Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #183
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
I have the layout for the bracket I used, if any one is interested, I could email it to you or I could have it made up here on our water jet.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #184
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I'd be interested. I'll pm you my email address.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #185
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I have the layout for the bracket I used, if any one is interested, I could email it to you or I could have it made up here on our water jet.
I'm definitely interested! PM sent.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #186
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
I think it makes it easier to access the reservoir if you need to siphon it out and refill it.

One of the key features of my setup is that the hose from the Wildwood reservoir is continually pitched down to the firewall with no sag.
Plus mounting it high keeps as far away from the headers when they get red hot at WOT on track. I intend to wrap mine to keep it cooler.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #187
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Plus mounting it high keeps as far away from the headers when they get red hot at WOT on track. I intend to wrap mine to keep it cooler.
Good point!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 AM   #188
Firefighter

Now you guys have me thinking I need to make a shield to protect the clutch and brake reservoirs.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #189
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
Quote:
PM sent
Old 06-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #190
Firefighter

This stuff just got here...
Old 10-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #191
camguynj

FINALLY replaced my small 1.5oz GTO reservoir (got tired of flushing it every month) with a Wilwood 4oz reservoir. Had to get a different bracket (slvr5thgen made it for me ) as the Wilwood bracket holes are different than the GTO bracket. slvr5thgen's bracket came black so I painted it Rust Oleum Aluminum. Looks almost eom. Very Pleased. Been on over a week and bone dry no seepage

TIP - if you get either a Wilwood or Tilton reservoir (they're both the same except for different size nipples) make sure to put a thin layer of Parker SUPER O-ring lube on the o-ring to prevent any seepage. Then push the reservoir onto the base firmly (no twisting!) making sure the reservoir is fully seated on the base. Also VERY IMPORTANT make sure the top loop of the clamp is over the top of the o-ring and the botton loop is below the o-ring.

fyi... the mounting holes are 9/32" and are 1-3/16" apart at their centers. These measurements are the same for either a Wilwood or Tilton 4oz reservoir
Attached Images

Last edited by camguynj; 10-20-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:29 AM   #192
TheBrightSide

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS coupe (MT)
Hey, so I did order the Wilwood 4 oz brake fluid reservoir, but I’m probably going to have an issue mounting… I already do have the Gen5DIY/JDP Pontiac GTO clutch fluid reservoir, which the Wilwood bracket won’t be matching up to. I made sure that since the master cylinder hoses from before kept a 3/8” inch diameter, I would buy a setup that would use the same diameter hose on the clutch fluid reservoir itself.

I also looked around at what other setups wouldn’t be as complicated (risk of leaking, more parts than necessary, etc.), and I came across some tractor brake fluid reservoirs. I specifically bought a Sparex brake fluid reservoir, P/N #64375 (Zector P/N #67112628), which looks to be quite large, kinda around the 7 oz Wilwood/Tilton brake fluid reservoirs that people in this forum ran.

My concern is that since they require so much fluid (clutch reservoirs typically barely need 2-3 oz tops for cars and motorcycles), not filling to the top or near the top, will have the brake fluid shift around. I think with such large reservoirs (5+ fl oz), you’d have to be running a full reservoir, or at least 3/4 (75%) of the capacity.

I mean, after all, isn’t the point of having excess fluid, so that the clutch dust contamination from (concentric) slave cylinder/throwout bearing won’t contaminate ALL of the brake fluid nearly as fast? I recently had to replace the brake/clutch fluid in my GTO clutch reservoir every 4-6 weeks tops, but also realized I had used an inferior brake line hose (which I swapped out for a nice Gates one), which contributed to the breakdown of the rubber hose itself and darkening and contaminating the clutch fluid even further.
TheBrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:47 PM   #193
camguynj

A non-EDPM hose would definitely introduce contaminants into the fluid as the fluid will disintegrate regular rubber.

I’d fill the reservoir to the fill line as you don’t want a lack of fluid shifting around which could potentially cause a loss of pressure. What bracket are you using to hold the weight of the fluid in that larger reservoir?