Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
JohnS1991

Drives: 2012 Shelby GT500
What is on my car and how do I get rid of it?!

I'd like to know how to get rid of this sap or bird sh!t that is on the hood and looks like it will never come off! I must post photos tomorrow, but maybe some of you have experienced the same thing and will have some solutions for me!! It's like yellow-orange dots, but they are hard and if you pick at them you feel like you will remove paint with them, so obviously don't want to continue doing that! How does this come off? I think it's something from the trees or I have no darn clue!!! I had this on my last car, so it must just be where I park although there's nothing over there! With my last car, I couldn't care less, this car that's another story. Not too mention, it's white and now there's this rust color dots all over the hood and they will not come off with regular cleaning!!! There hard and stuck like paint. What do I do now??
JohnS1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Had the same issue ALL over my trunk a few weeks ago. Luckily the guy who painted my spoiler was nice enough to wet sand it off gently and then buff it. I just need some swirl remover. If it's as bad as mine was, you might want to find a local detailer who can help you out.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
clay bar, bug & tar remover or cleaning wax
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
clay bar, bug & tar remover or cleaning wax
+1

Clay bar + IronX should do the job.

Make sure you put on paint protection after that, it will help prevent contaminants from properly bonding..regular detailing goes without saying...

Those Yellow rust spots are what are commonly known as Industrial fallout..contaminants that are ferrous (embedded in the clearcoat) in nature are what cause this...regular exposure to moisture and air cause them to rust.

Given that your Camaro is new, it could've been transported to the US via railway, lot of ferrous particles flying about from the track etc...

If they've set in too deep, polishing is your only way to properly remove it..but usually IronX seems to suffice[There are also other decontamination kits available, Valugard among them].

Last edited by POWERMAN; 03-15-2013 at 09:38 PM.
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Theres also a UV spot treatment that works good. Not with C5 paint but it works on Yugo paint or anything better .
Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
It might be Bee poo - I deal with it all of the time:

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct...os/hy-wheels31

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ery-frustrated
Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
It might be Bee poo - I deal with it all of the time:
Interesting...

... thanks for sharing!
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I can't say I have heard of Bee pooh. But whatever it is you want to get it off and anything acidic will etch the clear coat and possibly into the paint. I haven't used it but for fall out and such Iron X I heard is good. Wash the car, bug and tar remover of some sort, re-wash then clay bar the car and then put a good coat of wax on.

All my other cars I never treated bugs and they used to get left on for 2 to 3 weeks before washing and yeah they were hard to clean. Well I have a black car and all I can say is do not, I repeat DO NOT, leave bugs on your paint. Through the summer last year after I bought the car I never realized how hard it was to keep it clean so it got washed every Friday. Late summer I got tired of this and went about 3 weeks without a wash, car was a little dirty but a lot of bugs on the front bumper. I couldn't seem to get the bugs off the front end. I pulled it into the garage and sat down with a can of bug and tar remover and that didn't seem to do it. Well it turns out that when bugs decay and dry up they turn acidic and they actually etched the clear coat. I got lucky they did not eat all the way through the paint. I spent over an hour with a random orbital buffer and polish getting those etchings off the clear coat. During the rest of the bug season I clean the bumper with bug and tar remover about every 3 days.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
My wife parked my former 2010 camaro underneath a pine tree once and got tree sap all over it. I had this vision of spending hours removing it with a clay bar but to my surprise i used the local car wash that you do manually and got it all off. Try the simple methods like this first before pulling out the buffer or clay bar.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
clay bar and the camaro is free therapy...
Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #11
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I have some rust spots from shipping. I took the stripes off so I could get to the spots that were on the edge of the stripes that I shouldn't get to. Clay bar should take them off.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Try some WD-40 on a soft rag.
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
Just take a knife and scrape it off.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
POWERMAN