Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #57
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Sorry, I'm not digging it as well. Just my opinion.
I'm more of a fan of the Stainless Works exhaust.
Enjoy your car.
bad news. My exhaust is a stainless works marketed under the THR name. If you can tell the difference then kudos to you. Doc I'll try to get the catback weight for you tomorrow. Got to get the car cleaned up. Can't have Mrs. Tag riding in a dirty car tonight
Old 06-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #58
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Doc, the catback portion of the stock exhaust weighs 70lbs according to my bathroom scale. What you see in my pics is all welded together. Here's a pic of it sitting on a 2x4 saw horse so you can see the balance point. There is a lot of weight in those mufflers so it would be interesting to know what my aftermarket system weighs. Perhaps Tom Henry or Stainless works can weigh their catback system and give us a weight of it for comparison.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #59
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
bad news. My exhaust is a stainless works marketed under the THR name. If you can tell the difference then kudos to you. Doc I'll try to get the catback weight for you tomorrow. Got to get the car cleaned up. Can't have Mrs. Tag riding in a dirty car tonight
Is it really? Maybe it's just the recording? My bad. I'm a big fan of Stainless Works. They do a lot with the pro-touring scene.
Enjoy the car!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #60
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Doc, the catback portion of the stock exhaust weighs 70lbs according to my bathroom scale. What you see in my pics is all welded together. Here's a pic of it sitting on a 2x4 saw horse so you can see the balance point. There is a lot of weight in those mufflers so it would be interesting to know what my aftermarket system weighs. Perhaps Tom Henry or Stainless works can weigh their catback system and give us a weight of it for comparison.
Wow that's a lot of weight and those stock mufflers are huge! They must weigh about 25 lbs each! I'm gonna guess with the Loudmouth 2 or something equivalent you're gonna save at least half that weight for those alone. Are the stock exhaust manifolds cast iron? The headers should be a lot lighter.

This is good info, thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

The reason why I keep asking for weights everywhere is I'm looking at every reasonable way to reduce car weight to increase performance. If I can reduce the weight by 181 lbs that's the equivalent of adding 20 hp.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #61
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
I'm surprised they don't weight more.

Anyway - to each his own. I don't like the sound of these at all. And the TH boys will hate me for this, but.... what's with the fit & finish there on the cans? The pipes look great. Nice smooth bends, no bender marks. But the cans look like something you can get at Speedy. If I'm paying that much for a system I think it should look a bit better than that. I don't expect full polished but come on. The huge Borla can under my truck has a much better appearance.

Anyway - as I said, to each his own.
Congrats!

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #62
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Hey Mr. Wonderful - ha !

Thanks for posting all of your great pics and info in this thread, they are really helpful and just plain cool. (I am installing the SW system on my car today - so really, Thank You!)

I personally like your stock system on the saw horses in your back yard. I think you just need to move them permanently into your front yard and call it "Iron Horse" or "Stainless Horse" and tell everyone you spent hours on that fine piece of artwork.

Don't worry about the naysayers. EVERYONE has an opinion. If you had wanted the stock sound you would have kept the stock exhaust. I think your car sounds excellent. A performance car should have a performance exhaust. Nice.

Now you and TAG can go have some fun.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #63
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Is it really? Maybe it's just the recording? My bad. I'm a big fan of Stainless Works. They do a lot with the pro-touring scene.
Enjoy the car!!
Two of the videos on the sight were done with my camera. The first one was an automatic. Probably a different sound cause it's a different engine and was taken indoors. Tags car is a full headers to tip system so again different sound plus different camera and conditions. Like I said mine is louder than stock and yet the neighbors won't be complaining about it either. No drone on the highway so overall I'm really happy with it. Of. Course since I got that I couldn't complain when the wife ordered that custom shower door the other day. What's wrong with a curtain? Must be estrogen
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #64
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Two of the videos on the sight were done with my camera. The first one was an automatic. Probably a different sound cause it's a different engine and was taken indoors. Tags car is a full headers to tip system so again different sound plus different camera and conditions. Like I said mine is louder than stock and yet the neighbors won't be complaining about it either. No drone on the highway so overall I'm really happy with it. Of. Course since I got that I couldn't complain when the wife ordered that custom shower door the other day. What's wrong with a curtain? Must be estrogen
LOL!!!
Yeah, the women have their toys and we have ours!!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #65
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

All three kids gone and the wife and I hit the road for a getaway week. Reached 1500 miles on a 2 lane country highway. Went to pass a car and dropped it down to third. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Holy moly. Someone tell fbodfather my wife is demanding an oh shit handle for the passenger side. Took the exit for hocking hills state park area. Twisting curving hilly roads with 55mph limit. Sooooooo much fun. Gps took us on a single lane cowpath. Dodging downed trees. Washouts and spitting gravel. Rosie is filthy. Wife says if i post pics you will all come after me wash is going to have to wait. Going to look for some good Camaro photo ops. Already got a third gen and some old 50's or so rusted trucks scoped out for companion shots. Btw during the massage today I got a helga and MaryMac got a heidi. I think she scheduled it that way.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #66
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
All three kids gone and the wife and I hit the road for a getaway week. Reached 1500 miles on a 2 lane country highway. Went to pass a car and dropped it down to third. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Holy moly. Someone tell fbodfather my wife is demanding an oh shit handle for the passenger side. Took the exit for hocking hills state park area. Twisting curving hilly roads with 55mph limit. Sooooooo much fun. Gps took us on a single lane cowpath. Dodging downed trees. Washouts and spitting gravel. Rosie is filthy. Wife says if i post pics you will all come after me wash is going to have to wait. Going to look for some good Camaro photo ops. Already got a third gen and some old 50's or so rusted trucks scoped out for companion shots. Btw during the massage today I got a helga and MaryMac got a heidi. I think she scheduled it that way.
Ummm.... I was gonna ask for pics but it's already sounding NSFW lol. I'm guessing a helga and heidi isn't some kinda mixed drink. At least she didn't schedule you for a thor and heidi hehehe

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #67
jmcbeth
THR 2SS/RS Supercharged

Drives: 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
From the pics, it looks like they were able to remove the stock exhaust without cutting it up. Is this true? I am planning the same conversion, but want to save the stock system for the future (40 years from now when these cars are classics).
jmcbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #68
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
do a vid of it under a load. want to hear how it sound while going down the street.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #69
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Yes bolt off bolt on. Will try to do a video under power if I can get the wife to agree to let me leave her on side of road. Tons of deer here. Car in front of me made one do some gymnastics and take a nap last night. We almost hit two calves. Couldn't find a house to tell the farmer he had a broken fence line. Hearded them back with the horn and a few revs. Will start a more appropriate photo thread when I get back
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #70
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

270 miles tonight. Pulled in to my brothers at midnight. Heading further south in the morning to my buddies place to start the rally stripe process. He recently painted a Z06 for a guy so he bought extra gm black to do my stripes with. He's a mustang guy but I've seen enough of his work to trust him. Besides he can't freaking believe GM built a car that looks this good. I'll take pics of the process and maybe if you Ohio guys like his work I can set you up. Post pics when I get home

Last edited by Jamie Mac; 08-04-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Jamie Mac is offline   Reply With Quote