Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
shucksters
Hi-tech Redneck

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Am I a chicken or smart?

OK- here's the deal. I have a 100K mike bumper to bumper GMPP on my (new to me) 2SS. It only has 15K mi on it. I was all set to put on a Vararam CAI with a Magnaflow Cat back and a tune but now I understand the tune will potentially negate the warranty. I spoke to my dealer and he was cool- said to bring it to him, but I am concerned because I will not always be close enough to do that. I guess I am going to stay stock because of the protection but I AM disappointed because I was looking forward to the new package (and no AFM).
What would you do?
7 horses 7 dogs
shucksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
You can still do intake and exhaust. The tune will void your warranty though. If you want to do the tune prepare to pay for anything if it does break. They still may cover stuff with a tune but pretty doubtful.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
The dealer most likely said what you wanted to hear ,like the previous post says , don't do it unless you are ready to $$$$$$$ away
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
shucksters
Hi-tech Redneck

I talked to Josh at dynospeed in Memphis. He seemed to think it only made sense WITH the tune so I guess it's all or nothing. Do you think I would still enjoy the CAI and Catback without the tune? Would I still be gaining anything?
7 horses 7 dogs
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucksters View Post
I talked to Josh at dynospeed in Memphis. He seemed to think it only made sense WITH the tune so I guess it's all or nothing. Do you think I would still enjoy the CAI and Catback without the tune? Would I still be gaining anything?
You will still gain power but the tune as with any upgrade will give you more power since it will be tuned for the mods added to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
shucksters
Hi-tech Redneck

Right but then I'm going to have the dreaded "droning" when the AFM cuts on as well?
7 horses 7 dogs
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
He's just trying to sell you on a tune. Sure there is power to be had by tuning the engine, but it's not an all-or-nothing situation. The car will breathe better with the mods you listed and sound soooo much better. You will still make power with those mods, without a tune. There are probably more of us that have bolt-ons without tunes, than those that do.
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
shucksters
Hi-tech Redneck

It is awful quiet STOCK! I would like a better sound if I knew my warranty was safe.
7 horses 7 dogs
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shucksters View Post
It is awful quiet STOCK! I would like a better sound if I knew my warranty was safe.
Yeah, bigger/different resonator, the differences between LS3 and L99 can, and probably do, have an impact on the sound as well. Test drove one a year ago (L99) and it wasnt as loud as I expected too.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
He's just trying to sell you on a tune. Sure there is power to be had by tuning the engine, but it's not an all-or-nothing situation. The car will breathe better with the mods you listed and sound soooo much better. You will still make power with those mods, without a tune. There are probably more of us that have bolt-ons without tunes, than those that do.
I am not trying to sell anyone a tune. I am a member and I do not have a shop. Just as I stated he will gain power with the mods but like any mod it will gain more power with the tune.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
yep just wants to sell you a tune...a catback will gain nothing from a tune, or stock...no power there just sound...an intake will give you some yep (although i would do some research as your choice wouldnt be mine, BTW i have a CAI)...and if it was tuned perhaps a few more...but you are basically tuning a stock car and wouldnt gain very much fom it and will void your warranty. not even close to a good decision in my book.

or maybe he doesnt just want to sell you a tune lol...the rest still applies though...
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
yep just wants to sell you a tune...a catback will gain nothing from a tune, or stock...no power there just sound...an intake will give you some yep (although i would do some research as your choice wouldnt be mine, BTW i have a CAI)...and if it was tuned perhaps a few more...but you are basically tuning a stock car and wouldnt gain very much fom it and will void your warranty. not even close to a good decision in my book.

or maybe he doesnt just want to sell you a tune lol...the rest still applies though...
Vararam intakes are on par with CAI and don't require an air scoop and relocation kit.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Wow I swear people

I would like to know how I am trying to sell a tune when I don't have one to sell
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #14
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post

WTH?! What part of CHMSC's comment led you to believe he was trying to sell you a tune?? He was just stating facts! FAIL!