awesome price for new COs
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #59
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Pure awesome man.
Pm me the info on the authorized dealer. That's an awesome price for new COs
I'm looking to get a set myself.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #60
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Perfect stance now, congrats!
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #61
Daily Driver

Drives: Silver Bullet
Looks awesome Matt!
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #62
ss/rs-matt

Thanks guys! So far I am trilled with this set up.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #63
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
what width are your tires?

I'm running 245 front 275 back, from the factory instead of 245/245. Any issues if your are 275 width in the back. Finally, if they settled in 1/4" lower, are you able to run 2.25" lowered or did you adjust them to 2"
Larry
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #64
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
I'm running 245 front 275 back, from the factory instead of 245/245. Any issues if your are 275 width in the back. Finally, if they settled in 1/4" lower, are you able to run 2.25" lowered or did you adjust them to 2"
Larry
I'll have to measure to give you an exact drop. I would say i could drop it another 1/2" - 3/4" of inch if I wanted but the height it's at now is perfect for me. Non issues with my tires and I'm running 20mm spacers.
I'll measure it tonight after work to give you an exact ride height.
Hope that helps!
Matt

Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #65
Mister-Camaro

Drives: 2011 2SS L99
Alright, so now you got me thinking. I might be definitely be getting Coil-Overs but now some details on them please like...
- How long would instillation take?
- Pro's and Con's
- Can you change the ride height whenever?
- HOW DOES IT WORK?
Mister-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #66
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-Camaro View Post
Alright, so now you got me thinking. I might be definitely be getting Coil-Overs but now some details on them please like...
- How long would instillation take?
- Pro's and Con's
- Can you change the ride height whenever?
- HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Installation took me about 4-6 hours.
2. Pros
a. Coilovers are adjustable, never have to buy replacement struts
b. Coilovers are rebuildable
c. More ride height options
Cons
a. price
3. Yes.
4. Do adjust ride height ride moving the shock body up and down with the threaded mounts.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #67
patroklai
Enthusiast

Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3
Quick question on this- did you ever re-time your bushings? I'm dropped on springs and had all kinds of clunking/popping noises. Then I had my bushings retimed and the noise went away in the front, but still get a bit in the rear... i fear the shop didn't hit all the bushings. You are definitely lower than me so I'm curious if you are getting any noises.

Thanks.
patroklai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #68
ss/rs-matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
Quick question on this- did you ever re-time your bushings? I'm dropped on springs and had all kinds of clunking/popping noises. Then I had my bushings retimed and the noise went away in the front, but still get a bit in the rear... i fear the shop didn't hit all the bushings. You are definitely lower than me so I'm curious if you are getting any noises.

Thanks.
Yes I timed the bushings. I had a slight pop in the rear a while back but that was because I didn't properly tighten one of the sway bar end links. Once I found the loose bolt all noises were eliminated.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #69
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Honestly, having been through many brands of springs and struts in my previous car, coilovers are the only way to go. I still ended up with coilovers after it was all said and done. I wasted a lot of money and time. When I got my Camaro, I never even considered springs and went straight to coilovers.

If after you install springs and it's not the exact look and feel that you want, you are screwed. With coilovers you are pretty much guaranteed to get it exactly the way you want. Personally, the hassle is not worth it to me.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #70
patroklai
Enthusiast

Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3
^^ I'm with you on that one. I used to have a BMW that I sold recently and that car saw about 3 different spring configurations and then 2 different coil over setups. The biggest issue was the lack of drop from the springs.

I now have an newer model M3 with H&R loweing springs and the thing drives amazing. My faith in springs was restored. The suspension has so much control it just seems the springs were engineered for the factory shocks.

However, I cannot say the same for my LG SS springs. My camaro rides harsh (not to be confused with stiff) is bouncy and has at times unpredictable handling characteristics even after doing sway bars. I attribute this so the soft/spongy design of the suspesion as a whole (bushings/arms/etc). As you upgrade suspension components, other OEM components will start to fall behind and their weaknessess will become more aparent- you never win unless you keep modding

OP- your car looks almost identical to mine, except I have stripes and not as low of a drop. Did you put spacers on yours? I'm on 25mm spacers all around and love it... not sure I could go any lower.
patroklai is offline   Reply With Quote