Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you rate the TAPshift system?
5 - Exceptional 28 22.76%
4 45 36.59%
3 - Average 37 30.08%
2 8 6.50%
1 - Poor 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Question TAPshift Feedback

I am looking for feedback from Camaro owners that have the TAPshift automatic. Although I hate the thought of an automatic transmission in a Camaro, my next weekend car may be an automatic so my wife can enjoy it too.

I’m looking to hear what people think of the three modes (Sport, Manual, and Auto I think??) and how the car responds to the steering wheel mounted paddles. Is it fun to drive in “manual mode”? Does the car shift quickly and sharply, or does it lag?

If you’ve driven others with this type of transmission, how does TAPshift compare to other systems…such as Dodge’s Autostik?

Any problems or consistent failure issues?

Also, what to people who normally drive true manual cars think of the TAPshift?

I also will add a 1 to 5 poll, five being the best, so people can rate the transmission.

Thanks for the input!
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
I rate it poor. Only because the car never shifts when i want it to. Could be because I dont have sport mode. However, on rallies (we call them cruses lol) the tap shift system is useful because the car is always forced to downshift when you want it to.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
this thread is gonna get ugly lol, but here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I am looking for feedback from Camaro owners that have the TAPshift automatic. Although I hate the thought of an automatic transmission in a Camaro, my next weekend car may be an automatic so my wife can enjoy it too. okay...

I’m looking to hear what people think of the three modes (Sport, Manual, and Auto I think??) and how the car responds to the steering wheel mounted paddles. Is it fun to drive in “manual mode”? Does the car shift quickly and sharply, or does it lag?
It is no ferrari or lambo but the manual is fun to play around with, the paddle style of shifting is used on many super cars and I'm not saying it's the same but the method is so having it in the camaro is a joy to play with. also the sport mode is a cool feature that they added for getting a little more out the car...
If you’ve driven others with this type of transmission, how does TAPshift compare to other systems…such as Dodge’s Autostik?
Don't know.
Any problems or consistent failure issues?
Never had a problem or heard of one.
Also, what to people who normally drive true manual cars think of the TAPshift?
not trying to be rude but all they're gonna say is that you should "teach your wife how to drive stick" or ''the tapshift is nothing like the true manual''
I also will add a 1 to 5 poll, five being the best, so people can rate the transmission.
over all I give it a 5 from my experience because I really think it's cool how much there is in the auto and the different modes. I don't think it'll be ''boring'' ... the powers there and so are the mods just enjoy all it has to offer.
Thanks for the input!
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I rate it poor. Only because the car never shifts when i want it to. Could be because I dont have sport mode. However, on rallies (we call them cruses lol) the tap shift system is useful because the car is always forced to downshift when you want it to.
I completely forgot that the v6 has no sport mode and now I'm curious to know how different it is from a v8. I personally think it's decent pn the ss.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
this thread is gonna get ugly lol, but here we go...
What he said...
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
tap shift

this is what i got..no more steering wheel tap...
Attached Images

rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
I completely forgot that the v6 has no sport mode and now I'm curious to know how different it is from a v8. I personally think it's decent pn the ss.
V6 does have a Sport mode. Drop the stick from D to M and wellah. This mode is real cool even without using the paddle shifters! Especially on tight swearvy roads.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
yea, the v6 does have the tapshift. It's just that if you get the base ls, it isn't the same as it used to be in the older models. Now, in the base ls you only get to choose what gear the computer can't excede ( I think that's how it works). The 1LT and upper trims get the true tapshift where you can control the gears yourself.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Actually, all of the V6 models have sport mode with the exception of the 2LS from model years 2012-2013. You still get manual mode, but its a joke lol. Ive driven a 2012 Aston Martin, and the paddle shifters in that thing are real paddle shifters lol. When you pull the paddle, the car shifts. No lag, no BS, it just does. And the car doesnt automatically downshift either. I took off a few times in sixth gear lol, wont do that again.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
yea, the v6 does have the tapshift. It's just that if you get the base ls, it isn't the same as it used to be in the older models. Now, in the base ls you only get to choose what gear the computer can't excede ( I think that's how it works). The 1LT and upper trims get the true tapshift where you can control the gears yourself.
Well the tapshift system is pretty much the same, the computer still shifts for you, and there is still shift lag. Sport mode just changes the shift points, making the car feel more agressive/faster. The LS does not have sport mode, but the tapshift system still behaves the same way.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Well for what I use it for I would rate it excellent, but then again I only use it when in the mountains to prevent constant downshifts and upshifting when climbing long steep grades or having to use the brakes when descending those same grades...

To say it is as much fun as a manual I would have to rate it as no. But it is better than a total automatic.
Overall I give it a 4.
JMHO.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Shift lag, I'm glad they did not put that on my car, it shifts great and its lighting fast to me. And yes the V-6 does have the tap shifting but I can only speak for my car which is the 2012. Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Dan1028
Mechanical Engineer

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I would rate it a 4.

Generally speaking, my experiences:

(D): Slower shifts, positive gear engagements, pretty standard stuff. Transmission feels very tight/well put-together. Occasional clunky shift when transmission is cold.

(S): Faster, crisper shifts. Transmission holds gear at higher rpms longer. Still a solid feel, but I generally do not use this when the transmission is cold based on previous experiences with my Honda Prelude (see below)

(M): Operation speaks for itself. Tap and go. Multiple taps to quickly shift past intermediate gears. Shifts are crisp, minimal lag (if any) in my experience. Placement of the paddles is horrid. Paddles are wheel-mounted, making it cumbersome to find the right paddle in tight cornering maneuvers. Best used for long sweeping corners and straights, difficult in hairpins.

Previous car: 2001 Honda Prelude SportShift automatic. That car's shifter operation was at the shifter itself, forward/back for upshifts/downshifts, respectively. Most intuitive setup, period. Paddle shifters are generally loathsome and a gimmick when employed in passenger cars, in my opinion.

The 1997-1999 Preludes and various other Honda automatics were subjected to heavy scrutiny due to premature transmission failures for their selectable automatics. A faulty component was to blame, which was replaced for the 2000-2001 Prelude model years. The Prelude's automatic was very slow compared to the Camaro's. Dodge's side-to-side manumatic is a joke and doesn't hold a candle to the Camaro's.

I have no information regarding the C5 Camaro automatic transmission reliability.

LEFT HAND DRIVE
Dan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1028 View Post
I would rate it a 4.

Generally speaking, my experiences:

(D): Slower shifts, positive gear engagements, pretty standard stuff. Transmission feels very tight/well put-together. Occasional clunky shift when transmission is cold.

(S): Faster, crisper shifts. Transmission holds gear at higher rpms longer. Still a solid feel, but I generally do not use this when the transmission is cold based on previous experiences with my Honda Prelude (see below)

(M): Operation speaks for itself. Tap and go. Multiple taps to quickly shift past intermediate gears. Shifts are crisp, minimal lag (if any) in my experience. Placement of the paddles is horrid. Paddles are wheel-mounted, making it cumbersome to find the right paddle in tight cornering maneuvers. Best used for long sweeping corners and straights, difficult in hairpins.

Previous car: 2001 Honda Prelude SportShift automatic. That car's shifter operation was at the shifter itself, forward/back for upshifts/downshifts, respectively. Most intuitive setup, period. Paddle shifters are generally loathsome and a gimmick when employed in passenger cars, in my opinion.

The 1997-1999 Preludes and various other Honda automatics were subjected to heavy scrutiny due to premature transmission failures for their selectable automatics. A faulty component was to blame, which was replaced for the 2000-2001 Prelude model years. The Prelude's automatic was very slow compared to the Camaro's. Dodge's side-to-side manumatic is a joke and doesn't hold a candle to the Camaro's.

I have no information regarding the C5 Camaro automatic transmission reliability.
Great post. Thanks.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote