Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
New Camaro - Speed Limiter and Traction Control

OK, I just ordered a new 2SS/RS.
Let me start with the 2 items below that truly need to be changed. I am sure we will need to go to the aftermarket for this, but I hope someone is working on it NOW! I am sure you will have others.

#1 My other 2 Chevy's top out at 97 MPH. The speed limiter MUST go all together (just increasing it is not an option)

#2 The traction control needs to default to OFF!
maxdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I think someone had posted that the limiter is set to 150mph.
But removing it shouldn't be difficult as well as the traction control.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Get a tuner for the computer. Those should be easy issues to fix. A lot of people feel the same way as this is a performance car.

For a second there, I was worried this would be a thread about something not being good enough for you with regard the car.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Nothing MUST be changed. Both of your "musts" can be done with a cheap tuner.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdmax View Post
OK, I just ordered a new 2SS/RS.
Let me start with the 2 items below that truly need to be changed. I am sure we will need to go to the aftermarket for this, but I hope someone is working on it NOW! I am sure you will have others.

#1 My other 2 Chevy's top out at 97 MPH. The speed limiter MUST go all together (just increasing it is not an option)

#2 The traction control needs to default to OFF!
Scott had mentioned ealier that the base LS would be limited to a speed significantly south of 155 mph, including a reference to tires and speed ratings.
Motor Trend tested an LT/RS with uplevel wheels/tires (Pirelli P Zero as on the SS?) and published that Chevrolet told them that car was limited at 155 mph.

Traction control will never come in the off position from the factory because of the potential for insurance issues...
SLP makes an easy-to-install module for 4th Gens that does reverse the factory default and it's pretty easyto remove the speed limiter/alter shift point etc. with a programmer or the right software.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Last edited by garfin; 11-04-2008 at 05:41 AM.
garfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thanks for the responses. I hope there will be a quality tuner out for the Camaro SS soon after we get delivery. I will just need to plan on the tuner as the first aftermarket accessory. As far as I am concerned this would make it the perfect car period!
maxdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
i don't think u can tune the traction control to default 'off' but i know someone on my other forum that rewired the button/circuitry...i'm not sure if it will work the same on our camaros but i can probably find the DIY if u want it
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
A couple of things.........

The speed is limited based on the tire rating put on the car at the factory...it's done as a safety measure. (ever have a blowout at 100? ....trust me, you don't want to experience it.......)

...which begs the question: where are you going to go to drive the car over 150mph??? (and -- next question -- and I don't mean this to be a put-down -- but have you been thru an in-depth defensive/performance driving school.....I say this because many cars can go fast - but we tend to forget that you cannot override the rules of physics........)

As to defaulting the traction control to 'off' -- my question is "why?"
It's there for a reason - and the biggest one I can think of is to protect the driver from accidents. (.....and I should also add -- '...and anyone unfortunate enough to be near said driver when they do something to lose control of their vehicle.........)
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
You can turn the Traction Control off... Just like in the Vette. Name:  smiley_slapacrossroom.gif
Views: 10960
Size:  13.5 KB

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
My rear tires like the traction control button to be left alone.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #11
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

The speed is limited based on the tire rating put on the car at the factory...it's done as a safety measure. (ever have a blowout at 100? ....trust me, you don't want to experience it.......)

...which begs the question: where are you going to go to drive the car over 150mph??? (and -- next question -- and I don't mean this to be a put-down -- but have you been thru an in-depth defensive/performance driving school.....I say this because many cars can go fast - but we tend to forget that you cannot override the rules of physics........)

It's there for a reason - and the biggest one I can think of is to protect the driver from accidents. (.....and I should also add -- '...and anyone unfortunate enough to be near said driver when they do something to lose control of their vehicle.........)

Well said .. my thoughts exactly ..

Crowley
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
You can turn the Traction Control off... Just like in the Vette. Attachment 10127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Well said .. my thoughts exactly ..

Crowley
There ya' go. Thanks for not making this another complaint thread

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
glad your in KY and im in WA so i wont be around the crash that happens when you have the TC off and hit some gravel......
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Go visit the Corvette Forum and see how many folks swear by the current version of TC/AH as it's implemented in the vette. I know it saved my butt twice at Road America during HSDE's. And unless you were in over your head it never got in the way, and it was nice knowing it was there should I over drive my skills.

Why any one would want the TC in the OFF mode upon start up is beyond me. In the vette you can turn off the TC and leave the AH on (called Competition Mode) or you can hold the button for 5 seconds and turn off BOTH TC/AH and play hero.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote