Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
FIRST ROUND OF MODS FOR MY Z

I've had my Z for a few months now and I've finally decided to do my first round of modifications. This week I purchased the following to have installed later this month. Is there anything I should add to this list?

Corsa 3" catback

Stainless works 2" primary LTH with RAM Proline 1400 degree ceramic heat coating

Injector Dynamics 1050x injectors (Squash or Fore fuel system in the future)

New Era 4.5" cold air intake with npt bungs for methanol (I'm not porting anything snout or blower, because I plan on upgrading to the heart beat or the R2650 blower in the future)

RSC PDx camshaft
BTR platinum .660 lift valve springs with titanium retainers
BTR hardened pushrods
Haven't decided on BTR trunnion kit or aftermarket rocker arms
ARP hardware, camshaft bolts, head bolts
NGK plugs
LS9 head gaskets
Misc GM gaskets
160 degree thermostat

AFCO ZL1 heat exchanger without fans (plan on adding expansion tank later on)

Innovators West LSA interchangeable balancer with Metco 9.55" lower drive pulley ring
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 AM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"
 
STUNNAH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,627
You're going to need fuel you want be able to wait...
__________________
Vengeance Racing Stage 1 Kit 575rwhp, 569 rwtq...
Rims powder coated gloss black...BFG'S Comp 2 A/S...
Dual 10" Kicker Comp S Subs 1200w...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:09 AM   #3
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
You're going to need fuel you want be able to wait...
Thanks for the feed back
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

 
Can'tHave2MuchHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible M6
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,552
Yep, you'll need to add a Boost-a-pump to that or the fuel system. And I'd go with a 10" lower for a lil extra power. Have you considered running on E85?
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Yep, you'll need to add a Boost-a-pump to that or the fuel system. And I'd go with a 10" lower for a lil extra power. Have you considered running on E85?
I was thinking the 9.5" lower would keep me around the 650 rwhp limit of the fuel pump. This is the same reason I didn't go with an upper. I ran E85 in my G8 and never had any problems, but recently it's been rumored that the E85 blend in Vegas is inconsistent, so I was planning on trying my hand at meth and running the Pro Meth ZL1 setup.
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

 
ZO6 Bryan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by incon3037r View Post
I was thinking the 9.5" lower would keep me around the 650 rwhp limit of the fuel pump. This is the same reason I didn't go with an upper. I ran E85 in my G8 and never had any problems, but recently it's been rumored that the E85 blend in Vegas is inconsistent, so I was planning on trying my hand at meth and running the Pro Meth ZL1 setup.

You will still run out of fuel with a 9.55 pulley. So you need to consider fuel upgrades anyway you look at it.
__________________
Bryan 695 SAE RWHP 2012 ZL1 9.55 pulley custom cam and Kooks headers, 2002 Z06 447 RWHP, 2006 Trailblazer SS, 1995 S/C Vortech Trans Am 570 RWHP(for sale)
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

 
Can'tHave2MuchHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible M6
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,552
The difference between 9.55" and 10" is going to be non existent in fuel requirements, both need more fuel than stock fuel pump and ID1050s can provide.

Fair enough on E85. Meth injection can compensate nicely on it's own with 93, but if you're in Vegas you likely have 91 in which case you'll be needing to be putting a healthy dose of Meth into the system. You may want to get in contact with Ted Jannetty at Janetty Racing about fueling, he knows a lot about octane and power levels and can tell you what you'll need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
You will still run out of fuel with a 9.55 pulley. So you need to consider fuel upgrades anyway you look at it.
Agreed.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
You will still run out of fuel with a 9.55 pulley. So you need to consider fuel upgrades anyway you look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The difference between 9.55" and 10" is going to be non existent in fuel requirements, both need more fuel than stock fuel pump and ID1050s can provide.

Fair enough on E85. Meth injection can compensate nicely on it's own with 93, but if you're in Vegas you likely have 91 in which case you'll be needing to be putting a healthy dose of Meth into the system. You may want to get in contact with Ted Jannetty at Janetty Racing about fueling, he knows a lot about octane and power levels and can tell you what you'll need.



Agreed.
I appreciate all the feed back guys. I'll definitely start looking into different fuel setups and if need be, I'll dial it back until I decide which route I want to go.
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
ZO6 Bryan

 
ZO6 Bryan's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,764
You have head gaskets and head bolts on your mod list but not any plans for ported or aftermarket heads? Why?
__________________
Bryan 695 SAE RWHP 2012 ZL1 9.55 pulley custom cam and Kooks headers, 2002 Z06 447 RWHP, 2006 Trailblazer SS, 1995 S/C Vortech Trans Am 570 RWHP(for sale)
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #10
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
You have head gaskets and head bolts on your mod list but not any plans for ported or aftermarket heads? Why?
Great question. I'll have to look into having them touched up.
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
gmorris
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1, Red Hot A6
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by incon3037r View Post
Great question. I'll have to look into having them touched up.
What he meant was that if you aren't having the heads ported or swapping them out there is no need to remove them for a cam swap...therefore you don't need studs and gaskets.
__________________
2015 Red Hot ZL1, Rotofab, Kooks LT's, 9.55 lower, ID850's, JMS BAP, self tuned with HPtuners
1969 Chevelle, 418 LS3, Ridetech suspension
gmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 12,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by incon3037r View Post
I've had my Z for a few months now and I've finally decided to do my first round of modifications. This week I purchased the following to have installed later this month. Is there anything I should add to this list?

Corsa 3" catback

Stainless works 2" primary LTH with RAM Proline 1400 degree ceramic heat coating

Injector Dynamics 1050x injectors (Squash or Fore fuel system in the future)

New Era 4.5" cold air intake with npt bungs for methanol (I'm not porting anything snout or blower, because I plan on upgrading to the heart beat or the R2650 blower in the future)

RSC PDx camshaft
BTR platinum .660 lift valve springs with titanium retainers
BTR hardened pushrods
Haven't decided on BTR trunnion kit or aftermarket rocker arms
ARP hardware, camshaft bolts, head bolts
NGK plugs
LS9 head gaskets
Misc GM gaskets
160 degree thermostat

AFCO ZL1 heat exchanger without fans (plan on adding expansion tank later on)

Innovators West LSA interchangeable balancer with Metco 9.55" lower drive pulley ring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The difference between 9.55" and 10" is going to be non existent in fuel requirements, both need more fuel than stock fuel pump and ID1050s can provide.

Fair enough on E85. Meth injection can compensate nicely on it's own with 93, but if you're in Vegas you likely have 91 in which case you'll be needing to be putting a healthy dose of Meth into the system. You may want to get in contact with Ted Jannetty at Janetty Racing about fueling, he knows a lot about octane and power levels and can tell you what you'll need.



Agreed.
Thank you for the referrals, much appreciated.

incon3037r I would be happy to discuss your project and get you headed in the right direction with a very effective power package that will give you long life and great power.

Ted.
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #13
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
So I've decided to go with the DSX auxiliary fuel system and added the NEP expansion tank to my list.
__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
incon3037r
GMHIC
 
incon3037r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1/2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 130
So my final numbers are listed on the dyno sheet below. I was hoping for more, but considering my baseline was low and the blower was only making 8 psi with the 9.55 lower and running 91 octane, I don't feel too bad. I'm sure if I add a 2.75" upper, port the snout w/ along with a larger throttle body, I can pick up some additional boost and hit 650+.

__________________
Pontiac G8 GT- ProCharger F-1D, Treadstone TR1235 FMIC, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH,Corsa catback, New Era (228/240) cam, Yella Terra 1.7 Rockers, GMPP LS3 CNC heads, Aeromotive A1000, FAST fuel rails, FIC 1000cc injectors - 762 RWHP/646 LBFT tuned @ 9psi on E85 9psi using HP Tuners
Camaro ZL1- Stainless Works 2" LTH, Corsa catback, RSC PDx cam, ID 1050x injectors, DSX fuel kit, New Era 4.5" intake, BTR springs/pushrods, AFCO heat exchanger, New Era expansion tank, Innovators West balancer, Metco 9.55" lower - 609 RWHP/591 LBFT tuned @ 8psi on 91 octane using HP Tuners
incon3037r is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.