Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Thumbs up Sticking clutch pedal issues - Tick Performance feels your pain!

As a new sponsor here on Camaro5, I'm seeing a ton of threads made by folks having issues with their clutch pedals sticking to the floor during aggressive driving. We here at Tick Performance have a very good understanding of this all-too-familiar problem, as it has been happening to all performance-oriented GM vehicles for years. We've totally solved this issue in many other applications (you can even read about our Adjustable Master Cylinder kit for 04-06 GTO in GM High Tech magazine, here); unfortunately there is no 100% solution for the 2010+ V8 Camaro - yet. EDIT: On 7/31/18, we FINALLY released our Tick Performance Billet Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit for 2010-15 Camaro SS & ZL1 & Z28, which solves all of the issues discussed in this thread.

The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse while stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.

Known Band-Aids for the problem: Notice we say band-aids, not fixes. These items may help your problem, although they won't solve it:
  • Tick Performance Stainless Braided Clutch Line (here)
  • Lingenfelter Clutch Pedal Return Kit (here)
  • Tick Performance Slave Cylinder Shim Kit (here)
  • Keeping fluid fresh and free of clutch dust
  • Using exotic, expensive aftermarket hydraulic fluid
  • We've even seen some reservoir modifications, etc
Unfortunately, these items will only help ease the symptoms of the problem, best case scenario.

There is only one way to SOLVE the problem: by upgrading the master cylinder to move more fluid. Our Adjustable Master Cylinder kits that utilize a bigger bore cylinder have solved this problem in thousands of other GM applications (1993-2002 Camaro & Firebird, 1997-2013 Corvette, 2004-06 Pontiac GTO.)

We certainly haven't given up. Our engineers are still working to design a kit that will work as intended, but we've not gotten anything to build on - yet. I wish I had an ETA on a solution or at least a better idea on a timeline for everyone, but at this point there is no information available. Just know that we're definitely aware of the problem, we definitely know how to solve it, and we're working hard to make an Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit a reality for these cars. EDIT: On 7/31/18, we finally introduced our Tick Performance Billet Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit for 2010-15 Camaro SS & ZL1 & Z28, which solves all of the issues discussed in this thread!

Last edited by Matt@Tick; 08-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Welcome,

Are you guys bringing anything to the table for the v-6 community?
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Matt@Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
Welcome,

Are you guys bringing anything to the table for the v-6 community?
No plans as of now - once we develop the V8 units, we'll evaluate demand.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey@Tick View Post
As a new sponsor here on Camaro5, I'm seeing a ton of threads made by folks having issues with their clutch pedals sticking to the floor during aggressive driving. We here at Tick Performance have a very good understanding of this all-too-familiar problem, as it has been happening to all performance-oriented GM vehicles for years. We've totally solved this issue in many other applications (you can even read about our Adjustable Master Cylinder kit for 04-06 GTO in GM High Tech magazine, here); unfortunately there is no 100% solution for the 2010+ V8 Camaro yet.

The cause of the problem: the stock clutch master cylinder simply doesn't flow enough fluid to push the clutch slave cylinder far enough to fully disengage the clutch. This produces extreme heat inside the bellhousing, boiling the fluid inside the hydraulic system (thus introducing air) and causing a faded (or totally dead) clutch pedal. Other side effects include difficulty shifting at high RPMs, difficulty engaging 1st and Reverse while stopped, shortened clutch life and shortened transmission life. We've been seeing this exact issue for years in many applications.

Known Band-Aids for the problem: Notice we say band-aids, not fixes. These items may help your problem, although they won't solve it:
  • Tick Performance Stainless Braided Clutch Line (here)
  • Lingenfelter Clutch Pedal Return Kit
  • Tick Performance Slave Cylinder Shim (.115")
  • Keeping fluid fresh and free of clutch dust
  • Using exotic, expensive aftermarket hydraulic fluid
  • We've even seen some reservoir modifications, etc
Unfortunately, these items will only help ease the symptoms of the problem, best case scenario.

There is only one way to SOLVE the problem: by upgrading the master cylinder to move more fluid. Our Adjustable Master Cylinder kits that utilize a bigger bore cylinder have solved this problem in thousands of other GM applications (93-02 F-Body, 97-08 Corvette, 04-06 GTO, etc) but in 2009, GM changed the way the computer monitors the clutch master cylinder, making it impossible to use our kit as designed. This leaves 2009+ Corvette owners, 2009 G8 GXP owners and 2010+ V8 Camaro owners without a solution for the time being.

We certainly haven't given up. Our engineers are still working to design a kit that will work as intended with the stock computer, but we've not gotten anything to build on - yet. I wish I had an ETA on a solution or at least a better idea on a timeline for everyone, but at this point there is no information available. Just know that we're definitely aware of the problem, we definitely know how to solve it, and we're working hard to make an Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit a reality for these cars.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
subscribed.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
It eludes me to why GM would be aware of this issue for so long and NOT resolve it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Identifying the root cause is the first step. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Matt@Tick

Thank you guys for the kind words thusfar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
It eludes me to why GM would be aware of this issue for so long and NOT resolve it.
GM doesn't resolve the issue because they're the very cause of this issue. By using an inefficient, sluggish clutch master cylinder, they eliminate the possibility of these cars being powershifted in stock form; thus greatly lowering the chances of replacing major driveline parts under warranty.

If you can't shock or abuse the driveline by aggressively shifting the car, it's much harder to break axles, rear ends, driveshafts, etc.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
GM doesn't resolve the issue because they're the very cause of this issue. By using an inefficient, sluggish clutch master cylinder, they eliminate the possibility of these cars being powershifted in stock form; thus greatly lowering the chances of replacing major driveline parts under warranty.

If you can't shock or abuse the driveline by aggressively shifting the car, it's much harder to break axles, rear ends, driveshafts, etc.
I'll be the first to ask the question based on this statement. Does this "fix", when available, void the power train warranty?

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Matt@Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
I'll be the first to ask the question based on this statement. Does this "fix", when available, void the power train warranty?

-Funk
You'll have to check with your salesman on that - warranties vary so much from dealer to dealer, we're hesitant to make any claims on them at all.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
pnyklr

Can you go into more detail regarding this statement?

"computer monitors the clutch master cylinder"

-Funk

08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Matt@Tick

I can elaborate somewhat, but since I'm not on our engineering team, I can't be incredibly specific.

Our Adjustable Master Cylinder Kit allows you to adjust the amount of fluid your hydraulic system flows by adjusting the pedal height up and down.

On the earlier GM models, the computer could only tell when the clutch was fully up or fully depressed because they had a cruise control switch and a clutch safety switch, which were adjustable so that contact could be re-established even if the pedal is slightly shortened after install of our kit (which is common).

Unfortunately, the 2009+ Corvette, 2009 G8 GXP and 2010+ V8 Camaro computers read the clutch pedal position much more precisely, for example the computer can tell if the clutch is 38% depressed. Since it's common for our kit to lower clutch pedal height (sometimes significantly), it's impossible to install a kit like ours and keep proper function of the vehicle.

We are working on a solution, and I'll certainly pass along more information as soon as it's made available to me!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
pnyklr

Is the computer controlling flow based on the position of the clutch?

-Funk

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Quote:
...the 2009+ Corvette, 2009 G8 GXP and 2010+ V8 Camaro computers read the clutch pedal position much more precisely, for example the computer can tell if the clutch is 38% depressed.
Yep, ran into that when installing a 2-step: Had to install a programmable TPS switch on that CMOS signal wire coming from this odd OEM clutch switch just to act like a...#$%@$ clutch switch!

Quote:
We are working on a solution, and I'll certainly pass along more information as soon as it's made available to me!
Glad to see Tick engineering solutions for 5th gens. All my 4th gen friends use your products and it kinda makes me jealous they have such good options!
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote