Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #1121
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
Ofer, Can you tell me what the length is for the harness from the hud to the switch. If it's not to much trouble. I'm going to start making mine. thanks
Hi i go 12" from the new harness for the HUD connector and 12" for the switch that way you have room to pull the switch out of the dash, like the OEM headlight switch, hope you get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
Another succesful HUD install! A lot of work but not too bad. One person can do it but the dash is bulky and aukward to handle. For those of you that are planning to do this mod, remember to route the speaker and light sensor wires before reinstallation of the dash. I didn't and this caused a more work than necessary.
This is probably my favorite mod of all. Ever since I drove a Vette with a HUD I wanted one.
Thanks to Ofer for starting this and also the harness. And thanks to Patrick for supplying the HUD kit.
I added the tools you need in the op .
Quote:
Last part is the wire for the Light sensor This you need the string from the trunk Remember the concept car.
The speaker wire is not that hard you can get it in from the instrument side with you arm.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #1122
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I can relate to the worries about this. My first advice would be, take any pix of HUD images posted on the internet with a big grain of salt. HUD clarity is a big function of viewing angle... which is hard already to get right just with the human head/eye, but even more dicey when waving a digital camera around (and then there's the question of where the camera's focusing, to boot, as mentioned by 2SSRS herein).

I have another data point for you all though. I'm a big fan of HUD's... I've been driving HUD-equipped Grand Prix's since 1997. Currently we have two Grand Prix GXP's in our family, both with the HUDs. My wife drives the 'junky' one which has 110k miles and mine is much more clean with original HUD glass and all. Last year we got her windshield replaced due to a rock strike. I'd seen a lot of debate over the do-you-need-HUD-glass over on ClubGP.com over the years, and had a non-HUD windshield on another of my Prix's before without issue. So we got a non-HUD windshield. I drive her car frequently, such as on long vacation trips. I have to say, I can barely tell any difference between hers and mine. Maybe 10% more blurry. (When any difference is detectable, it actually shows up as a faint second-image or edge shadow, not as fuzzyness or blurriness). My advice for anyone retrofitting HUD to their Camaro - try the HUD FIRST before spending a bunch of $$ on a new windshield.

JM02
BlueStreak,
Good point and I agree what may be considered too blurry to one person maybe livable to another. I have driven a Corvette with a HUD install without the HUD windshield and mine which came with HUD from the factory after which I would have to have the correct windshield. But that is just me.
I would agree install see if you can live with it and if not install the correct glass for HUD. If so you saved a few bucks.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #1123
Matts Electric

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
It would be cool to add boost,afr,fuel pressure,ect to a HUD. Can it be tweaked?
Matts Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #1124
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
if you can hack the gm bcm and add imput's to the computer harness then yes other wise no sorry
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #1125
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Hi Ofer, I got it I think. So the 2ft you mentioned is just the legs or harness coming off the main harness you built to the hud and switch. if I understand what is the length of the main harness also. looking for a total distance. I'd rather make the harness now and not when the dash is out to measure. I hope you understand what I mean. thanks Dan
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #1126
less2010

Need help,trying to remove steering wheel airbag to remove steering wheel,manual says there are release tabs on each side of wheel,but can not find release for either side.I have a 2ss auto.
less2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #1127
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
There are two holes on the back side of the steering wheel. One on left, one on right. Insert a small flat-head screwdriver in and feel around for a metal bar that moves. Once you find that you push it in and it releases that side. Rinse and repeat for the other side. Off comes the airbag.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #1128
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
finally my hud is in, i think i am the first nyc hud conversion although i am not a diyer but a experienced installer/mechanic. it did take me about 5-6 hours for the complete job for the first run, i was learning about the camaro interior while i was doing the conversion it was a nice experierence. the only down fall is the 2 slices on my hands from the razor sharp metal in the dash other than that it wasnt too bad, thank you so much to ofer and his perfect harness and for patrickt for getting me the parts i will be posting some tear down pics either tonight or tommorow. getting a finished pic is kinda hard since my camera craped out and i was using my cell phone
Attached Images

Last edited by camaro4mybday; 12-07-2010 at 05:43 PM.
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #1129
less2010

thanks Darth,I will try that.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #1130
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
There are two holes on the back side of the steering wheel. One on left, one on right. Insert a small flat-head screwdriver in and feel around for a metal bar that moves. Once you find that you push it in and it releases that side. Rinse and repeat for the other side. Off comes the airbag.
Hi thanks for helping out with info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
finally my hud is in, i think i am the first nyc hud conversion although i am not a diyer but a experienced installer/mechanic. it did take me about 5-6 hours for the complete job for the first run, i was learning about the camaro interior while i was doing the conversion it was a nice experierence. the only down fall is the 2 slices on my hands from the razor sharp metal in the dash other than that it wasnt too bad, thank you so much to ofer and his perfect harness and for patrickt for getting me the parts i will be posting some tear down pics either tonight or tommorow. getting a finished pic is kinda hard since my camera craped out and i was using my cell phone
Glad you got it done and i know any one in NY can count on help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by less2010 View Post
thanks Darth,I will try that.
Like Darth said insert the flat head till you fill metal and push if it moves push all the way in, then pull on the air bag on that side it takes time.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #1131
lionssfan

Quote:
Need help,trying to remove steering wheel airbag to remove steering wheel,manual says there are release tabs on each side of wheel,but can not find release for either side.I have a 2ss auto.
I did one recently, It was a pain the first time. Once you find the right holes not to bad. I would take the flat blade of the small screw driver face up, not facing your chest when in the hole. The screw driver will make good contact with the sturdy rod that needs to be collapsed this way. Or the oposite cutting end of a drill bit (longer the better). The service manual has a terrible explainations on the hole location. There not the holes in the very back of the steering wheel like some. but on the side, with the wheel straight ahead the holes are 9:00 and 3:00 position, between the plastic and the back of the steering wheel vinyl pad. The hole is about 1/4". You will make contact with the rod going in 1 1/2". And you will make good contact if you apply slight pressure forward with the part of the screw driver thats out of the hole. And push in collasping the rod. only apply slight pressure pulling up the air bag if any at all, it usually pops up on it's own when released. Do the same for the other side. sorry for the long explaination, but this might help cut down on the time for removal of the bag.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #1132
less2010

thank you all for such info,now I will be able to pass it on to others in my area.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #1133
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
I did one recently, It was a pain the first time. Once you find the right holes not to bad. I would take the flat blade of the small screw driver face up, not facing your chest when in the hole. The screw driver will make good contact with the sturdy rod that needs to be collapsed this way. Or the oposite cutting end of a drill bit (longer the better). The service manual has a terrible explainations on the hole location. There not the holes in the very back of the steering wheel like some. but on the side, with the wheel straight ahead the holes are 9:00 and 3:00 position, between the plastic and the back of the steering wheel vinyl pad. The hole is about 1/4". You will make contact with the rod going in 1 1/2". And you will make good contact if you apply slight pressure forward with the part of the screw driver thats out of the hole. And push in collasping the rod. only apply slight pressure pulling up the air bag if any at all, it usually pops up on it's own when released. Do the same for the other side. sorry for the long explaination, but this might help cut down on the time for removal of the bag.
Hi thank you for helping out, and it was nice to speak to you on the phone.

Quote:
thank you all for such info,now I will be able to pass it on to others in my area.

Here are some pic i used from a member that gos by the name of techsupport.

And on the next two you see what your trying to push.

Thanks for all the help C5.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #1134
less2010

Anyone out there who know how the hood release handle is removed from dash,thanks