Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
rcinsolo

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 6 speed convertible
Shops in SoCal for shorty headers

Does anyone know of good reputable shops and estimate prices to have shorty headers installed? I am in the High Desert(inland empire). Sorry, if this has been asked before my phone will not allow me to do a forums search for some reason. Thank you in advance for any information. I would do it myself, but from what I gather the collector diameter is 3" and stock pipe is 2.5" and I have no welder nor welding experience.
rcinsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
CMS in Murrieta/Temecula is a reputable shop. Whose brand headers do you have? Not all shorties are CARB legal. There should be no welding involved. Do you have plug wire insulators? The GM exhaust manifold gaskets are probably the best.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
pheonix75

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Coupe
I would recommend CMS as well. Although, I installed my ARH shorties on my own. Just tons of patience and a big Rubber mallet to get them in on the passenger side/from underneath. They connected right up to the stock cats...which I swapped out for high flows.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
rcinsolo

Thanks for the responses. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. It has been a crazy few weeks I am up to $8,000 in the past month for repairs on my semi. Anyway I am looking at purchasing JBA shorties which if not mistaken are CARB.

Well, if they will direct mount I will do it myself. Was just assuming there would have to be welding done. I have had the car now for 4 months and haven't had a chance to jack it up and climb under and look around. Just found out why my car is so loud a couple weeks ago when I noticed the previous owner cut the mufflers off and ran 3" pipe straight back in their place. I love it!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I installed JBA shorties to my ARH catted mid-pipes with some assistance from my 18 yo son. Helps to have that second pair of hands! No welding but not sure what you might find under there.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
rcinsolo

I will have to order them and climb under once they come in. Just trying to plan my attack on the car first. Was thinking the trans dipstick and deeper trans pan would be my first projects. Wanting to keep the trans alive as long as possible before doing a 6L90 trans swap.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
If you're planning on heavily modifying the car just go long tubes unless turbos are in the works. The investment on shorties isn't worth the power in my opinion. I had JBA shorties.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
JSalt

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
And I wouldnt go to CMS for anything honestly but especially just a header install. It can be done easily by any shop that can unbolt and exhaust and rebolt it together
JSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
rcinsolo

Thanks for the input. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I was thinking shorties cause of the great state of California and their CARB junk. Eventually once I move to Oklahoma I am going long tubes and Cat deletes or High flows.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcinsolo View Post
Thanks for the input. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I was thinking shorties cause of the great state of California and their CARB junk. Eventually once I move to Oklahoma I am going long tubes and Cat deletes or High flows.
Save the money on shorties. You aren't going to see enough of a gain in performance to make them a hp:$$ worthy investment. Until you get into making more power with either a cam or blower you're not going to be really happy with the expense.

My car has been in and out of CMS for years for various improvements so that is where I would recommend if you want a performance shop to do it. If you are looking for a hand in doing them yourself, you may be able to find someone close to you that could give you a hand if you decide to go that way.

If it were me, I'd skip the shorty's for now if you are planning on moving to a more friendly location for modifications.