Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #281
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14RedHot View Post
Im not sure if this thread is dead but maybe someone can enlighten me. I have a 2014 2ls. I want to know if its possible to drop ls3 or will i face the same fate?

Also what about alternatives like Supercharging or Twin Turbo. Sorry if I'm asking noob questions. New to the 5th gen. Thanks!

there are actually a handful of things you can do. You can go twin turbo on the car but are you willing to spend $10K+ in installations and other cost you might need to do ?
The other option is to look into IPF supercharger route as well. It seems like a good choice for a beginner. Also if you don't want the FI route there are always ways to increase small amounts of power here and there. The LFX engine is a very good engine. If it is your daily driver try not to go all power crazy cause it is something that is going to take you from Point A to Point B.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #282
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
The LFX is a great motor, but GM didn't leave a lot to work with. Like everyone else will tell you, if your looking for big horsepower trade in for an SS. Your going to spend 10k+ just to match the stock power of an LS3. And then your topped out.
I'm not downplaying the V6 Camaros, I had a 13 RS with every bolt on you can get and it was a great, quick car. Don't waste money, enjoy the V6 and when then time comes spend your saved mod dollars on a V8, if horsepower is what your after.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #283
14RedHot

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS. 2001 Camaro Z28
Thanks guys. Guess ill just go the rs route and work putting led lights front and back. Any tips on my first Tune Up??
14RedHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #284
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
The LFX is a great motor, but GM didn't leave a lot to work with. Like everyone else will tell you, if your looking for big horsepower trade in for an SS. Your going to spend 10k+ just to match the stock power of an LS3. And then your topped out.
I'm not downplaying the V6 Camaros, I had a 13 RS with every bolt on you can get and it was a great, quick car. Don't waste money, enjoy the V6 and when then time comes spend your saved mod dollars on a V8, if horsepower is what your after.
This is not entirely correct. Look at the numbers the LFX is getting with the Fabberge twin turbo set up. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that their twin turbo set up is making mid to high 500s with just the turbos themselves. Again I believe that's on max boost, but I think their number was 575, which is A LOT more than a stock SS is putting down. And even then you're not "topped out". It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Search up a member on here, GretchenGotGrowl, I believe their Camaro was up to around 650 rwhp.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #285
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I still love this idea...Im broke now and might not be alive in two weeks (masive surgery, long story), but I would like an 8 in my LS.

I thought about it, and the issue I have is the wheels. I cant do a dd with huge wheels and skinny tires. I need some meat on them, plus I like the look. (Paint the letters white kind of look. goofy on thin tires, awesome on wide ones lol)

Anyway, the cost of all those changes from an SS might be the same as going frmo LS to a v8. Plus there is the whole "original owner" thing. This is my carr from day one. If I do win the lotto (or heal) I will look into a crazy swap, ie crate carbureted motor. The gauges will be trick, since everything is computer controlled. The other stuff is easy, swap from older cars, a relay here, wiring harness there (I have one car with the trunk full of wiring harnesses from a few cars)
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #286
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
I'm really trying to do this swap, my engine went out and I'm wanting to put a v8 in rather than another v6. I kno I'll have to change suspension, brakes, trans and motor obviously. My biggest question is electrical. What all needs to be changed?
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #287
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
so my car was built June 2009, so if I found a wrecked 2010 SS that was built around the same time, I should be fine?

I wanted to do a LQ9 swap but I can go this route too
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #288
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
so my car was built June 2009, so if I found a wrecked 2010 SS that was built around the same time, I should be fine?

I wanted to do a LQ9 swap but I can go this route too
If you don't mind your car being off the road for weeks and you have the skills to do it yourself go for it.

Otherwise trade her in or sell it privately.

Sent you a PM, couldn't send it your box is full.

Clear some of the spam
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #289
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
It's been proven these swaps are horrible ideas, why people keep considering them is beyond me. Just trade in for an SS - used 5th gens are dirt cheap now.

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #290
tamss13

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have a different question but I figured this thread would be the best to answer it.

I recently replaced my daughters 2010 LS engine(it was blown) with another LLT..

I have a buddy who liked my daughters car and he found a 2010 SS with no trans or Engine at a great price. He wants to put a V6 engine and trans unit from another 2010 LT....

I told him that couldn't be done and he needed to consider maybe a LS7 engine and trans....

I want to make sure I told him correctly...you can't put a V6 in a SS?
tamss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 AM   #291
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamss13 View Post
I have a different question but I figured this thread would be the best to answer it.

I recently replaced my daughters 2010 LS engine(it was blown) with another LLT..

I have a buddy who liked my daughters car and he found a 2010 SS with no trans or Engine at a great price. He wants to put a V6 engine and trans unit from another 2010 LT....

I told him that couldn't be done and he needed to consider maybe a LS7 engine and trans....

I want to make sure I told him correctly...you can't put a V6 in a SS?
Anything can be done given enough time and money.

Why reinvent the wheel?

Lots of cheap LS engines to be had and 4 speed trannies to get it done on a low budget..
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #292
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castrosua View Post
I still love this idea...Im broke now and might not be alive in two weeks (masive surgery, long story), but I would like an 8 in my LS.

I thought about it, and the issue I have is the wheels. I cant do a dd with huge wheels and skinny tires. I need some meat on them, plus I like the look. (Paint the letters white kind of look. goofy on thin tires, awesome on wide ones lol)

Anyway, the cost of all those changes from an SS might be the same as going frmo LS to a v8. Plus there is the whole "original owner" thing. This is my carr from day one. If I do win the lotto (or heal) I will look into a crazy swap, ie crate carbureted motor. The gauges will be trick, since everything is computer controlled. The other stuff is easy, swap from older cars, a relay here, wiring harness there (I have one car with the trunk full of wiring harnesses from a few cars)
I wish you the best in your recovery, let us know how youre doing after the surgery bro. Stay positive and stay focused on being alive. Will power is a hell of a drug. Sending you good vibes bro.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote