Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Mikef 2SS/RS
Nice...

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Diablo Predator or Speed Shop??

Looking for some advice...I want to get rid of AFM and I am wondering should I take it to a speed shop or buy a Diablo Predator and do it myself. Anyone here that has done it with the Predator...is it simple?? Speed shops want to put it on a dyno and charge upwards of $500. Plus, if I need to take it to the dealer for any warranty work, I need to go to back to the speed shop to return back to factory specs, than back to reprogram after the dealer visit. Looking for any feedback and advice.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
A local speed shop offered to do it for me for $20. If someone said it would be $500, they were quoting you for a complete tune.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef 2SS/RS View Post
Looking for some advice...I want to get rid of AFM and I am wondering should I take it to a speed shop or buy a Diablo Predator and do it myself. Anyone here that has done it with the Predator...is it simple?? Speed shops want to put it on a dyno and charge upwards of $500. Plus, if I need to take it to the dealer for any warranty work, I need to go to back to the speed shop to return back to factory specs, than back to reprogram after the dealer visit. Looking for any feedback and advice.

Thanks!!!
I know Gene was looking into this for the Orange Crush
Speed shop tune 400.00 said would yeild 15-25 hp
Predator tune 289 ( cost of predator) 20 hp
I would say save you money and go with the predator I can setyou up with one and have them instock. Pluse the predator give you the option to revert back to stock at anytime and adjust your tune over and over again for free
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
ohyeahjay

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
remember once its tuned don't go back for powertrain warrantee as it is gone. Now that is out of the way look up Diablo Lew for all your custom tuning needs, well respected tuner if you don't want to go with a dyno tune.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Mikef 2SS/RS
Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I know Gene was looking into this for the Orange Crush
Speed shop tune 400.00 said would yeild 15-25 hp
Predator tune 289 ( cost of predator) 20 hp
I would say save you money and go with the predator I can setyou up with one and have them instock. Pluse the predator give you the option to revert back to stock at anytime and adjust your tune over and over again for free
Hi Patrick,

Do you work at Patriot?? I used to work with Gene many years ago at Fred Beans. I actually bought the 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS convertible that you had at Patriot back in March. I just traded it for my 2010 SS. You carry the Diablo?? Let me know. I was told it wouldn't void any warranty because you can revert back to factory settings before bringing in to dealer.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Hi Patrick,

Do you work at Patriot?? I used to work with Gene many years ago at Fred Beans. I actually bought the 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS convertible that you had at Patriot back in March. I just traded it for my 2010 SS. You carry the Diablo?? Let me know. I was told it wouldn't void any warranty because you can revert back to factory settings before bringing in to dealer.
This is from what I've gathered over the months. v v v

That is false.

They can tell that your ECM has been flashed before if they want to.

So even though you go back to factory, you will still lose your warranty.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
This is from what I've gathered over the months. v v v

That is false.

They can tell that your ECM has been flashed before if they want to.

So even though you go back to factory, you will still lose your warranty.
Yep, just 'cause you put it back to stock, does not mean you have your warranty again.
But, just because you have an aftermarket tune, doesn't mean you lose your warranty.
Depends on the repair, and the service manager. If the dealer needs prior approval for a repair (like a large, costly repair) then they'll usually have to send a copy of your ECM programming in for evaluation, and thats when your warranty is in jeapordy. But if its a smaller repair, they may still cover it.

That being said, a custom in person tune (dyno or not) is always better than a mail order tune, or one from a tin can. One in which the tuner can customize depending on how your specific engine runs and reacts to many different circumstances.
Not saying that canned tunes are not good, they will give you power, be nice feeling, and may not pose any problems in the near future, but they may not be the safest, or the most powerful, since all engine are different.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
Quote:
Hi Patrick,

Yes Gene and I both do. We do carry the Diablos, both the Predator and the Trinity. You can revert back to stock but if something major happens GM can tell a tune was there based off the past history it logs but only if something major like the engine blows up will GM even want to look. Little stuff if you revert it back no one will ever notice. Give me or Gene a call and we can get you set up. BTW I hate the eagles too LOL
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
Mikef 2SS/RS
Nice...

In that case, I may just leave as is. Last thing I want to do is lose any warranty. I'll deal with AFM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
ohyeahjay

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
i think you can drive in sport mode and use the tap shift and AFM won't kick in but someone else will have to confirm this
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

Thanks!!!
Since you have an L99 Auto, it is advisable to go with an SCT X3 hand held tuner, with My Free Custom Tune for only 109.00 more than the Predator and you get Transmission Tuning support included.

Continue to purchase your speed parts from me and custom tunes for those parts will be free.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote