Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
doctorwill

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss, 2015 Z06,
Pfadt lowering springs-Alignment?

Just installed my Pfadt lowering springs 1.2in and sway bar...Love it...Thanks Chase from Apex for the hook up...

Question: When you get the car align, can any shop do it? It seems that places like Firestone, NTB, and Sears do not do cars that have been lowered....IS there anything special that needs to be done???

Question 2: Brushing Timed - No places have a clue about this procedure...IS it important to do? Who can do this for me?

Thanks for all the imput

Will
doctorwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwill View Post
Just installed my Pfadt lowering springs 1.2in and sway bar...Love it...Thanks Chase from Apex for the hook up...

Question: When you get the car align, can any shop do it? It seems that places like Firestone, NTB, and Sears do not do cars that have been lowered....IS there anything special that needs to be done???

Question 2: Brushing Timed - No places have a clue about this procedure...IS it important to do? Who can do this for me?

Thanks for all the imput

Will
Same problem out here. Performance shop for alignment but anyone can do a basic by the book align I think, or give them specs from Pfadt or Pedders if you want a performance alignment.
Timing bushings not many know of this and I'm talking performance shops also! Bushing need to be reclocked when the height is lowered to give best ride and not wear the bushings alot. I hear it is not a absolute must but recommended for the above reasons I mentioned. I'm doing springs,align and bushings timed this weekend so Guess I'll find out.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It doesn't matter what brand coils are installed on your 5th Gen the pocedure for Bush Timing and Alignment are the same. Any shop should be able to do both the bush timing and alignment. Print off these instructions and take them with you to the shop. Some shops won't want to be bothered. It is good you find out at the front end. Other shops will be happy to follow the instructions and will just charge for the additional time. Make sure you tell them that you want hard copies of the before and after numbers.

Bush Timing

Step 1. Lift the car on a two post lift and raise it.

Step 2. Loosen the following bolts/nuts:
Front:
---Inner Control Arm Bushing
---Inner Radius Rod
Rear:
---Trailing Arm Bushings (both ends)
---Toe Rod Bushings (both ends)
---Lower Control Arm Bushings (Inner)
---Upper Control Arm Bushings (Rearward)
---Lower Strut Bushings

Step 3.
Lower the car and drive it around the parking lot SLOWLY and on to the alignment lift.

Step 4.
With the weight of the car on the wheels tighten all of the nuts/bolts to spec.

Step 5.
Align the car at the new ride height.

Alignment

Front and Rear Bolt Torque Values

NOTE: Torque specifications that read XX torque value and XX degrees are usually TTY and require replacement of the bolt, nut or both. If replacement parts are not available from GM the minimum acceptable torque will be those values stated along with a liberal application of a thread locker i.e. LocTite.

Camaro FE4/5/6 (ZL1) Rear Suspension front the rear

Camaro FE3 Rear Suspension from the right rear
Below you can see the FE3 style rear sway bar that mounts inboard on the control arms.

Camaro FE3 Rear Suspension from the front

Camaro Front Suspension from the front.

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
How crucial is it that this be done? The bush timing that is. I am putting in springs, sways, toe rods, trailing arms.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
JusticePete

Mission critical if you are doing the job right. Having said that more than half the shops that install lowering coils never heard of it. Does that mean Pedders has exceptionally high standards?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC123 View Post
How crucial is it that this be done? The bush timing that is. I am putting in springs, sways, toe rods, trailing arms.
You are installing some urethane Pdfat bushes that have free spinning urethane ferules. Those do not need to be timed. The critical bushes that will require timing are the front inner control arm, the front radius / brake tension arm, the rear lower inner control arm and the rear upper control arm bushes.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
NDC123
The Machinist

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 IBM silver rally
Once again, thanks Pete.
American Racing Headers w/high-flow cats and x-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-back mufflers, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI intake, ADM race scoop, RX Catch Can, PEDDERS Street Z package-ZL1 sways-XA Coilovers, PFADT trailing arms-toe rods, RPM 3:91 gears, RPM Stage V Trans, ADM diff bushings, tune by ADM, and still bustin' knuckles!
NDC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwill View Post

Thanks for all the imput

Will
Thank you for your order and the props. Pete nailed your questions so there is no need to cover that territory again. Enjoy it!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
I need to find a good shop in my area that will time my bushing and realign me any way for u guys to help me out finding a place?
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I'm in Northern CT on the Mass border and can help.

We also have 3J's in Brooklyn, Kaltech on LI, and Cartek in NJ
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Is kaltech still open? I'm in Suffolk county if I took the ferry over around how long to your shop?
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
You know i'm not certain about Kaltech,

the alignment shop we use is about 1:15 from the 95 - 91 interchange.

I would be there to do the job.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Crazycoot

Drives: '13 ZL1 M6
Sorry for the ignorance but what is the difference between fe2, fe3, fe4, fe5, etc? I have a 2011 SS with 1inch lowering springs. What chart and what numbers should i use?
Crazycoot is offline   Reply With Quote