Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #239
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
iPhone Wong allow multiple attachments on one post. :

Here it is with n64 as video source.
Attached Images

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #240
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How you get that?
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #241
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagliaro View Post
This is what my back up camera is producing for a picture. Black and white, not centered.

I hooked up my n64 to the video input to see if its a problem there and it checked out to work fine so it's a problem with the harness or camera after that point .
That's the same issue i had as well, I ended up swapping the Red & Black wires in the Video connector that plugs into the myLink. Fixed the issue for me.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #242
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
This is what my back up camera is producing for a picture. Black and white, not centered.

I hooked up my n64 to the video input to see if its a problem there and it checked out to work fine so it's a problem with the harness or camera after that point .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoChaser View Post
That's the same issue i had as well, I ended up swapping the Red & Black wires in the Video connector that plugs into the myLink. Fixed the issue for me.
Wait I'm not sure I follow. Mylink end so behind the faceplate? Those were pre- connected by gen5diy as its part of the new harnesses.

Can I swap at camera end?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #243
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
How you get that?
I used the reverse camera input to connect my n64. ( video only but audio can be done with a cord that takes stereo to mono auxiliary input but that's not really what we want to do with our reverse cams is it?

It was purely to test the camera input due to my error that shadochaser also got.

Shadow I can switch it at this level?
Attached Images

Last edited by Pagliaro; 05-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #244
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
I used the reverse camera input to connect my n64. ( video only but audio can be done with a cord that takes stereo to mono auxiliary input but that's not really what we want to do with our reverse cams is it?

It was purely to test the camera input due to my error that shadochaser also got.

Shadow I can switch it at this level?

You could switch it at that end, but it might be easier to see about flipping the wires in the camera harness at the rear?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #245
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
You could switch it at that end, but it might be easier to see about flipping the wires in the camera harness at the rear?
I'm going to switch the input in my last reply before this one as that's what I believe shadochaser was describing. Too dark and late to try it now.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #246
Toasty

Quote:
I'm going to switch the input in my last reply before this one as that's what I believe shadochaser was describing. Too dark and late to try it now.

the way the RCA connector is wired is actually correct, as proved by your test with the game console. the Camera wiring is what's "wrong" but if you're only ever going to have that camera connected, it doesnt matter where you flip the wires.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #247
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

Drives: 2SS Aqua
MyLink install 2010 Success story
Yea, it’s in and working. 14 Hr later but done. Why so long. Read on.

First. If you play CD’s in the old unit. Take it out BEFORE you remove the old unit. Yea. I didn’t. I had to dissemble the old silver box to get it out because I was not going to uninstall the new unit just for the CD.

Extra things I recommend you get prior to starting the project. Coffee, Extra T-Taps, Wire if you have a 2010 and you want the door lock switch, and extra zip ties To pretty up all the cables and two moving blankets one for the hood and one for the roof. Your going to want to put your parts somewhere. and the most important a Knee pad Name:  IMG_0470.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  193.4 KB

For the 2010 you have the external GPS antenna to install. I put mine up behind the Mirror and ran the wire inside of the head liner to the passenger side. Down behind the air bag in the door frame, above the glove box and zip tied the extra slack there. Don’t pull to hard on the headliner just enough to tuck the wire behind it.
Name:  IMG_0465.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  135.2 KBName:  IMG_0466.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_0467.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  130.6 KBName:  IMG_0468.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  146.5 KB

Why so long. Well it wasn’t because the instructions were clear. My laptop would not fast forward thru the videos. If I stop the video well then I would have to replay it from the beginning. Again and again and again. There are things in the videos that are not in the written documentation so I had to pay attention. Then right off the bat I broke my glove box cable holder. Don’t worry I have a fix and the fix works well. So if any of you broke off the plastic tab that holds the retractable cable to the glove box don’t worry. Get yourself a nail and cut off both ends until its about 1.25 inches. The nail goes into the grove where the plastic tabbie thing broke off
First fix. Done. Name:  IMG_0455.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  69.4 KBName:  IMG_0457.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  98.6 KBName:  IMG_0459.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  177.2 KBName:  IMG_0459.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  177.2 KBName:  IMG_0461.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  202.5 KBName:  IMG_0462.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  158.8 KBName:  IMG_0463.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  189.4 KB

Not wanting to start the wiring video over again (and I should have) I installed the White wire in the wrong end. Now what. How am I going to fix this. Out came the dremel and I carved the
pin out of the hole and inserted it in the correct slot
2ed fix done

Last edited by Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua; 05-26-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #248
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

The other end didn’t have clips either. So I zipped tied it. fixed that one too.
4th fix done
Name:  IMG_0458.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  200.2 KB
The worst, well in MY 2010 2ss the NAV face plate did not fit. As hard as I tried it just would not sit flush on the passenger side. It was 1/8 inch out. What the heck Hu. So I took out the silver box. And all the wires off the silver box and just tried to fit the faceplate. Nope won’t go. So at least I know it has nothing to do with the silver box. What did I do? I put chalk all over the back side of my face plate and tried to fit it again. I pushed and wiggled so I knew I would get chalk transfer on where the problem was. Found it. sorry no photos. It was the new connector on that side. The old face plate didn’t have it. It’s the connector that connects the silver box to the faceplate with the blue cable. The dash was just too narrow. Out came the dremel. Uh I did not want to do it but it would not fit otherwise. I cut in to the passenger side of dash where the connector was hitting. (Hence the use of the chalk.) Cut all the way thru. Can’t see it when the faceplate is installed so what difference did it make. A Lot. The face plate fits wonderfully now.
5th fix done and a working MyLink. YEA…

Rear view camera install for the MyLink. Not so good. I routed the video camera wire fine. Cut “UH” the hole in the rear bumper for the camera. (Can you tell I hate cutting my car.) the camera fits perfect. But its BLACK on a ABM car. Nope got to fix that. So I masked the Lens and paint it with two coats of ABM and two coats of Clear coat. Looking good. T-Taped the backup lights for power. Black to Black cause Black is ground and Tan to Red because well it was the other wire there. Tested for voltage, in reverse 17 Volts. Kind of High but not unusable. Plugged everything in and what No Picture. Now what. I Don’t know and I am stopping for the Night. I will debug it tomorrow. I try another RCA camera, Hopping it’s not the MyLink. If it’s the camera. I will see about getting it traded for another. Dam its painted, hope that won’t matter.

Then I have the new Mirror to install. Oh what fun. But that will have to wait till next weekend.

14 Hr just for the MyLink but WELL Worth it. go slow. Make sure your putting the pins in the right spots. Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

hope some of this helps. ya.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #249
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua View Post
The other end didn’t have clips either. So I zipped tied it. fixed that one too.
4th fix done
Attachment 631982
The worst, well in MY 2010 2ss the NAV face plate did not fit. As hard as I tried it just would not sit flush on the passenger side. It was 1/8 inch out. What the heck Hu. So I took out the silver box. And all the wires off the silver box and just tried to fit the faceplate. Nope won’t go. So at least I know it has nothing to do with the silver box. What did I do? I put chalk all over the back side of my face plate and tried to fit it again. I pushed and wiggled so I knew I would get chalk transfer on where the problem was. Found it. sorry no photos. It was the new connector on that side. The old face plate didn’t have it. It’s the connector that connects the silver box to the faceplate with the blue cable. The dash was just too narrow. Out came the dremel. Uh I did not want to do it but it would not fit otherwise. I cut in to the passenger side of dash where the connector was hitting. (Hence the use of the chalk.) Cut all the way thru. Can’t see it when the faceplate is installed so what difference did it make. A Lot. The face plate fits wonderfully now.
5th fix done and a working MyLink. YEA…

Rear view camera install for the MyLink. Not so good. I routed the video camera wire fine. Cut “UH” the hole in the rear bumper for the camera. (Can you tell I hate cutting my car.) the camera fits perfect. But its BLACK on a ABM car. Nope got to fix that. So I masked the Lens and paint it with two coats of ABM and two coats of Clear coat. Looking good. T-Taped the backup lights for power. Black to Black cause Black is ground and Tan to Red because well it was the other wire there. Tested for voltage, in reverse 17 Volts. Kind of High but not unusable. Plugged everything in and what No Picture. Now what. I Don’t know and I am stopping for the Night. I will debug it tomorrow. I try another RCA camera, Hopping it’s not the MyLink. If it’s the camera. I will see about getting it traded for another. Dam its painted, hope that won’t matter.

Then I have the new Mirror to install. Oh what fun. But that will have to wait till next weekend.

14 Hr just for the MyLink but WELL Worth it. go slow. Make sure your putting the pins in the right spots. Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

hope some of this helps. ya.
I found for the blue connector between the head unit and face plate, The issue was not where the connector was, but rather the wire running up to it - it kept getting pinched and keeping the faceplate from seating. I fixed it easily by pulling the silver box out just a bit, and fishing the wire out along side of it, above the lower screw, so it had a straight shot to the connector.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #250
Sweet Caroline 2SS Aqua

I thought it could be the wire as well. I moved the wire from going under the silver box to the right side. still could not get it flush. So I took everything out of the hole and dry fitted just the faceplate and had the gap so I reluctantly cut. Your fix was easier than mine. I just wanted everyone to try fitting the faceplate so they would know before hand if it a wire issue or a dremel issue is all.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #251
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
the way the RCA connector is wired is actually correct, as proved by your test with the game console. the Camera wiring is what's "wrong" but if you're only ever going to have that camera connected, it doesnt matter where you flip the wires.
I think that point will be the easiest to switch. Also the test only goes to show that the female end is wired correctly.
As far as I know the camera I got from Gen5DIY is unmodified straight from a GM source so those pins should be in their OEM positions.
I did look at the camera side harness both on the Camera and on the run cable that goes from the camera to the mylink but couldn't figure out how to remove and swap the pins.

Last edited by Pagliaro; 05-27-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #252
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sounds like you had as much fun as me with this install. I wasn't quite 14 hours but I also haven't cut out the camera yet
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote