Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
It's an eater!

I recently acquired a 30- inch California King snake. I named it "Mattress" (California King?), but was aware that while SOME kings will eat in captivity, others will not. Some go on a hunger strike in captivity, and if they won't eat, they need to be released.

So I got a couple of feeder mice (I know, two at a time is generally not ideal, but, I still gave it a shot). It took a full five seconds for the snake to capture the first mouse. He was swallowing it, but still had a wiggling tail sticking out of his mouth, when he went for the second mouse. Wow!

So, I figured he must be hungry... I got him two more. This time, my hand had not even gotten out of the way before the snake struck the first (no, the snake did not touch me, but it was really ONE second from the time I placed the mouse in there until it was struck by the snake). Death was quick, but before he could begin consuming it, he went for the second mouse. Killed #2, ate it, and THEN came back for #1.

This thing is docile, and comfortable around humans... he exhibits no aggressive behaviors, and makes no attempt to bite. Well, unless you are a mouse, in which case, he's not so docile.

I guess I have an eater!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Man you have to post a video on shit like that. I love watching that stuff

Last edited by mydreamcar; 08-12-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Sp
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Better keep your pants on around that guy
Old 08-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Make sure to always wash your hands after handling the mice. You don't want the snake latching onto your hand by accident .

How big do the Cali king snakes get ? When I was younger I had a 6'5" Red Tail Boa.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I had one. and a 6' Black Rat snake. I know this; They eat anything! And more than they can handle. It is instinct. My Rat once consumed 2 baby birds that were doomed as their nest was destroyed and mama abandoned them. did it in less than 30 minutes. last one went down ass first and was tweeting his homies til the last bite! sorry, was nature, but kinda silly.
Thing is, they don't need more calories than they can handle during their feeding cycle. so be careful, they get big quick!
Columbrids don't get Boa big, but 6' for one is larger than nature intended!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Nature is not pretty at times.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Make sure to always wash your hands after handling the mice. You don't want the snake latching onto your hand by accident .

How big do the Cali king snakes get ? When I was younger I had a 6'5" Red Tail Boa.
California Kings rarely get over four feet... they never get big.

And, yes, the hand- washing is important all the way around: I do NOT want my delicious fingers smelling like mice. Plus, after handling the serpent, it's time for a good scrub, too: The other day, I brought the snake for some nieces and nephews who were intrigued by it, and we ended up having a real poop- fest. That snake just started pooping on everything, and slinging his tail around at the same time. Everybody caught some of it, but I got the worst of it by far.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
I had one. and a 6' Black Rat snake. I know this; They eat anything! And more than they can handle. It is instinct. My Rat once consumed 2 baby birds that were doomed as their nest was destroyed and mama abandoned them. did it in less than 30 minutes. last one went down ass first and was tweeting his homies til the last bite! sorry, was nature, but kinda silly.
Thing is, they don't need more calories than they can handle during their feeding cycle. so be careful, they get big quick!
Columbrids don't get Boa big, but 6' for one is larger than nature intended!

"Tweeting his homies!" That's great!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
Scalded Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Nature is not pretty at times.
This is true.

I recently saw an argument online (yep... that happens!) in which somebody had video of a snake and bird involved in a life and death struggle. One person arguing was outraged that the videographer simply stood by and did nothing.

The argument ended, however, with the sage question of, which animal is more important? Is it more humane to save the bird, and let the snake starve, or to save the snake by letting the bird become dinner?

In nature, somebody's got to eat, and it often means that somebody's got to die.

Of course, I'd be happy to have a vegetarian snake... that's be a lot easier to take care of!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
This is true.

I recently saw an argument online (yep... that happens!) in which somebody had video of a snake and bird involved in a life and death struggle. One person arguing was outraged that the videographer simply stood by and did nothing.

The argument ended, however, with the sage question of, which animal is more important? Is it more humane to save the bird, and let the snake starve, or to save the snake by letting the bird become dinner?

In nature, somebody's got to eat, and it often means that somebody's got to die.

Of course, I'd be happy to have a vegetarian snake... that's be a lot easier to take care of!

Lol @ vegetarian snake idea. I bet someone at PETA has probably tried.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
There was a pet shop in Pensacola that would give me $3 a pop for Hog Nose Rattlers while I was in High School... easy gas money.

One day I took in a couple to get some gas money, and an older lady came in with an injured dove. Asked the owner if he would take care of it... "sure", he said. Once the older lady walked out the door, he tossed it in an aquarium that had a boa... it struck that dove then wrapped around it, and snuffed it out. That older lady would have had a cow!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Lol @ vegetarian snake idea. I bet someone at PETA has probably tried.

People Eating Tasty Animals
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
People Eating Tasty Animals
<- lifetime member. :-)
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Here ya go....Could happen...lol...enjoy...

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote