Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Clean.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #16
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
They look like stockers but you need filler pieces which I would love to do flares on my SS.
I already have the ZL1 rockers and 1LE splitter just need the diffuser and flares.

An you can buy a set of flares only on eBay for 300 bucks
Flares and rockers for 650
Individual flares for 90
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.

Last edited by olblue75; 07-08-2016 at 06:00 PM.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #17
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Source?

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Yeah, but I don't think he'd want to mess with that mag suspension...

Looks great, OP.
I don't think the ZL1 came with Mag Suspension . I Agree the car would look better lowered with those wheels .
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
I agree, it needs to be lowered about a inch, but the roads suck soooo bad here.
The flares are stock Z/28 flares.
I made some little fillers to get them to mate up to the ZL1 skirts & air dam.
I'll try to post some front/rear shots tomorrow.
Thanks for the kind comments.

Rag Top Rob
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #20
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
I don't know if it would mess with it that much. There are 4 ZL1's in our camaro club here that are lowered but nothing over 1".
You're probably right... but my perspective is that if you're getting a ZL1, you're in it more for performance rather than looks (even though gad dam its got looks!!). ZL1 says bad ass without saying a word! Us SS's are a mixed bag, lol...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #21
olblue75

The ZL1's, caddy's, Vettes, and a few GMC trucks have the mag ride shocks while the 1LEs have the mono tubes and the SS's and V6 guys and gals have standard shocks.

What did you make your filler pieces from.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...w=z28&_sacat=0

Hope this helps.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #22
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
You're probably right... but my perspective is that if you're getting a ZL1, you're in it more for performance rather than looks (even though gad dam its got looks!!). ZL1 says bad ass without saying a word! Us SS's are a mixed bag, lol...
I agree. The ZL1 looks great as is. I just can't and wouldn't leave it stock height lol!

IMO all SS and V6's should be lowered as soon as you add new wheels. Again just my opinion.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #23
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
IMO all SS and V6's should be lowered as soon as you add new wheels. Again just my opinion.
Agreed!! There is too much wheel well gap coming out of the factory.

I had to drop mine and so glad I did. In fact, I didn't end with just springs. If you're going to touch the suspension, ya might as well upgrade. Within the span of about a year, I pieced together the Hotchkis Race Pack, with thicker sways and endlinks, obviously the springs, and the one that made a whole lot of difference when it comes to body stiffness - the chassis brace. That thing did wonders. It helps prevent the tail end from dancing around, keeping the rear end straight and firm with the front end. The ride quality is still very good, although with a stiffer suspension it obviously will get a bit harsher. But I love it... it all came together very nicely and I love the look now that its lowered.

The beauty of it all is that its not just a freaken rocket, but a very nimble ride and a road hugging beast with the thicker tires.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #24
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Agreed!! There is too much wheel well gap coming out of the factory.

I had to drop mine and so glad I did. In fact, I didn't end with just springs. If you're going to touch the suspension, ya might as well upgrade. Within the span of about a year, I pieced together the Hotchkis Race Pack, with thicker sways and endlinks, obviously the springs, and the one that made a whole lot of difference when it comes to body stiffness - the chassis brace. That thing did wonders. It helps prevent the tail end from dancing around, keeping the rear end straight and firm with the front end. The ride quality is still very good, although with a stiffer suspension it obviously will get a bit harsher. But I love it... it all came together very nicely and I love the look now that its lowered.

The beauty of it all is that its not just a freaken rocket, but a very nimble ride and a road hugging beast with the thicker tires.
Yes, I was noticing your stance over in the picture thread and it looks great. I will probably lower mine next. I told my boss I was lowering it and he's all, "oh man, you don't need to lower it... ". Then he drives up in his lowered '69 Mach 1...

I think the convertible has extra bracing already so I will probably just go with springs. ..
Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Yes, I was noticing your stance over in the picture thread and it looks great. I will probably lower mine next. I told my boss I was lowering it and he's all, "oh man, you don't need to lower it... ". Then he drives up in his lowered '69 Mach 1...

I think the convertible has extra bracing already so I will probably just go with springs. ..
You'll love it if you do lower it.

Consider Hotchkis in case you want to do more than springs in the future. All the pieces are tuned to work together for much improved handling.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #26
tabio42

Drives: CTS-V
What's the install like on these? It looks like you may have to bolt them on from inside the wheel well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tabio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #27
olblue75

Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabio42 View Post
What's the install like on these? It looks like you may have to bolt them on from inside the wheel well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a very good question. I've heard it takes a glue and has to be held on very tightly while it sets up. Would it be possible to use 3M two sided tape plus fasteners?? Enquirey Minds wanna know...
Old 07-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #28
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
This is a very good question. I've heard it takes a glue and has to be held on very tightly while it sets up. Would it be possible to use 3M two sided tape plus fasteners?? Enquirey Minds wanna know...
The front wheel well flare, front edge, has a bolt hole that connects it to the z28 splitter, Then there are four small screws that go through holes that need to be drilled in the front bumper cover. There is a special adhesive that is included inside the flare that needs to be heated then held tightly to the fender as it cools down. The back end of the front flare connects on to the Z28 rocker panel.

The back wheel well flare bolts in to the back bumper cover (need to drill holes there also) and has the same adhesive and connection setup as the front, connecting in to Z28 rocker panel in similar fashion that is used on the front.

The technique to get the wheel flares to stay stuck in place around the entire perimeter is difficult to do correctly so it won't come lose and break the bond. Heard of cases where the owner/installer had to go back and buy some additional special adhesive to re-do portions to get it to bond correctly.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote